+ Reply to Thread

imbedded wifi module for PPC 6600?

Before I open my PPC 6600 up and see if it has 802.11b built in. I am looking to see if anyone out there has done the same.

I am curious to see if the same wifi module that is in the GSM model can be found or installed in the PPC 6600 and made to work.

The more I think about it the more I'm moving toward doing this project. Before I self destruct this PPC 6600 I'd like to know if this is project is even possible.

Thanks.

it aint in there, if it was you would be able to use it, they took it out cuz the cdma radio is much larger than the gsm radio of the blue angel devices

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Why not let him open his radio and ruin it?

This is one of those self-solving problems.

Go ahead smart dude who registered today, you go girl.

Ehud

I was under the impression that there are CDMA 6600's that do have the wifi in them... seems like I heard that some canadian carrier offers it?
    Thing is, even if the thing could fit in the phone, if ya open it up and its not there, I question how difficult it would be to get the part.

Yes, man-who-registered-yesterday you-go-girl, back up the man-who-registered-two-days-ago and y'all just show the rest of us old timers up because WE DON'T KNOW SQUAT.

Now go take your phones apart and moving your mouths (so to speak) until you're done.

E

I was looking at this:
    http://www.myehud.com/xv6600/pdaphonehome/faq.html

I recall there was a list of who has the phones...

-- Sprint PPC-6601 CDMA no WIFI no camera
    -- Sprint PPC-6600 CDMA no WIFI with camera
    -- Verizon XV6600woc CDMA no WIFI no camera
    -- Cingular SX66 GSM WIFI with Camera
    -- T-Mobile XDA-III (Europe) GSM WIFI with Camera
    -- Unlocked GSM i-mate PDA2K (most seem to use T-Mobile) WiFi with Camera
    -- Unlocked CDMA i-mate PDA2K with Camera no WiFi

....so yeah no CDMA + built in WiFi. So the reason behind this is the size of the radio?? Not that I'd dare crack mine open (I'm a software guy - not a hardware guy)...

I was trying to decide if I should get a SDIO WiFi or a bluetooth access point - but I see a lot of threads on bluetooth issues... can you even get bluetooth in the thing to connect to a access point like that?

just so you know i have a friend whos beta testing new ppc for sprint and it does have wifi builtin gonna try to get a pic and model number today if hes working

just so you know i have a hunch it's an i730 yawn rinse repeat

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Id like to see pics of the sprint i730. Id also like to know if they will launch with a camera or make us wait 60 more days like verizon and if it will launch with Windows Mobile 2005 as hatoncat seem to think.

Make a new thread over in the i730 forums if you are able to get any pictures or info.

PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.