+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Alternate 2400 mAh battery

I am interested to hear if anyone has purchased one of the 2400 mAh batteries listed in the eBay auction below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...75446&tc=photo

This person's price is about $50 less than what Lion Battery is charging, so I am a little concerned about such a wide price difference. I have purchased the car charger/travel charger/usb sync cable combo from this seller and those products work well.

If anyone has experience with these alternate battery suppliers, please post your experiences.

Well i just left a question for the seller asking if these are Mugen Power batteries and if not who is the manufacturer...we shall see.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    ...and are they v.3.

Ehud

No, they are not mugen power battery and they are not full back batteries. I don't think that it could reach 2400mAh caps.

And their price is too low for the high caps battery!

Print the lable is very easy. Watch Out!!

Well here is the answer I got from the seller:

No, these are not from Mugen.

Please be confident with this product. You can see the laser label at the lower right hand side of the battery. Our maunfacturer also fear that other factories will "pirate" its battery. Thus the laser label is a kind of control.

Have a nice day.

..and they still don't tell me anything about the manufacturer...hmmn my spidey senses are tingling...

I have to add my 2 cents to this.

Wow! Great price. But, if their price is below our cost (significantly) then there has to be a major difference. Considering all the pain and suffering we went through to get this far with our 2200mAh, then 2200mAh v.2 and finally 2400mAh v.3 battery, I hope that they have it right. If not, there are going to be many people losing precious data.

I can't say that their battery is no good. It would be foolish as I haven't tested their battery. I can only say that "you get what you pay for", and "Caveat Emptor".

Mark
    Come and visit our web store at www.lionbattery.com

Better watch it with that Ebay Vendor.

I purchased 2 car charging cord for my PPC-6600 which I received about 4 weeks ago.

Before I tried these out, I checked the plug's wiring on the PPC Side of the cord and found out that they were wired backward as opposed to the Audiovox Adapted that is supplied with the AC Adapter (The one you would use to charge your phone without the cradle).

At this time I am worried about trying those cords out and risking the permanet damage to my phone.

I will have to re-wire th connector to match the Adapter before and can try these out.

Please bear in mind that I have not tried their batteries, but my experience with them tells me to stand clear.

Best regards from Montreal

frenchnew
    Audiovox PPC-6600
    Bell Mobility
    2005 Acura TL - HFL works fine with the PPC-6600

Originally posted by frenchnew
    Best regards from Montreal

frenchnew [/B]
    Ouch! I can just imagine what would have happened had you plugged it in without checking (like I would have done).

Also, regards from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, just 20 minutes down Autoroute 10 from you.

Mark

Thumbs up My findings with the eBay $28 2400 mAh battery

If we're talking about that 2mangoes seller on eBay, here are my findings, both on the car/travel charger/sync cable, and the 2400 mAh replacement battery.

I bought the wall/car chargers with retractable USB cable about 4 weeks ago, and received the items in good order in about 1.5 weeks. They all worked as advertised; I have no major complaints; I'm able to charge my PPC-6600 with the car or wall adapter or PC, and sync with my PC, all using the same cable. I do worry about the overall durability of the cable (which is relevant -- see below regarding 2400 mAh battery).

The 2400 mAh battery is pretty good (so far). I purchased it on July 19, and received it in the mail on July 29. It's a bit thicker than the OEM 1490 mAh battery (perhaps about 2 mm) and a bit heavier as expected, but it still fits in the OEM case, and the colour match is perfect (I wouldn't know it's aftermarket). Unfortunately, with this battery, the PPC-6600 no longer fits into the desktop cradle, so I have to use the sync cable that I purchased previously (I'm concerned about the daily use wear-and-tear on the cable, but we'll see how that goes). The battery fit on the PPC is good; no more lateral movement compared to OEM battery, and wiggling around does not cause any resets or anything. When I attached it to my PPC-6600 for the first time, it had around 78% charge. I plugged the PPC in to charge (the replacement battery will not fit in the aux battery slot of the desktop charger), and it took just under 8 hours for the amber charge light to turn green (whereas going from 10-20% to 100% on my OEM battery rarely take more than a couple hours).

I haven't had a chance to test the battery out for a full discharge cycle yet, but it's held a lot more charge than the OEM battery in the same time period. After an hour of "common everyday use", it's at 96%, whereas my OEM battery would now be at about 92%.

I'll post more info regarding the longevity, etc. once I can use it for a few days.

Convergitated
    mef38, how much cheaper do you think your battery would be without the special lithium protection circuitry? I've always wondered if these super cheap batteries on eBay didn't lack the safety mechanisms that OEM batteries have.

'Special lithium protection circuitry'? Does it Lift as it Separates too? Haven't seen that reference before anywhere. What are these safety mechanisms the OEM batteries have that the 'super cheap eBay betteries' may/may not have?

Originally posted by Kher
    mef38, how much cheaper do you think your battery would be without the special lithium protection circuitry? I've always wondered if these super cheap batteries on eBay didn't lack the safety mechanisms that OEM batteries have.

Convergitated
    Lithium ion batteries can and have exploded into people ears and pockets as they were talking on their phones due to the ‘special protection circuitry’ failing or not being existent on cheap batteries.

Taken from http://www.powerstream.com/li.htm:

Safety

Every lithium ion battery pack should have (must have?) a safety board which monitors the charge and discharge of the pack, and prevents dangerous things from happening. The specifications of these safety boards are dictated by the cell manufacture, and may include the following:

* Reverse polarity protection
    * Charge temperature--must not be charged when temperature is lower than 0° C or above 45° C.
    * Charge current must not be too high, typically below 0.7 C.
    * Discharge current protection to prevent damage due to short circuits.
    * Charge voltage--a permanent fuse opens if too much voltage is applied to the battery terminals
    * Overcharge protection--stops charge when voltage per cell rises above 4.30 volts.
    * Overdischarge protection--stops discharge when battery voltage falls below 2.3 volts per cell (varies with manufacturer).
    * A fuse opens if the battery is ever exposed to temperatures above 100° C.

Also a quick Google search turns up many articles like: http://www.nbc4.com/healthandsafetya...77/detail.html

WoW, a website reference! And you've discected mef38's batteries to know that his have each of these safety mechanisms? Any direct experience with those sold on eBay in this regard? Any reason to believe that they lack these features outside of the unassociated issue of price? Any direct experience with OEM batteries in this regard? Thanks!

Originally posted by br549
    WoW, a website reference! And you've discected mef38's batteries to know that his have each of these safety mechanisms?
    Maybe he hasn't discected one of our batteries, but I have and so has Verizon. That does not mean that the $28 batteries do not have this circuitry. To make the battery work, they must have some type of circuitry. However, if they use cheaper components or poorer quality cells, this could make a difference. Again, I have not taken these $28 batteries apart so I cannot state whether they are good or not. I haven't tested them. I haven't even seen one. I do know that ours (Mugen Power) DO fit in the spare charging slot on the cradle and the PDA with the battery attached CAN fit on the cradle. It is not necessary to use the charging cable to charge this battery. This battery fits like the OEM for charging.

I can state that the selling price of $28 is way below our cost. Therefore, there has to be something different.

And as another web site reference, please see: Battery University .

Mark

Originally posted by Kher
    Sounds like the 'special' circuitry is necessary for the battery to just function properly, according to mef38, so 'cheaper' may or may not be indicative of a quality product. Margins happen to play a significant factor too.

Originally posted by br549
    Margins happen to play a significant factor too.
    But there's more than that. IF the manufacturer has a better manufacturing process, or needs less manipulation of their product during manufacturing, then they could reduce costs. Also, if they sell directly to the public and remove the distributors (like us) this will save money. And then if they produce large quantities at a time that require minimal changeovers during manufacturing, this too reduces the cost. And lastly, if their overhead is lower than their competitors, this will keep the costs low. So we cannot just look at margins.

Like I stated above, the selling price of less than $30 is way below OUR cost. Since manpower in China is negligible this would not make a difference. So, the answer has to be either they are getting raw material at great costs and their manufacturing is better streamlined than Mugen Power.

Bottom line is how their product fares consistently. After they have sold a couple of thousand, and we hear the comments from users, then we will really know how well their product is. Guessing like I'm doing won't answer the questions. Results, like what Calgaryben is getting, is the best way to tell.

MEF38

Hence, the qualifier I used.

Originally posted by mef38
    But there's more than that.

Any user buying this battery on ebay? Are they full straight on the back? If not, it seems it have less the chance have the 2400caps in the battery.

Eh..

Got it a week ago and it is spotty

Definitely lasts much longer than the standard battery, but I don't entirely trust it.. It tends to work and then all of the sudden, the battery runs out of gas without any warning..

For example, was using it and the battery charge indicator dropped from 51% to 9% in about 5 minutes.. Now I had gotten a good deal of time out of it before this happened, but it still seemed a little odd..

This has happened a few times and, while I appreciate that it has extended battery life, I find it a little frustrating that I feel that I have to carry a backup

Originally posted by jalexander
    Definitely lasts much longer than the standard battery, but I don't entirely trust it.. It tends to work and then all of the sudden, the battery runs out of gas without any warning..

For example, was using it and the battery charge indicator dropped from 51% to 9% in about 5 minutes.. Now I had gotten a good deal of time out of it before this happened, but it still seemed a little odd..
    OUCH. This is exactly what I've just observed/experienced with the $29 eBay 2400 mAh battery. I had been so happy with its life as it slowly discharged from 100% to 95% to 90% and so on (WAY slower discharge than OEM 1490 mAh battery, and more than double the time required between chargings)

Last I checked it this morning, it was around 72%, so I'm guessing that it was around 50-60% just moments ago, and then, BAM! It's now at 9% and it indicates a critical level (insufficient power to perform many actions, so it has blocked me from using my SD memory card, amongst other things), with the following error:

SD/MMC
    The battery power is insufficient to support your selected function, please disable some functions or plug in AC adaptor then try it again.

I'm currently at work with no spare battery nor a USB cable or charger, so I'm SOL until I can get home in about 4-5 hours. I totally didn't anticipate this. Fortunately, I was able to dial in my call-forwarding (to my office landline), and I've now turned on Flight Mode and disabled backlight to further conserve the battery.

It looks like the % charge reported is a lie (it's perhaps a=(2r-100), where a=actual charge, and r=reported charge), and/or the rate of discharge is non-linear (while the OEM battery isn't too bad as far as discharge rate and the reported % charge.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast