+ Reply to Thread

Low ringer volume even when ringtone is amplified

Has anyone realized that even though the ringtone has been amplified and shows that it has been amplified when playing it through the pc and through the phone itself when trying to sample to ringtones in the ringtone selection screen, the actual ring when people call is still low? its not the same when u sample them in the rintone selection screen and when someone actually calls you and your phone rings...

Is this normal on the xv6600?? any fix for this problem?

The stock ringtones are VERY low, volume wise. EVERYONE gripes about that. Don't know why they haven't fixed that yet.

I downloaded "Standard Loud" ringtone from this forum and it works great! It is loud enough and isn't a weird ringer. Try it!
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

yea i know... i make my own custom ringers and when i amplify them they come out great and loud just the way i want it when i sample it in the ringers selsction but when i get a call its alot lower than what i hear than when i sample it....

Somtimes I see this. Do you have a BT headset? If so, I think it acts like MS VC does, if you activate the headset, sounds for the phone come out at "headset volume" but through the speaker.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I am having the same problem I downloaded the louder ring tone and it sounds loud when I sample it on the ppc but when it rings through the phone app it is quiet. I also have the same problem with volume in every app it is sufficienly loud ( mp3s, avis, ect) but at the same volume level when I answer the phone it is softer sounding. I have been having this problem even before I got a bluetooth headset. Any fixes?

Danno

i have a BT headset but even though when i dont use it (bluetooth off, and pairing erased etc), it still does it... its as if they put a volume limiter for the actual ring when people call. Sampling the ringers has no problem its exactly how loud i would like the ringers to be... The actual ringer is so low i miss alot of calls even though vibrate is on...

the coice volume is low as well in noisy environments I have to put it on speakerphone. but the volume is fine for mp3s and video ( in headphones of course) but when a call comes in at the same volume level it is much more quiet.

Danno

its a set up problem when it comes to playback of ring tones and actual call rings. just test your phone by calling it and when it rings hit the volume switch at the same time and boost the right volume bar up all the way. you might have it set a notch lower without realizing it. you might even have to recall to get it up all the way because itmight stop ringing while going up like 1 or 2 notches.

not sure wat u mean because it doesnt let me make the volume any higher... when i try to increase volume ringer just stops playing...

thats what i said when you try to adjust but, it could be after 1 ring or even 2 rings that the ringing will stop. I had to make like 4 calls to my phone to raise the volume. I thought when the phone was off you could adjust the ringer volume through the volume settings on the left but, even though it said the volume was up all the way, when it was ringing it was droped like 2 notches lower so i had to call the phone and readjust. but, it would ring either once or twice the shut off just to go up one notch.
    ephyouckay when the phone is ringing and you check the volume and if it says the phone volume is all the way up, it wont get any louder

I think people are confused what this thread is about.

This thread is NOT about low ring-tone volume!!

This thread IS about ring-tone preview being louder than actual ring, this discrepancy occuring only when ringer volume is at maximum.

Here is how to see this behaviour:

1) Set your ringer volume to maximum
    2) Open up phone settings
    3) Call your phone, listen to the actual ring, click ignore.
    4) Click the play button in phone settings, listen to the ring preview

The actual ring sounds lower than the preview ring volume, about the same as the preview ring with the volume turned one notch lower than maximum. (If your ringer volume is not set to maximum, the preview and the actual ring play at the same volume.)

Also, while the first 5 rings play at the incorrect volume, a fraction of the 6th and final ring sounds at the correct maximal volume.

WHY??? SOMEONE SENIOR ON THIS FORUM PLEEEEEEASE EXPLAIN THIS BEHAVIOR.

The aspects of this behaviour lead me to believe this is the kind of bug that can be solved by some obscure sequence of setting tone volumes and and doing resets to latch on the correct volume. Also, this seems easily fixed by a patch by those versed in the art of windows mobile programming. Does something like that exist?

I know I can work-around by downloading louder ringtones, but I'd rather have things work properly than do work-arounds. The ringtones sound plenty loud in preview!

A concluding request to those with ROMS different from mine: please try out the 4 steps above and check whether this behaviour is the same for your version.
    Last edited by rbelikov; 07-20-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    XV6600 ROM 2.07.00WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.111WWE hardware version 0041

I bought ms voice command last week, all of a sudden I notice my ringers are all MUCH quieter, I figured it out though, when voice command annoced the caller it seems to lower the ringer volume todo so, I told voice command not to announce callers in the settings and bamb, loud ringers again.
    Telus 6600 w/camera, Logitech mobile freedom, 1Gb SD
    Rom 2.04.00 WWE, Radio HA01_147, ExtRom 2.04.115 WWE, BT3500

Hmm -- I don't have voice command... Updatelee, could you check if your ring volume is lower than the preview volume at loudest volume setting?

It is.

preview is louder then accual ring, Ive searched the forums far and wide and people have tried regediting but nothing seems to work, it seems hard coded into the OS that ringers are supposed to be quieter then they could be
    Telus 6600 w/camera, Logitech mobile freedom, 1Gb SD
    Rom 2.04.00 WWE, Radio HA01_147, ExtRom 2.04.115 WWE, BT3500

Originally posted by updatelee

ringers are supposed to be quieter then they could be
    I think there are two separate issues here

One: the ringer files are recorded quiter than normal. This is widely known and is a putative feature to prevent hearing damage. Or something.

Two: these low ringer recordings are not even played back at full volume when recieving calls. My understanding is that this is not widely known at all, and therefore may be a bug. Particularly since the 6th ring plays back at full volume before being cut off by the voicemail greeting.

I'm ok with #1, but if #2 is a bug, one would hope there would be a patch eventually

The preview playing louder than the actual ring has been a known issue for since it was first released last Nov. So far no one had been able to find any fix, reg edit, patch, etc....to fix it. As far as I know no one knows why.

So, I have modified several system sounds and ringtones to be extra loud and included links to the free software for you make and modify your own.

Lound Ring Tones & System Sounds:
    You think the ringtones are not loud enough? Never miss another call with this collection of LOUD ringtones and System sounds:
    Loud Ringtones & System Sounds!!!!!

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Hey.....this was my 500th post. Just a personal milestone worth a mention
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07-21-2005 at 01:39 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/