+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar

Harrier vs. i730 . . . anything conclusive???

Hello all,

I know this topic has been thrown out there once or twice before, but I couldn't find anything really conclusive or in-depth on it, so . . . for the people who have tried both, what's the bottom line? How do the PPC-6601/XV6600 and the Samsung i730 stack up against each other? I'm trying to find out if I should start thinking about selling my Harrier to switch to an i730, but haven't been really convinced yet that the switch would be worth the trouble . . .

What I've got so far:

i730: faster processor, wifi enabled (but you can't use voice/data when wifi is on), bluetooth 1.2 with voice command working over BT headset, better battery life (????), smaller size.

XV6600: more RAM, larger screen, at this point lots and lots of accessories (like extended batteries, programs etc).

At this point, I think I'm going to hold onto my Harrier (mainly because it has a cooler name - j/k) until the next supercharged new phone starts the chatter on the pdaphonehome threads, unless there are numerous things beyond wifi that the i730 can do that the XV6600 can't. But I'd really like some input on this from users of both before I take the next step and test-drive one of these suckers to see for myself! Thanks guys.

Fully Converged
    In the beginning I was holding out for the i730. Then I got impatient with all the delays and got the 6600. Now I'm glad, because the RAM and the screen size on the 730 are deal breakers.
    Charles Mims

I have a Verizon booklet that compares the two..
    Seems the i730 has voice dialing and Wifi...
    But seems the i730 lost the camera function..
    Also says when using Wifi you cannot send or receive voice or data calls... Everything else seems to be the same.. Oh, the digital usage time on the 730 is 130 min's whereas the 6600 is 240 min's.....

The booklet also says the 6600 doesn't have a SD I/O expansion card.. That sound correct?

i730 has less talk time? wow

And the 6600 has a SD slot. Either that or I jammed this one gig card into a crack in the case.

Yeah the extended battery for the i730 is 1700maH. Our OEM battery is 1400maH. Faster processor. You do th math.

No Camera.

VC DOES NOT WORK OVER BT. Its a program called Voice Signal which was on the i700 as well. Reports are it isn't nearly as good as Voice Command.

If you have a 6600 I don't think the i730 is compelling enough to get. (Usually because you are still in contract) I would wait till they annouce that WM2005 will be available (look at the i700 and how long it took to get WM 2003!) or wait for the next WM2005 device to roll and/or EVDV.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Do you have info on any 2005 devices?

And thanks for the i730 info.. I'm dieing to drop my T-Mobile 6315 and get something on Verizon.. And I'm looking hard at the 6600 right now.. Figured I would use it till 2005 devices come out.. And since it has been out a while, most of the problems are known of and fixes have been posted...

XV vs i730 (for me)...

I know I have said this <somewhere>, but the i730's signal reception is simply better than the xv. FWIW, I still have both. I'm now firmly onto the i730. I don't get that many calls; the PDA fcns are equivalent to me.

I do like the faster processor on the i730, but that's can be 'equivalenced' by XCPUScaler, which I have used on both. I currently have XCPU uninstalled on the 'i'; I found it destabilized the i too much for my tastes. the i ran (runs) fast enough for me anyways.

I was able to use ne2 on the i so the price wasn't a deal breaker to me. Also, my xv's reception had degraded too much for me.

I like the 'less-brick' feel of the i compared to the xv. The thicker form factor of the i makes it feel more like a phone than the xv did.

I do like the screen on the xv better than the i though. The i's screen is sharper, but I think that's due to packing pixels into a smaller space. I did have to search for a good today background that'd bring out the i's characters better though (this 'old guy's' eyes kinda need that I guess).

If I used the std battery on the xv, I'd have to recharge everynight. I've been using the Lion 2200 battery which was fine, until it crapped out about a week ago. I've turned it in for a replacement (those guys, imo, are great to deal with); am expecting the 2400 or whatever the v3 battery is. In comparision, the i's std batt is too 'thin' of MaH's, imo. OTOH, the larger battery is a brick! It's really be nice if Lion came out with one of their super compact high-MaH batteries; I'd jump in a heartbeat That's a 'hint' mef38 (if I remember your 'name' correctly as I'm typing this).

Volume, as had been said somewhere, is clearly better on the i than the xv.

So far, everything I have on the xv has run fine on the i. Except for XCPUScaler as noted above. As others have noted, I'd rather have Microsoft's VoiceCommand (VC) run stable than the Voice Signal (VS). Too many required verbal 'yes' 'no' (dumb, imo) required interactions with VS though. But I think it's more stable than VC. Imo, VC's voice recognition is much better than VS. As has been said in many, many other places, if Microsoft ever got their act together with VC in this form factor that actually makes use of the button signalling solely thru a BT earpiece, they could clean up (can u hear THAT whoever the Microsuck VC Product Manager's boss is??!!??).

I also used to use SDSoft's PhoneLock on the XV; had to. On the Sammy, I can use the left-side switch for both / either turning off the screen & locking the keys. Nice touch.

I have been keeping up w/the betas on PhoneAlarm (PA). Am on b9; I think 1.22's been released, which I can see on the website. Will probably move to it over this weekend. Actually, I think this is simply nearly the last 1.20Bx, plus maybe a few changes / fixes. Why '1.22' I have no idea.

Oh yea. Re case: Someone said the i's form factor (with the std batt) is about the same as the Treo650. So I got a Bellagio Treo650 model vertical case for the i. Got it today. Have used their cases (both vert & horiz) on the XV (as well as Krusell, Covertec, EBCases, & several others - still have some if anybody's interested, for a price but 'cheap'). The Bellagio case on the XV has a metal post & it locks in great into the belt clip (same post/clip combo on vert & horiz). BUT... the Treo case (Bellagio) has a really cheap (read that crappy imo) plastic post. I could pop the case out of the belt clip easily without even using the release mechanism. I have email into Bellagio about that - really sucks! But that's been posted over on TreoCentral I think.

I dropped my XV once! My heart was in my mouth. But it's working fine, no problems. There's a dent at about the 5:30pm position, but it hasn't hindered it's operation at all. I don't know how well the i730'd, but I am WAY MORE careful. In another week or so, I'll be ready to part with my XV, I'm settled enough into the i730 nearly enough by now.
    John

Wow, this is all very helpful info guys. Like IvanL said, I'm still thinking that the i730 isn't that different from the XV (in my case) to be worth the hassle of trying to change phones after signing a contract. Form factor of the i730 sure looks nice, but hey, I do get a slightly bigger screen to watch movies with on my XV. And thanks to DWIM and IvanL for clearing up the Voice Command vs. Voice Signal question.

The one thing that is still bothering me is the wifi capability on the i730. I haven't even bothered to get a wifi card yet, but I will be moving into an area without EVDO but with a lot of wifi hotspots in a month . . . and I'm very, very, VERY tempted to buy into this whole OrbTV, watch-TV-on-your-PDA craze that's been dominating some of the threads. I wonder if I could still manage that with the XV and a socket wifi card all right or if the i730 would really be the best for that if I wasn't in a EVDO area . . . if I could pull it off with the XV and wifi card (and still receive phone calls, unlike on the i730), then the XV would be a winner.

Any thoughts on that issue? I think at the end of this I might compile a list of pro's and con's and edit my first entry to this thread.

There are a few announcements coming out of HTC but nothing I've seen for CDMA yet for wm2005. Even so, you know its on the horizon and the i730 hardware is actually setup to upgrade to 2005. (Like I said, it took for ever for the i700 to get its upgrade wm2003, so you can imagine what the i730 will be like)

I thought that most people were doing orb over 1x or EVDO. That is what I gathered by looking at the thread. The one screenshot I remember was showing a bandwidth of 98kbps which is 1x.

As far as wifi goes, I think both have issues. I have the sandisk (same as the socket) wifi card and haven't had many problems. Alot of people were reporting bad range using socket drivers but mine seems ok. (I am using the socket drivers/software because the sandisk gave me problems) Honestly with EVDO I don't use it much.

Also some people with the i730 are reporting the wifi to be flaky. There is also a poll on which APs work with the i730, I guess its not all compatible. I think I read something about problems with linksys/cisco. (Which would be bad) Check the threads, there may be rebuttles to that by now.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Also---as of now, no DUN via the i730 (modem use for computer). If that is something you want, the 6600 is the way to go.
    Jeremiah 29:11

My neighbor got the 730
    on Monday. After seeing it and trying it out I am glad I didn't wait for it. The screen size is too small for me now that I have gotten used to the 6600. My neighbor has been really frustrated with the inability of his unit to pair properly with the BT in his BMW. According to Samsung's product manager, BT connections that require DUN will not work nor will they release a workaround. They caved into VZW's demands to cripple that functionality.
    Samsung i760

Agreed about the screen size - I can't imagine watching movies on a screen smaller than this . . .

USB DUN is now working on the I730....so that is very good news. BT DUN is being looked at.

Bluetooth on the I730 is WAY more stable than on the XV6600. On the XV6600 with a HBH-660 (doesn't matter what build I used) when a phone call came in it would take an extra 3 - 5 seconds to be able to answer the call on the headset. It just isn't like that on the 730, its quick, very quick. I don't miss calls anymore because of it.

Why the Harrier is better than the i730:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    2) Screen size!!!
    3) Camera availability
    4) Twice the RAM
    5) MUCH bigger and older user community
    6) Multiple button press (e.g. can shoot while moving in games)
    7) No antenna sticking out

And the #1 reason:

1) The recent $150 price drop due to the introduction of i730, making the harrier a full $200 cheaper. It's not that $200 is that much money. It's the psychology: if you get the Harrier and wonder whether the i730 would have been better -- hey, at least you saved some cash. If you get the i730 and wonder whether the Harrier would have been better, you'd kick yourself for spending more.

Why some people think the i730 is better than the Harrier:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1) Faster processor (400 vs 500 something)
    2) Smaller size and lighter
    3) Built-in WiFi
    4) Slightly newer system with more pre-installed apps
    5) Less glitches

My final impression: techy types who like tinkering, installing lots of apps, and spending a lot of time with the device will tend to like the XV better and can eventually create a device that is better than the i730 in all respects except speed and size. Business types who want the most lightweight and expensive, for everything to be perfect from the start, and who won't be looking at the screen for extended periods of time would like the i730 better. Or a simpler phone with fewer confusing features.
    XV6600 ROM 2.07.00WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.111WWE hardware version 0041

Why the 730 is better than the Harrier......

you can use bluetooth and it works a lot better than the Harrier.

Originally posted by t_squared
    Why the 730 is better than the Harrier......

you can use bluetooth and it works a lot better than the Harrier.
    Thats B.S.

Heh, I use bluetooth many times a day with my xv6600. I use it with my car hands free, I use it for syncing, I use it with my Sony Akono headset, and I use it to manage my wifes Moto e815 ringtones, pics and backgrounds.

I had errors when I had the earlier rom, but bluetooth is flawless for me now.

I have had the XV6600 since the beginning......3 - 5 seconds to answer a call after the phone wakes up is not working bluetooth in my book.

I have done all the ROM upgrades and that aspect has not improved at all. Maybe it's just my unit, who knows.

But I can say that with the I730 I get a call and its immediately available on my headset.

My $0.02 is that I'm more than happy to put up with the BT glitches given reasons 1-7 in my earlier post. Also, given the more extended user community, it's more likely that a problem with the xv6600 will eventually be resolved than a problem with the i730... but I can understand if you want things to work right from the start and won't tolerate the BT glitches.
    XV6600 ROM 2.07.00WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.111WWE hardware version 0041

t_sqaured,

Do you have a bluetooth head set that display the caller id? If so, does it work properly on the i730? For example, i have the sony ericcson bt headset that display caller id information. It doesn't display the name but it does display the phone number. THe troublesome is that when i try to recall my miss call on the head set, it doesn't work. yet the treo 650 works fine. The head set can retrieve all the previous call.

I had a p900 prior to xv6600. In all my experience with Bluetooth headset, the xv6600 by far the worst. i update the rom to 2.03, bluetooth stack to 3900 and even try the 3900b. My last gripe about the xv6600 is when the phone go to sleep mode and a call come in, by the time the bt headset get the ring, it's too late.

Anyone know if i730 use the same broadcom chip as xv? I think it's the broadcom chip that is causing it. either that is the driver issue.

I still love that phone. Base on the differences between the i730 and xv6600, i think i will wait till another pda phone that have wm2005.

g35mt

Geek
    HA01_151 radio has improved all aspects of XV BT for me. I think I am sticking around until the native WM5 devices are released.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600