+ Reply to Thread

Verizon - Recomended Today Screen Plug-In's?

It seems that the Today screen Plugin's for the Verizon XV6600 seem to have a great affect on the stability of the PPC. I used to use Journal Bar, until I removed it for a test and found I had far less resets.

Currently I am using the following successfully.

PhoneAlarm - ***** GREAT APP
    SPB Pocket Plus – Good for Battery and Task Manager

I am looking for recommendations on others, one for weather, and the second for network data status.

I would be interested in any other apps that you have found as useful and stable.

Thanks!
    Verizon XV6600WOC
    ROM 2.07.00 WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.112WWE HW.V. 0041

I use SPB PocketPlus for the today screen plugin because I can always easily see how much battery I have left and because I can put whatever shortcuts I want on the screen. I also use the SPB weather which I place inside the Pocketplus bar.

One thing to note is that any today plugin is going to tax resources and probably add some stability issues with the ppc. I've found that I can more easily live with the few more resets that I have to do that I can live without easy access to my regularly used applications. I find it painfully annoying to have to drill down a few layers to get to the apps whereas with pocketplus they are right there in front of me and one tap away. The few added resets are an easy tradeoff for me. For others --- YMMV.

R

I used SPB PocketPlus and Weather, and they were just too bloated for me. Now I'm using Marsware for weather and HandyLauncher, HandyMenu, and HandySwitcher. I'm a big DinarSoft fan and also use MemMaid. The programs are cheap, don't seem to tax my system, and do everything I want them to. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I have to agree with Race Dog about SPB Pocket Plus and SPB Weather. I was also using SPB GPRS monitor, but there is no use for that since PhoneAlarm added a disconnect button. I am waiting for Bruce, the creator of PhoneAlarm to update ButtonMax and Alarmtoday to run more smoothly on the 6600 and then I will probably run those as well.

Sphinx88 - you mentioned SPB Pocket Plus for use as a Task Manager. What did you mean by that?

I'm also using PocketPlus and Weather as well as Diary by Spb...but I think I'm going to have to change that around due to some conflicts. I was using PocketPlus, Contact Breeze, and Pocket Weather. I liked that you could integrate Weather with PocketPlus. But after making the change, my 'stable' config went downhill. Pretty much got everything working except for OnCourse Navigator. Think I'm going to go back to my original setup as that seemed to be less taxing.

In terms of a task manager, I think he was referring to that PocketPlus adds functionality to the close button. If you hold the button down, you can close an app, minimize, or close all open apps.

Does anyone using PocketPlus feel that your battery life is better? Since it assists in actually closing programs I wonder if not having apps 'running' why the PDA is powered off conserves energy. Since using PocketPlus, I've noticed my battery life seems to be better.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Originally posted by n8mack33
    Sphinx88 - you mentioned SPB Pocket Plus for use as a Task Manager. What did you mean by that?
    Once you install Pocket Plus, it will modify the close button. If you press and Hold, it will bring up a list of all running programs. Also you can asign the button so it will truly close programs, and not just minimize them. One of it's more useful features. I personally like the battery meeter on the top.

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    Does anyone using PocketPlus feel that your battery life is better? Since it assists in actually closing programs I wonder if not having apps 'running' why the PDA is powered off conserves energy. Since using PocketPlus, I've noticed my battery life seems to be better.
    I can't say that I have really seen any difference. It was my understanding that the PPC is basically running all of the time. The power off button seems to just lock the buttons (If requested) and turn off the screen. MY REAL BATTERY KILLER IS VERIZON - since I started switching from 1X to EV I am getting about 30% of the battery life I was getting before. I hope EV is going to be here soon.
    Last edited by sphinx88; 07-06-2005 at 07:24 AM.
    Verizon XV6600WOC
    ROM 2.07.00 WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.112WWE HW.V. 0041