+ Reply to Thread

Having a problem getting my phone activated...HELP

I posted this on another forum and got some pretty good suggestions but none seemed to help me out, maybe someone on here has an answer.

I am a new sprint user, I've never had a contract w/ them before. I have been working at BestBuy for around two years now and I have just become eligible to get a really good plan for pretty cheap through Sprint.

I knew I wanted a PDA as well as a phone so I purchased a new, un opened, never activated Audiovox PPC-6600 from ebay. I recieved the phone just as promised with no problems on the 12th of september. In order to get my phone and service activated I had to fax a form to sprint and wait about 5 days.

Roughly 5 days later a guy from sprint calls me and everything seems ok untill he checks the ESN number and it turns out the phone was activated on the 15th...three days after I recieved it. I emailed the guy I bought the phone from, he is a very straight forward person and seems legit. He says that he got the phone from sprint and thinks that it was either illegally or accidentally activated by someone.

So I call the guy from sprint i had been dealing with and he refers me to a number and tells me to talk to the fraud team. He also goes onto say that the phone was pysically activated, someone called in supposedly having to have the phone in hand and activated it on the like the 13th, this is impossible since I had the phone at this time.

I talked to another person from Sprint on the phone and they said that the account the phone was currently activated on had been suspended for lack of payment, but even the guy at sprint found it strange since it had been less than a month since their account was activated.

I recently went into a Sprint store and explained my situation, i brought the phone and the box in and showed the guy that I had both of them in my possession. He didn't honestly seem all that interested and basically said there wasn''t anything he could do and that I should call customer service, when I told him that they told me to come into the store he just sort of shrugged and repeated himself.

Sorry this is so long but it's an ongoing problem I have been dealing with for a while.

Any help or advice for this situation would be greatly appreciated I am tired of having a useles 500 dollar phone...

Thanks a lot,
    Josh Hagans
    Last edited by IronLung; 09-27-2005 at 11:49 AM.
    Josh

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Call SPRINT. Ask to speak with a supervisor. When asked "Before I do that, maybe I can help you" tell him "No, thank you, I appreciate your willingness to try but I've already been through three reps."

"What is this about, Sir?"
    "new phone activation"
    "I really can help you with that.'
    "Supervisor please"

"Hello, this is the supervisor, how may I help you?"
    "I'm sorry, what's your name?"
    [supervisor gives you his name]
    "Thank you, MR.XXX or MRS.XXX"
    "Here's my story..."
    [repeat your story from the posting above]

Summarize:
    "So you see, I have a brand new phone. I want to sign up for sprint service. I know nothing about this stuff and think someone typoed and activated a different phone but somehow it's blamed on me. I'd like to activate this phone. Please let me know how to do that.'

If the supervisor says 'I need to transfer you" or anything like that say
    "I really appreciate it... except I've been transferred so many times I've gotten lost. Could you please STAY ON THE LINE until this issue is resolved AND explain it to the next rep so I don't have to keep doing it. I know you can do it quicker and more technically competent than I can."

Don't let them transfer you without the original supervisor staying on the line.
    If they say they need to research it and call you back say "Certainly", AND ASK THEM TO COMMIT BY WHEN THEY WILL GET BACK TO YOU: "WHen should I hear back from you?" If it's more than 4 hours say "I appreciate your help... but could you possibly call me back by ___:00... I really need this and it's been 2 days already."

Ehud

Thanks for the tip on getting in touch with a supervisor, I am about at my wits end with all the phone calls. I am actually sort of leary of even talking to their sup in fear that I will recieve the same, "Well you shouldn't have bought it off ebay the guy is probably trying to screw you/us, try and send it back and buy one from us good day sir." speech.

I figured that when I went into the store, phone in hand that the guy would be a little more accomadating but obviously I was mistaken, I will try and get in touch with some sort of supervisor later on today. Although I hate to do that because I know how much it bothers me when customers do it at BestBuy but if that is the only way I can get it resolved it's the only way.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Have any input? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again,
    Josh
    Josh

Unfortunatly since you bought the phone from e-bay your probably out of luck in regards to help by Sprint. The only thing you can hope is that the person 1) pays their bill and swaps out the phone to another one. or 2) that the persons account goes into final/write off and that Sprint does not tag the phone as being on an account that owes money. This usulay takes 3+ months before the account is finalized. If you paid via paypal or credit card I would 1) contact the seller that you want to return the phone due to it not being able to be activated 2) if they do not offer to take it back for a refund then contact paypal/credit card and dispute the transaction. let them know that the product cannot be used due to being on an account allready and that the buyer will not take it back. I forget how the paypal thing works and you have to check with your CC co about purchase protection.

Yeah I figured as much as well. I am trying to get in contact with the seller again about possibly returning the phone. In the mean time I am still going to try and get on someone at Sprint and see what they can do...

Thanks again,
    Josh
    Josh

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    At 6am my time you posted your question.
    At 10am my time I gave you a workable solution. I spent time writing it up in detail, so that even a moron could follow it.

At 6pm my time you are still whining having done absolutely nothing.

You want to know how to solve the problem? DO SOMETHING.

Ehud

Sorry man I haven't had time to try your solution out, I am going to give them a call tomorrow, I am hardly whining just looking for help with a problem. I'll try not to type in such a whiney manner next time. Anyway thanks for the write-up a moron like me needs the help.

Josh
    Josh