+ Reply to Thread

Question Explore a Bluetooth Device

I have a PPC 6600. In the Bluetooth Manager I click "New" and in the Connection Wizard I click "Explore a Bluetooth Device". I choose my laptop. And it retrieves all services offered by my laptop. "Network Access" and "File Transfer" are recognized. I would like to get Bluetooth Activesync to work so I need to have "Bluetooth Serial Port" show up in the Service Selection Dialog box so I can create that short-cut. I was able to do this successfully on my home desktop PC and my iMac, but I can't get it on my work laptop (Compaq nc6000) with integrated Bluetooth by HP. I've set-up a Bluetooth Serial Port on the Bluetooth Tool. And I have been able to pair my laptop and PPC. I added COM Port 5 as my Bluetooth Serial Port on my laptop to match the Incoming COM Port 5 on my PPC. The outgoing port is COM 6. Is there anything I need to configure on my laptop to match COM 6 on my PPC? I've probably spent 24 man hours on this and don't know what to do. Please help this Newb.

Assuming you have ActiveSyncd with your laptop prior to doing all of this?

If you go to ActiveSync >> File >> Connection Settings, you can change the COM port that ActiveSync uses. I had attempted to establish the connection, saw what COM port it was using, then went in and changed it to match...done and done.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

The COM port in Activiesync and the Incoming COM port on PPC are both set to COM 5. Still can't get Bluetooth Serial Port on Explore a Device.
    Last edited by gspencer; 07-11-2005 at 05:39 PM.

OK, this will be a little easier because I'm back home and left my PPC at the house today. Typical monday. Down to the grind...

If your BT card supports serial connections, you should be able to access the BT manager on your desktop/laptop and view what the COM settings are.

You won't neccesarily set the COM port used on your PPC for AS connections. For example, my BT card offers Serial Port A on COM 8, and Serial Port B on Com 9. When initating the connection from the first time from the XV6600, it simply asks if I want to use A or B.

Depending on the selection, you then need to make sure ActiveSync is using the same COM port. So, my Serial A uses COM 8. On my XV6600, I just selected Serial Port A during the discovery session. In ActiveSync, I made sure that the 'allow serial connections' options under Connection Settings was checked off and that the COM port selected ( 8 ) matched what was assigned to Serial Port A, which was what I selected from my PPC.

From what you're explaining, it sounds like you were changing the wrong settings. You shouldn't need to designate Incoming/Outgoing on your PPC to ActiveSync via BT.

Try to initate the AS session from your PPC and see if your laptop shows what COM port is being accessed; that will be the port you want to assign under ActiveSync.

Hope this helps...I've had a quite a few drinks tonight, but I think I explained it fairly clearly.

EDIT: And let us know what BT card you're using. I can tell you how to check the settings on a Socket CF BT or Ambicom USB-220...outside of that, I'm lost.
    Last edited by Big Calhoun; 07-11-2005 at 08:58 PM.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Big Calhoun, your post start the wheels in my mind cranking in a new direction. I went back to my son's desktop and connected to activesync via bluetooth using his wizard which is different than mine but does the same stuff. It worked. I tried it two different ways. Once with the magic (or so I thought) COM5 already being used by another device. The wizard just adapted to this and used COM4 as incoming and COM6 as outgoing. I then deleted all ports 4-6 and as well as the device and did the wizard again. This time it used 4 and 5 (the first ones available). This is all like you said just with a little different hardware and software and nomenclature, same concept though. I always try to make things harder than they need to be, because I have been training that things never work the logical way or the first or hundredth time for that matter in the world of Windows. Lesson: when all else fails and you've spent over 24 hours on a dumb issue, try using the wizard the right way and let the software do what it was designed to do. I learned a lot in the process. Thanks for your help.

Glad I could help, you got everything working? I've been using BlueTooth for a few years and have found in terribly inconsistent. Good technology, but not ready for primetime. As you alluded to, different manufacturers will use different terms to say the same things. Also, configuration between BT adapters can sometimes very greatly. My Ambicom USB adapter was a BEAST to use. Even with an updated driver, alot of the configuration just didn't make sense and it seemed like certain options were duplicated; so to make one change, you had to set two options. Luckily, the Socket BT adapter has performed like a champ and the BlueSoleil interface is very easy to use.

Hope you got everything working!