+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracked screen

Cracked screen

Well it finally happen to me. I picked up my phone yesterday and noticed a nice big crack running up the side of the screen. I never dropped the phone once. You can see the start of the spider web crack under the windows button so I am pretty sure it was a defect.

I talked to the guys at the Verizon store and they said I was SOL. I then called CS and they sent me out a refurbed phone. However they said if they decide it was my fault they will charge me for a new phone. Has this happen to anyone? I never dropped it and treated it with kid gloves but it make me nervous cause we all know how the big companies treat us little guys. I think I am going to take alot of pictures before I send the old one back.

Now they tell me I can't get any insurance on this phone has anyone been able to add insurance after there 15 days? I would hate to have to go thru this again.

Thanks for all the good info guys.

Wildcatbn

Never heard of screen cracking from defect, yet. Your's is the first for me. I have mine insured and I am with Verizon. This will be a tough one to prove to Verizon in my estimation. Good Luck!
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Well the guys at the local shop were as shocked as I was. The crack starts well below the edge of the metal faceplate. I seen in another post other people are haveing problems with screens cracking. Wonder if this was due to droping or just pressing on the buttons.

Wildcatbn

Originally posted by wildcatbn
    Well the guys at the local shop were as shocked as I was. The crack starts well below the edge of the metal faceplate. I seen in another post other people are haveing problems with screens cracking. Wonder if this was due to droping or just pressing on the buttons.

Wildcatbn
    Depending on the situation, these guys can help some people...

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...updateunit.htm

btf

My wifes PDA "cracked all by itself" too. We're suspicious that a guest we had over for a few days might have played with it and accidentally dropped it. Are you 100% sure no one else came in contact with it? Do you ever put it in your pocket? I've dropped mine 2 times now pretty bad and other than scratches, I've been lucky.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

I use a belt clip so no never in my pocket. The funny thing is the screen was fine the night before when I put it in the cradle and it was sitting there in the morning in the same spot.

I would leave my kid sitting around before I would let my phone out of my sight so I don't think that is the issue. If I ever get the pics taken I will try and post it so you guys can see where the crack started and such.

wildcatbn

Converged
    I've ended up with a cracked screen too.

A few days ago while at work, I was pushing some equipment out of the way and I had my XV6600 in it's case in back pocket where I've been carrying it for weeks with no problems.

When I pushed on this particular piece I was up against another one in back of me and it pressed on my phone. Later on when I went to use the phone, walla, a crack starting just to the right of the Start button going up about midway on the right side of the screen.

Now I'm having trouble using the thing as the screen there doesn't match my screen taps.

I called Asurion which I have a policy with through Verizon Wireless. They took my report and said I'd be contacted in about 2 to 3 business days by another agent. I guess to tell me what the outcome is or how to finalize my claim or whatever....

Hope this turns out that I don't have to pay a deductable or whatever and that I can get it quickly.. This sucks having a broken phone.

PS Pocket PC Techs lists a repair for the screen @ $149.00

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...updateunit.htm
    Larry Aubin
    Verizon XV6600 WC
    ExtROM 1.36.116 WWE, ROM 1.36.00 WWE, Radio HA01_151, Extended 3550 Battery, iTrek BT GPS

Well it happen again. Didn't drop it and handled it with kid gloves. Not sure what the problems is but I am glad I have the insurance.

Weird thing was I was able to use my for for 2 more days then the screen shattered when I was pressing on it. Then every time I pressed on it there would be more cracks.

Oh well guess I will wait for my replacement.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    I'd try a different case. maybe your case is smooshing it. i'm using an eb slipper right now and it fits tight but not as tight as the OEM case. I've seen 6600s take some nasty falls before and have only seen 1 screen crack. and that was 'cause it bounced against the corner of a desk.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen