+ Reply to Thread

GPS - help me... I'm being an idiot!

OK, so I started with a copy of Microsoft Streets & Trips for my laptop long before I went out & got my Sprint PPC-6600. S&T came with the Pharos IGPS-360.

Software: I downloaded the trial of Mapopolis. It's OK but I'm not in love. I can export S&T maps to the 6600 but it doesn't do routing and cutting the maps up is a pain. So, I went and ordered iGuidance today. Looks cool & reviews (including here) are good.

Hardware: I ordered the CX015 cable kit from Pharos. It works like a charm but cables drive me nuts. Also, the cable from the splitter to the GPS is unreasonably short. So, I'm trying to figure out if I should order the Bluetooth adapter or not. Poking around on eBay, I'm seeing BT GPS units that are a lot cheaper than what I'd be looking at from Pharos for the BT adaptor for my IGPS-360.

Looking for advise. Seems like I'm all set on software but I'd like some guidance on what to do on the hardware end of things. I'm sort of thinking that if I go Bluetooth, I'll be in the best of shape - it'll still work with my laptop and it will work with my 6600.

Help?

can you return the wire gps receiver? i think it is best to go with Bluetooth. Maybe you can return the store and ask them if you can replace with the bluetooth.

I have both before and i find the wire is troublesome. I have bluethooth receiver now and love it. I bought TomTom bluetooth gps kit come with map and bluetooth receiver. I end up using Mobile Navigator 5 software and tomtom receiver instead.

Regardless, having wire in you car look nasty. Good luck

G35mt

Lotsa threads on this. Generally would go bluetooth as very reliable. I have Holux 236 and it is very sensitive receiver. Works fine with DeLorme software. On Com6.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I have used Delorme for my NB, it has PAlm / PPC add-ons.
    I also purchased S&T ( sux BTW) just for the GPS unit.
    I also tried a Pharos BT cradle, worked like a champ with my TREO. not too good with the NB, lost signal quite a bit.

I own/ drive my own 18 wheeler, so I have done quite a bit of experimentation on this.
    My suggestion, for a NB leave the USB.
    For the phone you can put the BT cradle in yer pocket and walk around the city -- way cool!
    in the car use the USB part, you'll be much happier.

CompUSA has the cradle (BT) for a easy (LOL) 100 bux

mouse/USB GPS units can be a hassle. I like BT units for the simplicity (no cords) and portability. Definately get some type of cradle. I'm currently searching for a vent-cradle that can hold the XV6600 horizontally.

How are you liking iGuidance? I was testing Tom Tom 4 over the weekend and think it's pretty good. There are some little nuances between it and OnCourse Navigator 4 that made me like OCN4 better, but TT4 has performed admirably. Gonna stop bumming my friends copy and pick up my own tomorrow.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    mouse/USB GPS units can be a hassle. I like BT units for the simplicity (no cords) and portability. Definately get some type of cradle. I'm currently searching for a vent-cradle that can hold the XV6600 horizontally.

How are you liking iGuidance? I was testing Tom Tom 4 over the weekend and think it's pretty good. There are some little nuances between it and OnCourse Navigator 4 that made me like OCN4 better, but TT4 has performed admirably. Gonna stop bumming my friends copy and pick up my own tomorrow.
    I just ordered iGuidance over the weekend. Hope to get it before my trip on Thursday. I'll let you know what I think.