+ Reply to Thread

dim red screen for night vision

Any amateur astronomers who use their PDA for skycharts and/or telescope control? What have you tried to dim the screen and make it red to save night vision? The lowest backlight brightness setting is still too bright (compared to e.g. my old HP Jornada 547), even when I use night mode on my skychart SW.

Is there a SW solution to dim the backlight arbitrarily low? Or is there a red screen accessory?
    XV6600 ROM 2.07.00WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.111WWE hardware version 0041

BA with wifi still can't be beat
    I have a similar desire. Not red screen, but dimmer.

The lowest screen brightness setting is often way too bright in a totally dark room (keeps my wife awake when I try to do email in bed). I have noticed that when you hold the power button down for a few seconds (screen off mode) it turns the screen down to an almost imperceptible brightness, almost off, so that you can just barely make out the screen contents. Of course that is too dim to work off of.

This leads me to believe that there might be a way to set the brightness somewhere between the "low" setting and the "screen off" setting. Anyone have any ideas on this?
    SX66 (PH20B1)
    ROM: 1.40.00 WWE
    Radio: 1.13.00

the screen light off is just that. off. no light at all. but it would be nice to be able to dim it a bit more.

Yup. What I ended up doing is just getting an all-red color theme, since red color does not kill your dark vision. It's still rather bright, but my eyes stay dark adapted as long as most of the screen is black.

I also thought about using a tinted screen protector, or using a dim flashlight with the backlight off, but seems like the color theme is the best solution...

until you accidently bring up some white background. watch those pupils contract!

LTS
    I don't think there is a way. There are only two settings I can find in the registry that indicate the brightness levels.

First you have \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Backlight\DefaultBrightness

This operates between 0 and 10. 0 is off and 1 is the lowest setting. If you play with the brightness bar you notice there are 10 steps.

The other is under LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Gamma, but that setting seemingly has no bearing on the brightness of the screen.

Good luck.

rbelikov- can you send me that red sheme you created

it may be quite ghetto to do it, but, have u thought of getting a red sheet of plastic or some christmas red plastic wrap and making your own filter for the screen? just a suggestion
    Support the fine arts... Shoot a Rapper!
    Phone/PDA: Audiovox XV6600

Carlosmh -- I'm attaching the red night vision theme. All I did was use the theme generator off the microsoft site to make all the colors I could red.

However, I can't change a lot of the colors with microsoft's theme generator. Is there a program that would let me have full control of all the colors? For example, has anyone tried ColourMe (http://www.snoopsoft.com/other/index.html)? It let me change all the colors on my old WinCE3 PDA, but I haven't gotten around to trying it on the XV6600. And now, the trial link is broken!

By the way, for people who care about reducing the brightness as opposed to making everything red, one way to do that is to reduce the luminance values of ALL the system colors by some constant factor. That is, if a way can be found to control ALL the colors.

In any case, there's also the question of the bottom green LED. Any way to get that to turn off?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rbelikov; 02-02-2006 at 06:23 PM.