+ Reply to Thread

xv6600 GPS voice announce HELP!

looking for GPS mapping with voice announce for my Verizon VX6600. I currently use microsoft streets and trips on my home system but need something with voice announce for my pocket PC.
    Last edited by clin; 07-02-2005 at 06:18 PM.

there are many options out there. i currently use tomtom but you have plenty of choices. i suggest you read up on gpspassion.com and pocketgps.co.uk. both have plenty of info.

i have been looking for about a month. just do not see info GPS with xv6600

Forever Confused
    There are about a dozen different software/bundles out there. A few are mentioned in the 660x threads. Others are talked about in other pda threads.

A simple search should come up with most all.

edit: Ok.....search isn't working right now...But I don't think I've heard of any that didn't work with the 660x. And gpspassion.com and pocketgps.co.uk will have more info.
    Last edited by cougargt; 07-02-2005 at 08:18 PM.

If you don't have the bluetooth gps unit, I think the Garmin GPS 10 is an excellent choice for the money (approx $210.) If you have the GPS part, there are a bunch of software & map packages available. I have only used Garmin, but some people swear by iGuidance or TomTom to name two.
    Stairman

you will not see information specific to the 6600 listed on those sites. information on pda navigation sections will provide alot of information though. your options are a bluetooth unit and software or a wired antenna and software. products compatible with an xda can be used with the 6600. tomtom is popular choice because its pretty easy to use, has a simple interface and a nice 3d visual display. i've been using it a few years and it's not bad. that said i've been looking to switch to something else due to some routing issues i don't like with the software. i haven't found a product to replace it yet though. i'm waiting to see reviews when oncourse navigator 5 comes out. some people also recommend iguidance or mapopolis (sp?) . gpspassion has a nice chart listing software, features and the +/- of each software option. you can start there and then read the forums to see what people have to say about the products. i would have bought ocn4 but read about a bug involving looking up numbered highways. since almost every highway in nj is numbered, i knew i had to wait and see about ocn 5.

There really isn't anything specific to the XV6600 to look for. GPSpassion.com is an excellent resource for general information...software and hardware. If a package is designed to work with WM2003, you should have no problem on the XV6600.

FWIW, I'm using OnCourse Navigator 4 with a Socket BT GPS unit. Couldn't be happier. Accurate directions and map, voice directions, recalculates route if you miss a turn. Navigon and TomTom are also other packages that have gotten pretty good reviews.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.