+ Reply to Thread

Best backup program?

Well search is kaput, so here is a basic question. What is the best backup program for my PPC6600?

Thanks much.

Sprite backup seems to be the best that I've found, but it costs $30 or so. It let's you schedule backups, backup to PC, and backup to an SD card

Thanx for the recommendation, just bought it. I was getting very tired of the 20 minute backups with the included utility.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Originally posted by pairodimes
    Sprite backup seems to be the best that I've found, but it costs $30 or so. It let's you schedule backups, backup to PC, and backup to an SD card

I second that!

Sprite is the best!
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Installed Sprint and so far had a couple of PPC freezes which needed a soft reset, and Sprite was unable to backup certain files for some reason giving an error message. Never had these problems with xbackup.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Originally posted by SpineDoc
    Installed Sprint and so far had a couple of PPC freezes which needed a soft reset, and Sprite was unable to backup certain files for some reason giving an error message. Never had these problems with xbackup.
    Sprite is hands-down the best PPC backup program I have seen. True, as you say, occasionally is won't backup a couple of files, but it does tell you that it failed and give you the chance to try again. I suggest a nice cleansing soft-reset before you run the Sprite back-up routine. Also, the executable back-up files it will create are worth the price of admission.

Don't leave home without it and the back-up files you created with it.

Bob Duckworth

I use Backup Manager from SunnySoft available at PocketGear where Sprite is not... also cheaper. Has worked impeccably for me, but I do not understand all the options, which include automatically moving copies of backups off storage card to your PC to save roon on storage card.

My only other move after a crash is to restore my Outlook folders via ActiveSync and a registry reset/hack.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

With Sprite, I clean everything up with MemMaid, make sure no programs are running, turn on airplane mode, do a soft reset, then run Sprite. I've never gotten any errors doing it that way. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

My Wife thinks I am a total dork davidgelb's Avatar
    Hey all,
    I have Sprite...if you have it create self restoring backups, will it restore your 3rd party programs as well? For instance, if I have to do a hard reset and then restore with the self-restoring, will it re-install Sprite? Or do I still have to re-install all my apps?

Thanks!!

-David

Originally posted by davidgelb
    Hey all,
    I have Sprite...if you have it create self restoring backups, will it restore your 3rd party programs as well? For instance, if I have to do a hard reset and then restore with the self-restoring, will it re-install Sprite? Or do I still have to re-install all my apps?

Thanks!!

-David
    Yes. But I keep Sprite in storage in case the restore gets messed up and won't "self-restore". But it should go to the exact way it was when you backed it up...
    Jeremiah 29:11

I also like Sprite back-up, surprisingly. I used to use it with my Audiovox (Not the Thera, the non-phone version) and it never restored properly. So I swore I'd never use it again. With my IPaq 5555, never made a backup. With the XV6600, make constant backups and Sprite works like a champ. The only error I run into now is on restorals, it always tells me it couldn't restore AudioGW.DLL, but it doesn't seem to affect the system in any way.

The one thing I wish was possible; have Sprite make an self-restoring/executable backup that could be spanned into multiple files. I'm enviosioning storing the first file in the permanent storage area, the rest in back-up, cook the ROM so on a hard-reset, your backup is automatically restored.

Probably will be a moot point with WM5.0 and persistent storage.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.