+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Unbelievable data usage!

I have a client using a PPC-6600 on Bell Canada’s network. He’s new with the whole PPC thing and is a very light user… probably actually reads 100 emails/month and responds to a dozen or so. Gets a fair amount of SPAM, but not an inordinate amount.

The device is synching with an Exchange 2000 IMAP account, and only downloading the first 3KB of the messages. Very few attachments are downloaded… in fact the user didn’t even know how to download attachments for the first month and a half. No internet browsing used.

Given my experience with other handheld devices (Palm, and Blackberry) we didn’t get the “unlimited” data plan from Bell. First month’s bill came in at over $4000.00 CDN! Data usage was ~350MB if I remember correctly.

Bell insists that it’s legitimate usage, although I don’t see how that could be. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Is there some IMAP sync related issue that could be causing data usage like this? Being slightly less concerned over the data usage after switching to the unlimited plan, I’m still flabbergasted at the amount of traffic this thing generates. The past couple of months have been over 500MB. As mentioned earlier this user only reads and responds to a few emails per day… IF that.

I’m working on getting the original bill (before the “unlimited plan”) changed, but I have no idea what to tell Bell.

Has anyone seen this kind of unexplained data usage before?

I wonder if the Bell service is reading large attachments and then just not sending them to the unit because of size. What is bandwidth - stuff to their server or stuff actually sent to the phone.

I have the Telus unlimited and I am very happy. Some months I use nothing but others huge amounts. On avergae I cannot complain.
    Mr. Snowman
    <a href="http://www.nonijuiceint.com/today">www.nonijuiceint.com/today</a>

I use my XV6600 with Verizon EVDO network to sync Outlook (approx 100 messages at any given time) with attachments in addition to browsing the web, using the XV6600 as a dialup Modem for my laptop, Stream live TV using ORB while riding the bus for at least a couple hours each week, plus running Instant Messanger and my total data usage for last month was only 158MB.
    350MB sounds like pretty high usage for "light user". There's got to be something going on there.

agreed...there is more to the story than 100IMAP messages....

I sync way more than that in a month and only use 25mb

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Kilobyte usage through 09/25/05 11:35AM is 249434 Kilobytes or 243.5MBs.

I used EVDO for three days straight in las vegas, and synch hundred+ messages a day.

E

Geek
    I stream radio most of the day on EVDO, check email on three accounts 6-10 times per day and check various websites throughout the day and I am at 70MB of data in 12 days.

I also download only the headers to messages so it sounds like something is wrong.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600

Converged
    I've used 127MB since 9/15 and usage is current as of 9/25. So about 12mb per day or roughly 360MB per month.

Light web-surfing, weatherpanel and egress update every 30 minutes. I do use Goodlink for mail and calander. I've found a few times that weatherpanel shows that it is undating with its icon and it will stay that way for hours. Wonder if maybe it's locked up and transimitting data. Reset is the only thing that seems to clear it.

Good thing I have unlimited data I guess.
    Cigular 8125

Just curious, how are you guys tracking your data usage. I'm currently on an unlimited plan but with EVDO coming to Sprint, I assume that I'll have to change to one of their two EVDO plans and I want to ballpark my useage before jumping.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    #DATA on verizon phones wins your two text messages... one with text message counts to date and one with data usage to date.

E

Sounds to me like the user may not have "disconnected" after getting mail.

I look at verizonwireless web page to see both minutes and data usage.