+ Reply to Thread

XV6600 teatherd USB DUN to linux box

do you still run "WModem.exe" on the PPC?

will linux pickup the PPC when i plug usb cable in or do i need a specific driver?
    any info will be greatly appreciated

Convergitated
    You need to modify the kernel source, becuase the usb id's are not built into Linux even though it's a standard usb serial port. If you search on my ID you should find the details. But yes, you run Wmodem before plugging in the device.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    If you wanna do a full writeup, I'll put it up at www.myehud.com alongside the windows info.

E

Originally posted by Kher
    You need to modify the kernel source, becuase the usb id's are not built into Linux even though it's a standard usb serial port. If you search on my ID you should find the details. But yes, you run Wmodem before plugging in the device.
    SWEET

and please do a full write up as ehud suggests.

Convergitated
    I'm working on it...

please hurry

Convergitated
    I've been playing around a bit, but I don't have a stable system at the moment. But the device id's for the active sync id is in the ipaq module. If you have the latest version of the kernel (2.6.13), then plug the device in before running wmodem. Keep it plugged in then run wmodem. Now see if you can dial #777...

that's some good info but i cant build me a kernel cause i cant get connected to pda modem to dl it

lol

the ipaq module works for xv6600?

thnx for trying to help out

Hey Kher,

m16_maniac has just asserted that linux is so close to mac os that he can just use the mac os knowledge.

oh well, less work for you and I

Ehud
    *lol*

you stopped by just to say that?

That, and to say:

"Have a nice weekend"

Ehud

Convergitated
    Yup. In the kernel I tried it is supported. You can get the latest kernel (cd burner maybe?) on there then load the ipaq module without running wmodem. Then run wmodem and try to dial.

I did a linux install and built a custom kernel, forgetting that the usb port on my laptop does not like that device. But I was getting modem responses, like OK to atz. Just when the connection was made I was getting garbage, which I think was my laptop's fault. So give it a try and let us know!

Originally posted by m16_maniac
    that's some good info but i cant build me a kernel cause i cant get connected to pda modem to dl it

lol

the ipaq module works for xv6600?

thnx for trying to help out

Originally posted by Ehud
    That, and to say:

"Have a nice weekend"

Ehud
    gonna try that now.

what app are u using to dial out

i was trying with kppp and it cant seem to find my modem but that was before when i was trying to put it in modem mode then put it in cradle.

so let me get this right:
    i dont have to edit the ipaq.h or ipaq.c files as long i am using 2.6.13?

ok thanks will be back in a min

ok i tried it and i didnt have any luck with kppp (well maybe a little)

when i switch to wmodem (after pda is connected with usb and i am at kde desktop) i then run kppp

i put the modem in software mode and i select /dev/tty0 or /dev/tty1 as they both do a querry (i think successfully) as it looks like its querrying but when the querry finishes its just a bunch of blank boxes

i also select script as the login method and put my connect speed to 230 instead of 480

now i hit connect button and it says "modem ready" then it goes to "initializing modem" but it just stays there not froze or hung cause i can cancel out

note: none of wmodem lights flash when i querry or try to connect.

i really would like to get this to work
    been trying for a week solid now
    with no luck

Convergitated
    Actually I did not have it working before I just knew it should work.

I set up a dev box and got it working tonight. I installed Debian Sarge on my IBM T42 laptop. I then updated the kernel to 2.6.12.

I created a file /etc/ppp/peers/provider and through trial and error came up with this content:

noauth
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' 'ATDT#777'"
    debug
    /dev/ttyUSB0
    defaultroute
    silent
    modem

Note: after chat -v those are two single quotes, not one double!

Then I did modprobe ipaq and ran wmodem on the ppc. The ppc was plugged in before running wmodem.

I then executed (but with debian I think I could have just done ‘pon’):

pppd file /etc/ppp/peers/provider

In my /var/log/messages file I then saw

Oct 8 22:02:03 localhost pppd[4714]: pppd 2.4.3 started by root, uid 0
    Oct 8 22:02:04 localhost chat[4715]: send (ATDT#777^M)
    Oct 8 22:02:04 localhost pppd[4714]: Serial connection established.
    Oct 8 22:02:04 localhost pppd[4714]: Using interface ppp0
    Oct 8 22:02:04 localhost pppd[4714]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
    Oct 8 22:02:07 localhost pppd[4714]: local IP address 68.244.146.82
    Oct 8 22:02:07 localhost pppd[4714]: remote IP address 68.28.99.137

I then verified I had connectivity. Everything worked fine. The only problem I can forsee is that I’ve seen the device get assigned to /dev/ttyUSB1 after being reconnected. This would require the config file being edited or the machine rebooted to fix. Maybe reloading the ipaq module would work.

Good luck!

Khz
    Last edited by Kher; 10-09-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Thumbs up Super Quick way to Internet through USB on Linux to HTC Harrier with EVDO and WModem

boot knoppix into X-Windows

from a shell do:
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.ko vendor=0x0BB4 product=0x00cf

vi /etc/ppp/options
    comment out the following:
    lcp-echo-interval
    lcp-echo-failure

in x-windows do:
    click on the knoppix tux on the kde bar then highlight "network/internet"
    scroll up and to the right then click on "/dev/modem connection setup (serial/USB/IRDA/Bluetooth)"
    click to highlight the radio button next to "usb: USB connector" then click OK.
    scroll down the list and then click to highlight the radio button next to "ttyUSB0: USB Serial 0". Click Yes when prompted to set the symlink for /dev/modem to it.
    Click on the knoppix KDE icon on the kde menu bar, highlight "internet" then select "KPPP (Internet Dialup Tool)"
    Click on Configure.
    You will start under the Accounts tab. Click New.
    Click Manual Setup.
    Type "EVDO" in the connection name box.
    Click Add to add a phone number.
    Enter the phone number: #777 (including the pound symbol).
    Click the scroll-down for Authentication and select PAP.
    Click OK.
    Click on the Modems tab then click New.
    You will start under the Device tab.
    In the Modem Name box type HTC.
    Click on the Modem tab. Click "Modem Commands".
    Erase "ATZ" from the "Initialization String 1" box.
    Enter "ATV1E0Q0&C1&D2S0=0" into the "Initialization String 1" box then press Enter. Click OK on each to close the open configuration box(es) until you return to the beginning menu. At the KPPP beginning menu make sure that "EVDO" is selected in the scroll-down next to the "Connect To:" field.
    Enter XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com into the Login ID field, where X's are your cellular phone number.
    In the password field enter "vzw".
    Run the WModem.exe program on your HTC Harrier and make sure you select USB from the dropdown menu and have it connected to your PC. If necessary disconnect your data connection if it is up on your Harrier when you first run the WModem.exe program, then reconnect it while WModem.exe is running.
    Click "Connect" on the KPPP beginning menu to bring up the internet connection to your PC.

I used the Knoppix 4.0 DVD LinuxTag Edition, but this method should work on all of the future Knoppix DVD releases. Also, on most Linux Distributions with a little tweaking. There is absolutely no need to recompile your kernel if you area already loading modules.

I suggest downloading and using the newest DVD version 4.02 as it fixes some bugs and doubles your speed. Remember that the kernel is 2.6.12 in this version though, and you will have to change the path you type. Additionally the new release includes the sleuthkit package which will allow you to perform forensics on the hard disk of the computer you run it on. (Although i would only do that on windows shares, EXT3 and resierfs will change their checksums just by mounting them to read).

I used the embedded verizon authentication 'credentials' as an example in this post, you can really use anything though, or use however your provider has embedded your device to.

Thanks to everyone involved in the work on getting together WM2003SE ROM version 2.03! It runs so smoothly for me and makes doing things like this a breeze.
    Last edited by ParMaster; 10-12-2005 at 07:35 PM.

KHER

I LOVE YOU MAN!

you are the shiat!

thank-you thank-you thank-you-thank-you

this needs to be added to the faq or howto section

not nessarily the whole thread but at least the last two post

kher and the one below his (sorry forgot name) but looks good too