+ Reply to Thread
    CRB

EVDO/1xRTT switching - Battery Draining

Greetings,
    This is my first post and I want to say I've been very impressed with community...and THANKS for the many answers to problems I've found here.

I've had my Verizon XV6600 for ~3 months and have been quite happy with it. I'm located in the Twin Cities, MN with a 1xRTT connection.

Last week, my connection icon started switching intermittently between EV & 1X, but apparently maintaining my 1X connection. Ever since this began happening, my battery life has plummeted. From some searching on these boards, I don't think I'm the only one seeing the battery draining issue.

I called Verizon Data Support directly and was met with some poor customer service and "that doesn't have anything to do with battery life" from 2 different support 'technicians'.

Anyone else here in the Twin Cities on Verizon having this problem?

Anyone getting through to Verizon Data Services they may have a problem here?

Anyone have an ETA for EVDO in Minneapolis/St. Paul?

Thanks in advance,
    CRB

Other people in areas where they are turning up the EVDO service are having issues just like you, and it doesn't have to do with the phone itself, just the fact that its "switching" causes the drain. Others on other boards with VCAST capable evdo phones have seen this issue as well. They were able to force "1x" mode until EVDO was fully turned up to fix the issue. I think its PRL related and I am not sure if you can force a PRL that isn't EVDO aware to fix it or not.... anyone have any idea?

Welcome to the group.

I had the same problem that you are experiencing. It occurred just before they turned up EVDO in my area and appeared to be related to the testing. I was able to install an older PRL and keep it from switching back and forth.

Here is a thread I started on it: Verizon New PRL causing battery life issue?

Regards,
    Brian

Hopefully, the Twin Cities will have EVDO by the time I go back up there in mid-July. Really bites that VZW couldn't come up with a better method of handling this without killing everyone's battery in the process.

Wonder is the SPCS users have experienced similar issues with their rollout?

Anyway, good luck and welcome (eventually) the the world of EVDO.

Bob Duckworth

I've noticed this as well -- the funny thing is that I haven't seen the Twin Cities actually listed on any of Verizon's 'EVDO coming soon' lists!

For at least part of the day on Monday, I had a solid EV signal, which was nice; and when it's solid, the battery doesn't appear to drain any worse than when it's solid 1xRTT.

Something about the switching back and forth, however, causes the radio to draw more power than it should. It's quite possible that Verizon themselves honestly don't realise this, although I'm not sure how they could have missed it by now.

Fully Converged
    I started the switching in Daytona Beach last week, for about 30 minutes, then it stopped as abruptly as it begain. I was so hopeful, since for everyone else this has been a precursor of EVDO being implemented. But maybe it is still a good sign...
    Charles Mims

I live in the south, Birmingham, AL to be exact. We aren't scheduled to get EV until the end of the year. I'm ready to play with the faster speed!
    Last edited by BetaMan; 10-10-2005 at 07:14 AM.
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Originally posted by BetaMan
    I live in the south, Birmingham, AL to gbe exact. We aren't scheduled to get EV until the end of the year. I'm ready to play with the faster speed!
    I'm moving to Montgomery by the summer's end. We'll NEVER see it there. Thank God I travel.

Bob Duckworth