+ Reply to Thread

The Mother of All Configs

Probably not...I bet some of you have more. After many late night hours, many pounds of the fist on my desk, many many cups of coffee and chewing tobacco...my 6600 is stable with just about everything I want. I run the 6600 with a 512 SD card (use the 1 gig for movies) so some apps are installed in storage:

MS Visual Basic Runtimes
    Memory Maid
    Cab Installer
    Resco PhotoView
    Egress (RSS)
    GPSDash
    Handy Menu
    XCPU Scalar
    Lextionary
    ListPro
    MacroMedia Flash Player
    Movian VPN
    Ruksun NewsForce
    Ntoolc Network Tools
    Pocket Mechanix
    1-Calc
    Pocket Player
    Beta Player
    MS Voice Command
    TomTom 4
    .Net Compact Framework
    Pocket Controller
    CodeWallet
    Sprite Backup
    Resco Audio
    Resco Explorer
    SPB Diary
    SPB Weather
    SPB Time
    PocketPlus
    PCAnywhere
    Tweaks2k
    Tweaks2k Flash Player
    Beta Player
    Vito Button Mapper
    Vito Sketch Artist
    Klondike WAP Navigator
    Pocket Informant
    WMIRC

Believe it or not, the XV6600 has been running pretty stable for the last few days. I triple checked all software and it works as it should. The only time I run into performance issues is immediately after a soft reset. Once the Today screen is refreshed, it's smooth sailing!
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I run a lot of the same programs on mine, some different. Where did you get pcAnywhere for Pocket PC?
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

PCAnywhere I bummed from our IT department.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

What version is it? Where can I get it?
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I left my PDA home, so I don't have the version number handy...After I get home from dinner, I'll update. Check your PMs!

I'm impressed. In the famous words of Napoleon's Mother: I hope it lasts.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

BetaMan, v2.0 - Build 121

jerryyyyy, you and me both brotha! That was a hell of a frustrating experience!! So far, holding steady!!

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    [B]BetaMan, v2.0 - Build 121

Where did you get it? I noticed version 11.5 of pcAnywhere mentions something about Pocket PC on it. Is that where it came from? I could use something like that!

Thanks!

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    I left my PDA home, so I don't have the version number handy...After I get home from dinner, I'll update. Check your PMs!
    Big Calhoun!

Please check your PMs!

Thanks!

I bet you only use 40% of those apps on a daily basis. When I first got mine, I ran everything I could run! Now after years of IT work, I run what I need on all my machines and keep the clutter to a minimum. If you do use them all, then that's awesome! Good for you!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Originally posted by dmackdaddy
    I bet you only use 40% of those apps on a daily basis. When I first got mine, I ran everything I could run! Now after years of IT work, I run what I need on all my machines and keep the clutter to a minimum. If you do use them all, then that's awesome! Good for you!
    I'd say you're about right. I mainly rely on my Today screen plug-ins because I admit I'm scatterbrained and my memory is horrible.

The Internet apps vary. Egress and Klondike I pretty much use daily. IRC and Newsforce I use to kill time or when I'm looking for specific information.

Alot of the utilities are used as needed, just to help keep the system running and maintained. Everything else is kind of there as needed.

Initially, I was running everything I could get my hands on, to the point where some functions were duplicated. After OCN started giving me a problem, I took a step back and said, "What functions do I NEED? What functions on the PPC do I want to replace or make better? " and that basically got me to hone in on key apps to replace or improve upon certain things.

Because of the amount of software, I used my standard installation scheme that I've been using since I got into PPCs:

All Today plug-ins are installed in main memory
    Any Internet app capable of downloading alot of data (ex. FTP, NewsForce) is stored in main memory but I point the storage to the storage card. All others like Klondike and Egress are on the storage card.
    Most multimedia apps are in main memory as I have a separate storage card I use for movies and music.
    Most utilities are also on the storage card. Any utility that runs with the system (like HandyMenu) is kept on main memory.
    All games go to the storage card.
    Everything else, case by case basis. Like I kept Tom Tom in main memory, but put the maps on my storage card.

After that is all done, I usally split my memory evenly between storage and programs. So right now I'm at a 32.23/32.27 split.

For the clutter, cause it is alot of stuff, I just created folders under the Programs menu (Internet, Utils, GPS, etc.). But I rarely need to access that because I keep the most frequently used items on the start menu or in PocketPlus.

So far, it's still working quite nicely. The only performance issues come after a soft-reset and I figure that's becuase the Today screen is refreshing and reloading the plug-ins. After that, smooth as silk.

Originally posted by dmackdaddy
    No kidding, I'm with you dude, mine has:

avantgo
    dktoday
    betaplayer
    soft reset
    ministumbler
    tomtom navigator

I'm just not into bogging down the unit with all kinds of crap, I use TS for remote desktop access and PIE when I need internet, but other than that it's pretty much bare metal, want it to work it's best!
    Tom

Eh, it's a matter of preference. I'm being using PDAs for years and outside of the GPS apps and PCAnywhere, the rest of the software captures what I've regularly used my PDA for in the past. If the config caused an unreasonable amount of performance degradation, I would have trimmed it down until performance was acceptable. I was even considering running different configs, essentially maintaining two sets of backups. But OCN4 was the piece of the puzzle that didn't fit and once that was resolved, it was downhill from there.

To each his own for sure, if you wanna load tons of software, have at it, that's what's nice about these devices, diversity!
    Tom

give it time.. itll fail :p

i just did another hard reset last night to get things working good again.
    Verizon XV6600