+ Reply to Thread
    Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar

thoughts on "shaving" my SD card

I have the Seidio holster, and aside from a few times where I fumbled to get the phone out, the SD card stays put. I just switched from a Sandisk 1GB to a Ridata 1GB Pro, and it's been popping out like mad. Now, rather than switch cards or clips, I thought I'd try to shave down the back of the card a bit, so that maybe there's less of a chance of something catching. Has anyone tried something stupid like this yet?

Ok, after searching (before posting), I found some posts in other forums for just this sort of thing. I'll still post this, though, 'cuz I'm like that.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

the plastic on those cards is pretty thin, you shave through that and you'll expose the actual flash chip inside.

I dont follow you though. Does your card actually stick out? Mind snapping a photo? with a different cam

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    I had to shave my sd card on my old treo 600 ... it stuck out quite a bit and it keep popping out all the time ... I just did the nail file thing ... worked great ... just be careful and don't remove too much ... I'm guessing I took about 1/8" off mine ... but they may vary ... you can kinda tell when your filing it ... it starts to "feel" thin

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

With my Sony Clie, i had to trim Memory Stick by about 1/8" or so to make it flush.

What i did was buy a small cheap card and experiment rather than risk damaging an expensive one.

Early modes left exposed gap which i filled with RTV silicone sealer.

Later cards had more plastic, and were ok as trimmed.

go for it.

Newbie (to forum & fone/pda combo)

DRB

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    Welcome to the club!

The shave was successful, in that I haven't popped the card out a single time since...although I did have a few hard-resets, but I think (read: hope) that was due to my battery being loose.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???