+ Reply to Thread

getting on the internet on the cheap

I currently have the no-monthly-fee .75cents/kb (or maybe .5c?) access to verizon's broadband and national access service.

1) Does anybody have verizon's no-monthly-fee internet plan where you get billed by the minute and not kb? Verizon told me it is only available for certain phones, but not the xv6600! Can anybody confirm?

2) Can anybody connect to Verizon's free "quick-to-net" 14.4kbs service with the xv6600 (which only uses voice minutes)? Verizon says this phone can't.

3) Verizon tells me it's impossible to use this phone as a modem for a PC (tethering). Has anybody succeeded doing this with braoadband/national access? With quick-to-net? With 3-rd party ISP?

4) Can this phone access Verizon's "mobile web"? For free? How about Verizon's new video clip service?

1. The no-monthly-fee/billed minutes thing is largely a mistake. It's referred to as NA-MOU. In some market areas, it's a valid choice. In most market areas, it is not. There have been folks with that feature code that have had thier accounts audited and back billed. You can try to get a service rep to add that for you, but YMMV.

2. Quick2Net is a Analog offering, the XV6600 is all digital.

3. Tethering to use EV-DO should be possible. Tethering to use as a modem to connect to an ISP is not, same as #2. Connecting to an ISP requires analog access, the XV6600 is all digital.

4. Don't think so. The phones weren't put out with that software. It's a business phone!! Most users of this device aren't interested in that crap.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

4)Couldn't find the vcast website but you can access

http://vzw.msn.com/

the msn/verizon portal
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Thanks for the replies. As far as

[i]

2. Quick2Net is a Analog offering, the XV6600 is all digital.

[/B]
    is the hardware really an issue here? I can imagine that even an all-digital phone can place a voice call to an ISP, and then this would happen:

ISP (sends data modulated over a voice signal) -----> cell tower (AtoD conversion and compression) ----------> XV6600 (recieves ISP data, in modulated, digitized, and compressed form)

Decoding this data to extract the original ISP data is now a question of SW drivers. I would hope that this capability is useful enough that it would be built-into the OS. Is it?

I can't pretend I know all the ends and outs, but it's something that's been discussed since digital phones have been out there. The last explanation I saw which was many many MANY moons ago was that it had to the with wireless protocols and the way that transmissions were broken up. Beyond that...it's not my realm. I'm in telecom...but landlines. This is also the same reason you can't fax with the 6600...no analog signal.

Honestly, I don't think $45.99 for unlimited access to the EV-DO or 1x-RTT networks is unreasonable. Even though some users have reported recieving letters for too much usage, I find that hard to believe. I've been using EV-DO since I've had the XV6600 and on a daily basis, I use it to check mail, stream AOL radio, surf the web, and occasionally I also engage in FTP, IRC, and Usenet sessions. I've never recieved any kind of warning or letter relative to my usage.

I mean hey, you can go with a EV-DO enabled clamshell and pay $79.99 for the same access. Rumors on some forums say VZW may be introducing some newer package plans that are more 'consumer' friendly. It may be worth it to just wait and see what pans out.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

If your looking for Free and cheap, you certainly don't want VCAST from Verizon.... its all about lining their pockets.... pay 15 month, and get ****ty WAP, plus pay per video beyond the canned crap they give you.... it gets worse when the music service is introduced in august....

Windows Mobile devices are all about more freedom and abilities when it comes to that multimedia stuff....

I know what you're saying, but $49 a month is quite unreasonable for occasional PDA internet users like me (checking movie listings on a night out, look up maps, etc.) I got the 6600 mostly cause I am a heavy non-internet PDA user and was looking to consolidate with my phone. The internet is an added perk for me, as long as it's free with air minutes.

Analog vs. digital: I am a complete non-expert here, but I'm just using common sense... The phone is digital, but it can communicate with analog phones, right? So, why not other analog devices? Faxes? Dial-up ISPs? After all, the phone isn't the one that has to send or recieve analog signals, it's the cell tower. And as far as the tower is concerned, a fax or an ISP signal is just another analog voice call. It's just a question of software, and if one doesn't exist yet, I think whoever writes it first will make $$

But, I think I've discovered a way to connect to both quick2net and to my DU ISP. The speeds seem lower, so something's different. Now I just have to check whether my minutes are being used or my kb.

1. I don't anything about the per minute data plan

2. It is possible to have the phone use the quick2net 14.4 access.

a. To Set this up go to Start --> Settings --> Connections --> Connections
    b. Under My ISP tap add a new modem connection
    c. Enter a connection name, modem is Cellular Line -NEXT --> phone number to enter is #777 - NEXT --> Username is qnc and password is qnc - FINISH
    d. After connection is added, back at the connections screen go to manage existing connections and make sure your new connection is set to be default

That should do it. When I open internet explorer and go to a website it automatically connects at 14.4. Holding down end button for several seconds automatically shuts down the connection.
    It is pretty slow but it meets my needs for the things that I use it for.

About using the phone as modem. Yes it can be done. There is a program that you can run on the handheld that will make it simulate a modem. It can be done over bluetooth or usb. If you are interested in using it as bluetooth I can't help much because I only know how to make it work on a Mac. But as for the usb connection check out this website http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/usbmodem.html

Again to use the quick 2 net connection you would use the same phone number/username/password as mentioned earlier and not what is described in that document.

Free or Cheap = WIFI card and you outside someone's house.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Originally posted by dmackdaddy
    Free or Cheap = WIFI card and you outside someone's house.
    Or go to Sprint for $15 a month data - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by rbelikov
    Thanks for the replies. As far as

is the hardware really an issue here? I can imagine that even an all-digital phone can place a voice call to an ISP, and then this would happen:

ISP (sends data modulated over a voice signal) -----> cell tower (AtoD conversion and compression) ----------> XV6600 (recieves ISP data, in modulated, digitized, and compressed form)

Decoding this data to extract the original ISP data is now a question of SW drivers. I would hope that this capability is useful enough that it would be built-into the OS. Is it?
    No, it is not importent enough unfortunately. Microsoft and Verizon make the assumption that someone purchasing this level of device will also add a data plan. For a majority of people they are correct.

In your case I would looking to buying a cheap wifi SDIO card and using available wifi access whenever possible. Depending on you location this might be all you will ever need. For example: I cant walk down the street in manhattan without being in range or several wifi hotspots at least half of which are unencrypted.

Failing that: You could try the old school acoustic coupler!!

PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Originally posted by Big Calhoun
    Rumors on some forums say VZW may be introducing some newer package plans that are more 'consumer' friendly. It may be worth it to just wait and see what pans out.
    Hot off the press...http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...=664778&page=1

The OP in the thread is a very reliable VZW source.

EDIT: LOL...a little cold off the press....the thread is about two weeks old...I just finally came across it.

Yeah, I saw that before I signed up with VZW. You effectively get a $40 data plan, which is almost the same as before. Definately a fair price, but not worth it for me, especially since I don't think they allow tethering. And, I'm on a family plan, which is probably incompatible... But I'm still happy with everything else, and the internet isn't critical for me.