+ Reply to Thread

Had my 6600 about 2 weeks now, mixed feeling compared to I700 i had previously.

I purchased my PPC 6600 about two weeks ago. I like it but i'm not feeling too secure in the quality of the device. I have Pocketmap navigator, 1gig secure digital. ewallet, a few games, i installed MS Voice software, but it didnt work well.
    My issues.

Now, i'm constantly getting out of memory messages.
    I have to soft reset at least 10 times a day.
    volume for talking even w/headphones is very low.

i'm just not feeling i can trust this device. is there something that i'm missing? some patch or upgrade.

I like this device, but it just does'nt seem very stable to me.
    any suggestions?

Administrator
    i have had the 660x sicne feb i think and i dont have any issues you have. i would suspect your problems are coming from those 3rd party programs you are using. an easy test is to hard reset the phone and use it in its virgin state for a day and see if you have those issues again. my guess its you probably wont. some programs dont play well with others and this could be just such an occasion.

my phone is virgin in the fact that i dont hav any updated frimware or anything...

Possibly, but is'nt that the purpose of a Pocket PC to take advantage of all of the 3rd party software available to utilize it's full potential?

Yes, but just like a PC there are some programs that just wreak havoc on the device and cause it to behave poorly, try to isolate the program and go from there...
    Tom

Can't say I've gotten alot of 'out of memory' errors. Do these come up at random or when you're trying to start an application?

I too just got finished with restablishing a stable config for my 6600. What worked for me...after I installed a piece of software, I tested it and anything I had installed prior. If everything was OK, I made a backup, installed the next app, and repeated the process. Pain in the arse but it gives you a feel for how different software interacts with your system and helps you to isolate conflicts. More than likely, one of the apps or games you have installed doesn't play nicely with other things. It happens...on PPCs and PCs.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

well there are a few main apps that i would like to utilize. Pocketmap Navigator, MS Voice Command, Journal Bar, Battery Bar, PIE Plus. these are the main programs that I utilize. when i installed the demo version of MS Voice Command i had to constantly reset. the same for Pocketmap Navigator. when it works it works well. but i get "Low Memory" messages alot.
    I uninstalled the MS Voice Command, but i still get alot of hangups where i have to soft reset. The memory message comes up when i'm using Pocketmap Navigator. but i have all of the maps on my SD Card

I was having a similar problem with OnCourse Navigator. Even though I had 30/30 mem left (30 prog/30 storage), after I installed a couple pieces of software, I kept getting errors that a critical file was missing or I was out of memory. So I followed that process above and was able to trace the issues back to some today screen plug-ins I had installed plus a few other apps. I pretty much live by the Today screen so to not utilize those apps (and plus waste money since I paid for them) was not acceptable. I switched from OCN4 to Tom Tom 4 and haven't had a single problem.

I know it's a pain but you really should make a backup of your current config and hard reset. Then, reinstall everything, checking and backing up as you go. This way you can root-cause the problem if it's a software conflict, which it sounds like it is. If worse comes to worse and you can't get the software to work as you need it, you can always restore your original config.

Learn from my mistake...backup everything but your e-mail in one file and then make a separate back-up with just e-mail. It'll save you some gray hairs if you have alot of messages.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Thanks i think that's what i'm going to have to do.
    i did a total back up last night, i'll try and reinstall all the apps after a hard reset. that is a pain thought
    would the Rom update have anything to do with the problems?

I upgraded to ROM v2.0300WWE and I don't have any of the problems you are having. Even BEFORE I did the upgrade, I wasn't having any of those problems. I too use Voice Command, eWallet, PIE and tons of other apps. I have a 2 GB SD Card that is over half filled with programs. Things work well on mine! Who is your phone carrier?
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I'm using Sprint as my courier, would that make a difference?
    and also how would i check to see which ROM Version that I have on my PDA?

Re: Had my 6600 about 2 weeks now, mixed feeling compared to I700 i had previously.

Originally posted by Jackflash
    volume for talking even w/headphones is very low.
    Make sure the volume bar on the OEM headphones (little rectangle box) is up...
    Jeremiah 29:11

I did have the volume in both boxes up.

My volume during calls is too loud... Even when I slide the volume bar on the side down during a call it is still too loud. Maybe something is wrong with your particular phone... You might could get a new one to try.
    :butterfly :karate:

DLD

I did have the volume in both boxes up.
    Not the boxes on the screen of the pda, but the little box on the actual headphones. Sorry if that is what you meant, but I just wanted to be clear.

Now i feel really stupid. I didnt even notice the volum on the headphones. i'll bet that was the problem.
    as far as the volume.

Now i feel really stupid. I didnt even notice the volum on the headphones. i'll bet that was the problem.
    as far as the volume.
    Don't feel stupid. I missed it too when I first got it...

Taught me something knew...I didn't know there was a third volume option!!! I'll have to try that. Of course, I left my 6600 home today in a rush to make it to work on time. Stupid mondays!!!

I too have problem when launching navigon 5. Whenever MS VC is enable, i get that memory error. Whenever i use the navigon, i had to disable voice command and it work like a charm.

As one of the reply stated, i will hard reset this weekend and install all apps on the SD instead of the system memory. I think that might resolve the memory issue i have. Maybe that is why he (betaman) doesn't have so much problem cause all of his add on apps are install on SD card.

g35mt

Administrator
    sprint is not the issue with youre problems. im on sprint.. no issues.

doing a cold boot and a monitored install of apps one by one should determine your issues... its almost certain to be some programs not playing well together...