+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PhotoContacts Pro (3.0)

PhotoContacts Pro 3.0 is now out. It includes support for caller-ID and categorized ringtones, as well as its existing support for photos.

Note that this is not a ripped-out-of-some-other-phone's ROM version. This is an actual release that works on the XV6600 Someone posted the link to the demo and purchase information on Handango a few days ago; now the PocketX website (www.pocketx.net) has been updated as well.

So far, I've really only just started using it, but it appears to do the job as advertised

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    So... how well is it working?

Also... you said "3.0" but I only see 1.2...

E

Settings->System->Remove Programs.

Probably safer to remove it and then install the new one than to install on top.

Then it's not installed.

Or you're not running an XV6600 There are HTC variants that come with a version of PhotoContacts built-in. In this environment, it probably can't be removed; in which case, I have no idea what happens if you install Pro 3.0 on top of it.

Unhappy ppc 6600

do they have this program for the audiovox ppc-6600?

Nominally Diverged
    Actually, on the PPC-6600 the "included" photocontacts dosen't show up to allow uninstalling it.

To make it truely right you need to cook your extended ROM to not load the stock photocontacts (I simply renamed mine).

Oterwise the new one and the old one will "fight" (not to mention the fact that valuable memory is wasted loading the old version).

Only bug I see in V3.0 so far is that if you open photocontacts to assign photos, ringtones, do general maintenance, etc. And then close it, and then go to Memory in Settings and remove the program from memory, it will stop working until ou load it again.

It loads during a soft boot automatically, but dosen't show in system->memory until you open the program from the Programs folder. Once you have opened it, it MUST remain in memory as visiable via system->memory or you won't get any caller ID.

Only way to fix this is a soft reboot, and then DON'T open the program.

Other than this, I have been using it for a couple months, and it works well on the PPC-6600.

'sig

Originally posted by sigpaw
    Actually, on the PPC-6600 the "included" photocontacts dosen't show up to allow uninstalling it

To make it truely right you need to cook your extended ROM to not load the stock photocontacts (I simply renamed mine).

Oterwise the new one and the old one will "fight" (not to mention the fact that valuable memory is wasted loading the old version). . . .
    I've loaded the 2.0 version that's floating around on my PPC6600 and haven't seen any conflict at all with the ROM version. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

What's the name for the 2.0 Version I would like to install that on my PPC-6600

Originally posted by ElCamino
    What's the name for the 2.0 Version I would like to install that on my PPC-6600
    Whoops! It's actually v1[1].20 - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I am the POTIONS MAHHSTER!!! jaderaven's Avatar
    Originally posted by sheureka
    Whoops! It's actually v1[1].20 - sheureka
    The 1.2 version on our phones and this 3.0 version are actually 2 different programs that have simular names made by two different companies. The 3.0 Photocontacts spoken of in this thread WILL conflict with the built in app that came with our phones.
    iPhone - AT&T
    Past phones:
    Samsung i700 -Verizon
    XV6600 - Verizon

Interesting. I installed version 1.2 of PhotoContacts and it seemed to work well until the phone actually rang. Then I see flickering pictures and message "bubbles". Sound is also for crap. and so i go to uninstall and it's not in the Remove Programs list. Any suggestions? Please?

Amazing what a difference it is. PM me if you're interested in seeing how nice Photocontacts Pro is compared to the 1.2 OEM style version.

Question

And now- I can't figure out how to turn off the other caller ID/photocontacts program.

I've only had this thing for two days- it wouln't kill me to do a hard reset and start from scratch. Would that get rid of the conflict if I didn't reinstall the 1.2 version of PhotoContacts?

Make sure that it's not in the Extended ROM and being auto-installed on a hard reset.

Also, have you tried removing it from the remove programs panel?

Ehud

Pardon my ignorance.
    I wouldn't know what the "Extended ROM" was if it hit me in the head.

Removing which? I can remove the PC Pro3.0 from the Remove Programs panel. But the regular PC 1.2 doesn't show up there and THAT's the one I'd like to remove. Or at least disable.

I see that you are new here, so don't take this disrespectfully, but you are biting off an awful lot. It may be you are not a novice.. in which case you will be fine, but if you are, stick with 1.2 which comes with your phone.

In a nutshell:
    when you hard reset your phone installs applications. some of them can't be uninstalled. one of those is caller id (photo contacts 1.2).

To prevent that from being installed what you'll want to do is
    1. unhide your extended rom
    2. unlock your extended rom
    3. edit the configuration file in the extended rom and remove the command that installs the caller ID application
    4. lock your extended rom
    5. hard reset
    6. have fun installing photo contacts 3.

You will want to search to figure out how to do #1-4.

E

LMFAO.
    I have no idea which one of my tinkerings worked, but now it's almost perfect.
    The original caller ID shows up, but just flashes on the screen and then the "pretty" Photocontacts takes over. Ringtones all work nicely. Sound quality is good.
    I turned off the VC for the phone announcements. I reset the new PCP3.0. I changed a few of the ringers. Who knows? We'll see if it lasts!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Ehud
    I see that you are new here, so don't take this disrespectfully, but you are biting off an awful lot. It may be you are not a novice.. in which case you will be fine, but if you are, stick with 1.2 which comes with your phone.

In a nutshell:
    when you hard reset your phone installs applications. some of them can't be uninstalled. one of those is caller id (photo contacts 1.2).

3. edit the configuration file in the extended rom and remove the command that installs the caller ID application
    5. hard reset

E
    Wow. No disrespect taken. While I'm not a novice with a computer, I certainly am with this [2-day-old] 6600.
    I really don't want to do steps 1-4, so as long as the setup keeps working like it is, I'll be happy. If it starts going crazy again... I'll do as you say and just uninstall PCP3 and work w/PC1.2.

Thank you for your input!

Originally posted by Ehud

In a nutshell:

5. hard reset

E

Definitely no disrespect meant to Ehud, whose knowledge of these things GREATLY eclipses mine. But, sometimes the less knowledgable can come up with dumber ways to do things.

Might it be easier to

1. Locate and rename the original photocontacts 1.2 executable to something else
    2. copy the new 3.0 executable to that same directory
    3. rename the 3.0 executable to the 1.2's name

This probably would have to be re-done with every hard reset (sorry, I still think of it as a cold boot) but you might be able to write a .bat file to do it? Do PPCs even run .bat files?