+ Reply to Thread

What Is The Purpose Of Skype On the PPC6601

A friend of mine has place Skype on his PPC 6601 and he loves it.

I must have missed a thread in here somewhere. But what is the purpose of using that on the PPC 6601???? You still get charge for data usage from Sprint.

Can someone bring me up to speed on this please.

Data usage is usually unlimited. So if you can get skype to work (I don't know if it will work on just 1x but it seems OK on EVDO) you don't use minutes. Or if you have Wifi, you don't use either. One guy used his 6600 in Europe for phone calls with Skype and a Wifi card.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Its pretty much usless on 1x, I had such terrible echo and lag no one could under stand me.
    Telus 6600 w/camera, Logitech mobile freedom, 1Gb SD
    Rom 2.04.00 WWE, Radio HA01_147, ExtRom 2.04.115 WWE, BT3500

I'm using it on 1x with my 6600 - seems to work fine for me.
    I don't have one of those skype phone numbers...but I'm considering getting one.
    Think about it...you have unlimited web usage - so if you use nothing but skype for yer phone calls...you can cut your service plan minutes to almost nothing..heh.
    Since you'd be connected to the internet all the time though, I wonder what this does to your battery life.
    Plus - you could be talking on the phone AND surfing the internet at the same time.

1x skype

has anyone else had any luck using skype on 1x? does it work?

qqq

unrecognizable characters

I installed skype on my phone a while back but all the characters were unrecognizable. Can anyone tell me why this happened?

I had a similar issue once...
    All I did was a soft-reset on the phone, and skype ran fine after that. I don't *think* I had to reinstall skype...

Originally posted by TechnoHippie
    I'm using it on 1x with my 6600 - seems to work fine for me.
    I don't have one of those skype phone numbers...but I'm considering getting one.
    Think about it...you have unlimited web usage - so if you use nothing but skype for yer phone calls...you can cut your service plan minutes to almost nothing..heh.
    Since you'd be connected to the internet all the time though, I wonder what this does to your battery life.
    Plus - you could be talking on the phone AND surfing the internet at the same time.
    Skype IM works great, but the VOIP is shakey over 1x. Skype is a very popular IM program, particularly outside of the US. Many of my foreign friends use it so I signed up as well.

I use VOIP over my 6601 to check my office voicemail, but I don't try to call people. The connection is not good enough.

I'm still struggling for a good wi-fi card for my 6601. I bought the San Disk (big bomb), and then went to Ambicom which works one out five times.

With a good Wi-Fi card, I think the 6601 would be a good VOIP box, but this has been a problem for me.

Purpose of Skype

I have installed it, but not yet tested it.

I travel on business to Asia, the Caribbean and South America, where Veri$$$on does not have any kind of agreements.

I am hoping that I can avoid the scams and overcharges by using the Wi-Fi socket card and Skype to phone home.

Anyone who has done this, I would love to hear your experience.

Dave