+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cool things that the PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600 does that most may overlook

I don't know if anyone has started a thread like this (didnt find one and couldn't recall one). We had a thread like this when I had my Treo 600 and discovered some pretty cool things from several people's little secrets of life with their handheld.

What have you found in your hours of playing with the your PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600 that you thought is really cool, but some people may over look or never even find.

If you share a helpful hint concerning 3rd party software, please try to include a link if you have it handy.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 08-13-2005 at 03:42 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Anyone who has owned the 660x for more than a week knows this already, but just in case you are a newbie.....it works great as a flashlight at night. I just go settings with the white background and it is perfect for checking the kids, walking down the stairs without the lights on, etc....
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

You can also use the camera's flash as a flashlight...of course you have to be in video mode, and have to be capturing too....
    Perhaps there is a way to turn that thing on/off without being in video capture mode...hmmmm

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    yeah i wish there was an app to turn that light on so i could assign it to a button.

i also thought it'd be cool to use it for a silent but still very noticable ringer because even when its pointed down when the phone is flat on its back, it can be seen better that the regular lcds (that i've disabled)
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

This is the only alarm I use anymore. I found the included alarm on this phone is great, you can set the days for alarms (up to 3 different alarms). You can set an alarm for only mon-fri for work.

I don't even use wake up calls in hotels anymore or have to figure out how to set the alarms in the hotel rooms. But, I still like to set the hotel room alarms for 3am before I check out.

3am $@#*$??? Do you go to bed at 7pm?
    --
    WebAvant

I have a couple nice apps that are freeware. There is one for tides for fishing and another for phases of the mood and sun location that allows the PDA to act as a compass when pointed towards the sun or moon.

I also convert files to Microsoft reader and read them on the PDA when stuck shopping with my wife.

I have a freebe alarm called stoptime that works great.

My most used app is the GPS, which works like a charm when hooked up to the holder on my dashboard.

I have reloaded PocketAlarm 1.13.02 after as lot of problems and this old version seems on good behavior.

Cheers
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

what compass program do you use?

Originally posted by jerryyyyy
    I have a couple nice apps that are freeware. There is one for tides for fishing and another for phases of the mood and sun location that allows the PDA to act as a compass when pointed towards the sun or moon.

I also convert files to Microsoft reader and read them on the PDA when stuck shopping with my wife.

I have a freebe alarm called stoptime that works great.

My most used app is the GPS, which works like a charm when hooked up to the holder on my dashboard.

I have reloaded PocketAlarm 1.13.02 after as lot of problems and this old version seems on good behavior.

Cheers
    Can I get a link to the Tides prediction program?

Far as I know, these are shareware.

Ephemeris 1.0 by Johnathan Sachs.

http://home.comcast.net/~jonsachs/

Tides is cTide by David Buchholz.

http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi...%3FREF%3D13111
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I get this question all the time -- why the hell do you need this expensive thing? My answer takes a while. Aside from the obvious phone, web, and organizer, here are things I can no longer do without:

skychart for stargazing and telescope control (I'm an astronomer)
    reading books
    dictionary while reading books
    various reference programs (like the periodic table)
    camera (just not for prints)
    flashlight
    news/weather
    movie listings
    mapquest directions
    gaming (ahh, old console nostalgia)
    graphing calculator
    writing custom apps for work (and play) in this programming language called LabVIEW
    timer for things like Diplomacy
    Alarm clock
    watching movies
    listeningto/storing my mp3 collection

Can't wait to try:
    gps
    ppt presentations?
    remote control?

But, probably the most indispensible feature for me is alerts for meetings and deadlines, and storage of all my notes. I always remember all my meetings, friend's birthdays, wishlists, passwords, etc. etc.
    XV6600 ROM 2.07.00WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.111WWE hardware version 0041

With an added BT GPS and software package, I am never lost. I have been using the BT iTrek and iGuidance for 6 months now and love it. For more info visit the GPS thread and GPSpassion.com
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

Oh yes, I also have a great app that translates english to french and vice versa off IE pages. This is worth it to me right there. I can read Le Monde in AvantoGo and check words in a dictionary at the same time. Try that with a "smart phone".
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by TechnoHippie
    You can also use the camera's flash as a flashlight...of course you have to be in video mode, and have to be capturing too....
    Perhaps there is a way to turn that thing on/off without being in video capture mode...hmmmm
    I asked about a program like that a few months ago and no one could find anything. Id love to have something like that!
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Can't wait to try:
    gps
    ppt presentations?
    remote control?

But, probably the most indispensible feature for me is alerts for meetings and deadlines, and storage of all my notes. I always remember all my meetings, friend's birthdays, wishlists, passwords, etc. etc.
    The remote control will never work on the 660x phone/pda's because the IrDa port is not consumer grade. It only goes about 4-5 feet. Not so good for a remote control.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news....
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Originally posted by BryanHarig
    I asked about a program like that a few months ago and no one could find anything. Id love to have something like that!
    Wouldn't that drain the battery REAL FAST?
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    not really its just an white led.

it would take less than the lighting the lcd.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

-to avoid lugging a laptop around when I'm oncall
    -email (sprint bc: work/AS over the air: personal)
    -portable cell phone/car phone with FM Tramsmitter
    -manage contacts
    -calendar keeps me straight
    -weather when it matters
    -movie times
    -play mp3's
    -watch my Tivo shows
    -to feel cool among my less technical and technical friends and family.

BTW, search works again!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Here's a somewhat obvious one-- when you play MP3's without headphones connected, it will play through the internal speaker which isn't bad at all. While at the beach, on the deck, etc, when we've wanted music, I just take it out and play through the internal speaker.

I have a set of Altec Lansing inMotion speakers, a pair of iSun solar collectors, and an iSun battery pack with 10 AAA batteries for reserve to use with my iPod, XMRoady or PPC6600. That's the way I listen to music outside. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.