+ Reply to Thread

Latest Wifi Developments?

I have been watching this board for wifi news on the 6600. I have read all the (now old) wifi threads/posts and the FAQ. Since we have seen about 3 weeks of no wifi discussion and several of the SDIO cards were rumored to be needing driver update, I wanted to ask if there is any new news. Has anyone gotten a SDIO wifi card to work reliably without a soft reset? Thanks.

I'm anxioiusly awaiting the arrival of my updated Socket SDIO card, Socketcom is exchanging it for free. I had an early version of the card which had a number of problems according to Socketcom. I doubt it is going to fix the soft reset issue though. They haven't updated drivers since 2/1/05. The wifi utility was recently updated however, 5/16/05.
    Verizon Treo 700w, retired xv6600

Originally posted by capteeou
    I'm anxioiusly awaiting the arrival of my updated Socket SDIO card, Socketcom is exchanging it for free. I had an early version of the card which had a number of problems according to Socketcom. I doubt it is going to fix the soft reset issue though. They haven't updated drivers since 2/1/05. The wifi utility was recently updated however, 5/16/05.
    Do you have any info on this (maybe I missed it in other posts)? I've got a Socket SDIO card, and have been having issues and didn't realize they were replacing them...

Thanks!

-Mike

They replaced one for me, and I couldn't pick up a signal at all with the second one. So now I've RMA'd that one and am waiting on my third one. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

They replaced one for me, and I couldn't pick up a signal at all with the second one. So now I've RMA'd that one and am waiting on my third one. - sheureka
    Did your original one have an orange sticker on the card and the new one a blue sticker? I kind of figured the orange ones were the old rev A and blue ones as are displayed on their website are the newer ones.

I have an orange one marked copyright 2003 on the back, but the copyright date may have nothing to do with the age. The p/n does say 8510-00204 A, where "A" could be the rev?

-Mike

Thanks Capteeou. Please let us know if you see improvements. This phone with stable wifi in my mind is a strong i730 competitor... gotta have my SKYPE from overseas trips

I got my Socket card back today and on the RMA sheet it said "repaired". I plugged it into my xv6600 and now it's worse that before! When I soft reset the phone like I always have to for the wifi to work the PPC locks up. I even unistalled and reinstalled the drivers and the wifi companion software but it doesn't work.

I have opened a new ticket with Socket and asked them to clarify what they mean by "repaired". Did they put new insides in the card or did they update the firmware or something? Good thing having wifi on my phone isn't vital for me it's just a toy.

With the long delays they take to respond to support issues and other people having similar problems with their wifi card I wonder if Socket is having problems as a company as a whole or just this card.

Originally posted by capteeou
    Did your original one have an orange sticker on the card and the new one a blue sticker? I kind of figured the orange ones were the old rev A and blue ones as are displayed on their website are the newer ones.
    I can't remember what color they were! I do know that they didn't "repair" my first card - it had a different serial number than the second one. Who knows what they'll do this time? I should have left well enough alone with the first one. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.