+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Irrefutable proov of 660 1x-ev?

From what I can ascertain from threads, so far, is that it's capable of doing 1x-ev.

However, I can see ev-icon but no sid/nid. Just so=33023---3 being voice and 33=1x. No 59=so present. Phone will just drop and search for voice channel (My market won't be even active before end of 1q-06).

Supposedly, 1x-ev asks for additional identification ev userid/password configuration parameters.
    So, if being true then when I request ev-channel the authenticator says no way and then let's you search for another signal.

That would appear to show why only aircards are only allowed onto the network.

Having known these pieces of information why give false impressions that this device will work on the network now or later(I will refer to Houston and/or Verizon threads regarding aircardv.pocketpc and vzw ev-indicators with 1x speeds in highspeed service area)?

Someone has been pushing ever so slightly Samsung's pc-ev version. Frankly, I could care less for their product.

If I am going to be nudged into that solution I'll definately make a better, more educated decision regarding this entire fiasco.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I don't understand all that, except that 33 is also true of EV. It's not just for 1x. That was the case in Las Vegas this weekend. I can do more testing next time I go out there.

Ehud
    p.s. WHAT fiasco are you talking about?

It's nice to see you again Ehud. I keep forgetting by the time I get the whole message entered, you've already replied. Ho-ho-ho.

Fiasco I'm referring to is why did Srrint or why do they say one thing and then do another, being promised ev-device ready and capable when only some technicians are the ones allowing themselves to use that available bandwidth at will.

To show only their device has authentication onto the network and keep some or enough people interested only to be led to another "why not just wait for Samsung's ev-version pc... "

No way am I going to believe that line of sales pitches.

Verizon is becoming more pallatable if I have to spend more money than reasonable and necessary .

I try to reply before the question, so that it need not be asked. It does annoy the Keepers-of-Monotonic-Time, but they only know about it when it's already happenned.

Sprint is a corporation that has public documents. It also has people authorized to speak on its behalf. None of them say the device is not EV capable.

It is true that some Sprint customer support people have said things like that, but as you know, not only do they not speak for Sprint, but THEY DON'T KNOW SQUAT.

It's funny. When Sprint tech support lies to one of our forum members, eventually he (or she) gets here and we tell them "Sorry, tech support is clueless." Then we give them the real answer.

The same thing is true about EV. The phone supports EV. Sprint hasn't rolled it out. When they do, this phone will support it. (If not, you can join the class action lawsuit... but it won't happen.)

Ehud

Service option 33 is 1xRTT, Service option 59 is 1x-EVDO. I have no idea what service option 33023 is (and believe me, I've been looking).

If the phone is showing SO=33, it's doing 1xRTT. Now, you can apparently soft-handoff up and down between 1x and EV, and field monitor shows you what the phone is operating on AT THE TIME.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

It was a five digit number that started with 33... but I don't remember what it was. I don't think there was a 59 anywhere in there.

I will take notes/screenshots next time.

E

No, I've seen that on the XV66000 before - I don't know what it means (the 33023 service option). It SHOULD be 59 for EV, but then this weird 33023 comes in and I can't figure out why. If you can get a stream going, see what SO is showing during the stream (and also what option is showing on the status line, 1X or EV). LVNV is an EVDO area for sure, so you should be getting EV.

None of this helps get EV on sprint, but that'll require a radio stack update, I'm pretty sure
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

So... when will we see EV in Tucson, knowledgeable ones?

E

If that's directed at me, I have no idea.I'm a hobbyist on this one, that's all

For Sprint, an upgrade is required to the 6600 to enable EV. A correct PRL is also needed. There is NO special authentication at this time. Trust me, I use EV on the 6600 on Sprint. And no I will not distribute the PRL. With Sprint announcing EV-DO today, you will see areas come online in the next few months. An official upgrade is rumored to be out in Sep/Oct. for the 6600.
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

Skippy - thanks! Your info is exactly what's needed for here

Plus it tells me that when Vzw releases EVDO in Tucson it will work, which explains why the test-market people can get it, and it never shows up on my xv6600.

Ehud
    (the unoffical search-******* of this forum)

Hey Ehud,

In my home area, EV isn't available yet. However, I travel to Atlanta and Washington, D.C. and EV works fine in both places. I use an XV6600 and am with Verizon, so, your's should work the same.
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Geek
    I have been on EVDO networks for months on Verizon with 2.03 so I can't imagine an issue once you get the right PRL.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600

Maybe I wasn't clear...

I get EVDO on my phone when I'm in Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Is is being offered in Tucson to select test customers only. That list does NOT include me and I never see EV while I'm in Tucson.

That's why I enjoyed learning the technical mumbo jumbo above. It makes me feel glad to know that NOT seeing EV/1X and so on is NOT a bad sign

Also.. it's not a PRL issue.

Ehud

Geek
    well then.....nevermind!
    Dan Kunz - XV6600

Wait EVDO is available in phoenix? What area's of phoenix?

Anything special I need to do to see it work?

Reading links to wifi service via evdo-spcs I hadn't known seevice is available at ups+b&n stores.
    They aren't too far away, perhaps 2-3 mi.

I know definately Sprint does not provide any local telephone service.

Could be it possible these stores are point-to-point via microwave transmission or otherwise and I'm just picking up that signal?

Well, then again T-mo uses dedicated t-1 lines at fedex/kinkos. So, maybe not.

Just a thought.

It's probable that they have a "test" PRL that can "see" the EV towers in your area; when it goes live, you might have to update your PRL using *228, or they may just change how the towers are sending their IDs

Verizon EV is live in phoenix. Pretty much everywhere. Scottsdale, Tempe, Phoenix.

If you're not getting it call Verizon, ask for the data group, and have them turn on EVDO access for your account and phone.

Ehud

What does verizona charge you to add a new phone to you plan with the 6600 and add data, is it much more expensive then if i add it to my sprint account?