+ Reply to Thread

What's the final word on tethering with Verizon's $49 unlimited data plan?

We all know that tethering on an unlimited data plan is technically feasible. However, I've seen lots of conflicting reports on whether it's kosher or not. Some people say Verizon prohibits it. Others say they were doing this for ages with Verizon's knowledge and approval. I myself seem to be cursed with hitting tech reps who don't know what they are talking about.

Here's a quote from Verizon's site:

"Unlimited plans are for individual use only and not for resale. The Unlimited plans cannot be used: (1) for any applications that tether the device to laptops, PCs, or other equipment for any purpose, (2) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games, (3) with server devices or with host computer applications other than the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, including, without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, continuous jpeg file transfers, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine applications, (4) as substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections."

Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Sort&catId=329

Is this something new that invalidates the posts claiming tethering is ok? Or something so old it's obsolete? Or, does everybody tether despite Verizon's prohibition, and Verizon simply doesn't care? Has anybody got caught?
    XV6600 ROM 2.07.00WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.111WWE hardware version 0041

It is against Verizon's rules... plain and simple.

That being said, if you don't use it excessively, they will probably never say anything. The don't want people replacing their home ISP with their wireless network without paying the full $79. I suspect they don't truly care about occasional use.

Don't be a glutton and you will probably be fine.

Search Deez Nutz
    I use it all the time, but just for web surfing and email. No downloading of music or movies. I've never been hit with any data charges.
    Last edited by buduan; 07-15-2005 at 07:18 PM.

I like to play it by the rules though. Does Verizon frown on excessive NON-teathered use as well? If they call it the *unlimited* data plan, I assume I am free to orbTV 24/7 with a clear conscience. Literally. Hook up a screen to it an use it as a public TV set. Right? (Not really planning on doing that, just exploring the limits of my new toy.)

I know, I know, they have clauses about reserving the right of termination for any reason or something like that. Has anyone actually gotten into trouble for excessive NON-teathered use?

Search Deez Nutz
    I use Orb all the time, I've never been contacted or threatened.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    rbel you worry too much. i use the damn thing 24/7 for months now, and if they don't like it they can put it where the sun don't shine. yea, and you know something, they aint gonna terminate you. they want to keep sucking every last penny out of you that they can. i call them up all the time and give them crap. and they keep kissing my ass.

Quite frankly, I find the whole tethering restriction a bit ridiculous. Suppose, for the sake of argument, that I have an old PC with 400MHz processor and 128MB of RAM, and I like Windows Mobile so much that I choose to have it as the OS for my PC. Now, tethering to my PC is no different from connecting a monitor and a keyboard to the Harrier! In this situation, why on earth would Verizon say, oh, you can do the latter but not the former? The two cases are identical!

Of course, this is an absurd example today, but in a few years the distinction between a PC and a PPC would disappear (think OQO, but smaller and with EV-DO.) Then the example above becomes legitimate.

Therefore, I view the tethering restriction as obsolete. It only makes sense as long as there is a distinction between a PC and a PPC and in my mind this distinction does not exist (just different operating systems!)

I think the fact that Verizon does not contact people who tether means they realize it's a silly rule when all's said and done. Kind of like a librarian playing a joke and asking for a fee to borrow books. When people complain, he just says, oh, I know I'm being silly, go ahead. When people pay, he says, hey, why not? I'll just use the money to make the library better!

Hence, I say tether with a clear conscience.

Ahh, self-deluding arguments to reduce guilt...

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It's been 4 days. You've spent your entire effort trying to circumvent the way Verizon set this phone up, and the way they bill for this service.

There comes a time when you must realize that you've gone beyond "I want to get technical information" to "I'm trying to break the contract I've entered in and want your tortuous interference help."

I think this would be a good time for you to cease this behavior.

Just to make sure, I've asked my friends at Verizon if I've misunderstood the topic and they assure me I haven't.

Ehud

Let me apologize if I am not using this forum as it was intended. This is my last non-technical post.

I was exploring the full range of the technical, ethical, and legal boundaries of using my device, so I can make a decision whether to keep it or not. I only have 15 days to make that decision, and I have designed my posts (perhaps unsuccessfully) to get the right people to notice them and get the right information in time for the 15-day deadline. (I was getting conflicting information from Verizon itself and did not know who to believe. The wording in my contract is vague.)

If this is not the right place to discuss these things, I am ceasing these types of posts now. I think I learned enough to make the decision to keep the device and the service, despite a few things I'm not happy with. I'd like to thank the senior people in the forum for their help.