+ Reply to Thread

Headset Suggestions Wired vs Bluetooth in Convertible

Does anyone have any suggestions for a headset?
    I drive a convertible, and i find that the "speakerphone" on the 6600 is not loud enough. i was going to go with a BT headset, but i'm finding that it does not connect with MS Voice command. So i am debating about going with a wired headset. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Headset Suggestions Wired vs Bluetooth in Convertible

Originally posted by Jackflash
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a headset?
    I drive a convertible, and i find that the "speakerphone" on the 6600 is not loud enough. i was going to go with a BT headset, but i'm finding that it does not connect with MS Voice command. So i am debating about going with a wired headset. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I have yet to find a BT headset that can deal with real world noise worth a crap on the mic end. The closest i've come is a Jabra 250.

I'd go wired, and I may end up getting the Etymotics headset, the earpiece looks sweet.
    John C. Welch Writer/Analyst
    Bynkii.com Mac and other opinions
    jwelch@bynkii.com

Actually.....

I use the Logitech Mobile Freedom BT Headset (the phalic shaped ugly black one) with the windstop technology (don't be too impressed it just a composite type of foam that is over the mic hole).

This ugly thing seems to work very well in windy conditions. I use it in my noisy Yukon with the windows down all the time. The volume is 'just' loud enough for me...but then again I'm 1/2 deaf too so nothing is ever too loud

I havent found a bluetooth solution that works well in my convertable, including the HBH 660 and the Bluespoon AX, and a couple of Jabra models. I havent tried anywired ones as I usually have to fully put the PPC to my ear to hear and speak.

Let me know what you find as I would love to have a solution when I have my top down.
    iPhone 3GS !!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    you can't use a headset in a convertible. problem solved. and shut-up ehud. i don't need your input.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    ditto.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    i'm willing to investigate this problem further. but i will need some help. somebody needs to buy me a convertible.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

I agree there is probably no BT solution to top-down driving. But I have used a handsfree solution in my convertible for a few years that works very well. I also use it in my SUV.

First, I bought "The Boom" headset from www.theboom.com. I'm surprised this company hasn't licensed their technology more aggressively to major headset manufacturers, because it's incredibly effective. I can drive at 70mph with the top down and stereo on -- so loud I can't hear my own voice -- and the other party can hear me clearly. Not an exaggeration; I've left voicemails for myself to test it, and the mic performance is really astonishing. Especially given that the noise-cancellation is purely acoustical, not digital.

There are two drawbacks. 1. The form factor of the headset is not great. I personally don't find it comfortable. 2. The mic has to be positioned very close to your mouth.

So I cobbled together a solution that gave me true handsfree in a Lexus SC430. It allows me to speak into The Boom, listen to the caller through my stereo speakers, and prevent the caller from hearing any echo:

1. I cut the mic part of The Boom away from the rest of the headset, and mounted it on a small gooseneck that I attached to my headrest. This allows me to position the mic precisely when I'm using it, and move it out of the way when I'm not.

2. I plugged a headset extension cable into my phone's headset jack. The cable ends in a Y-splitter (available at Radio Shack).

3. For one of the Y-jacks, I plugged The Boom into it.

4. For the other Y-jack, I plugged in a small inline amplifier (Radio Shack). I then plugged a cassette adapter into the amplifier (like the kind that allows you to listen to a walkman over your car stereo).

Net results:
    - The caller hears me very clearly thanks to The Boom.
    - I can hear the caller clearly thanks to my stereo speakers and the mini-amp.
    - The caller hears no echo (i.e., their own voice from the stereo speakers being picked up by the mic) because The Boom noise cancellation is excellent.
    - *Nothing* touches me. No headset to wear on my ear, no wires draped across my chest. It is totally handsfree and touch-free.
    - All I have to do is plug a single cable into the headset jack to hook it up when I get in the car.
    - Because no BT is involved, I can use voice dialing on my XV6600 without limitation.
    - With minimal effort to conceal things, the only visible parts are the gooseneck mic, and the headset cable I plug into my phone.
    - It works with any phone that has a headset jack, and you can use any suitable mic (I just happen to prefer The Boom).

The only tricky parts were cutting the mic part away from The Boom, finding a suitable gooseneck, and mounting it.

I've actually built a few of these prototypes for friends, and they love them. Now I'm thinking of manufacturing a pre-fab version that doesn't require all the work I described above (patent application is already submitted...). Wonder if this sounds interesting to anyone?

Sorry for the long message; hope it might be useful.