+ Reply to Thread

Palm Treo Pocket PC to challange XV6600

------ Bet the price of the XV6600 will drop like a rock just before the new Palm Treo Pocket PC is released. See the press release below:

Palm and Microsoft Join to Bring the Palm Experience to Windows Mobile

SAN FRANCISCO, Sep 26, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Verizon Wireless First to Market with New Treo Smartphone

Mobile-computing pioneer Palm, Inc. (NasdaqALM) and software pioneer Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT) today announced a strategic alliance to accelerate the smartphone market segment with a new device for mobile professionals and businesses. Palm has licensed the Microsoft(R) Windows Mobile(R) operating system for an expanded line of Treo(TM) smartphones, the first of which will be available on Verizon Wireless' national wireless broadband network. The news was revealed in a press conference with Ed Colligan, president and chief executive officer of Palm, Inc.; Bill Gates, chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corp.; and Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless.

The collaboration gives customers more choices and marks a dedicated effort to deliver one of the world's most innovative smartphone solutions on the software platform favored by many businesses. Treo smartphones combine the hallmark Palm experience of a full-featured mobile phone with email, messaging, web access(1) and organizational software -- in an attractive, compact design. The new Treo smartphone takes advantage of the Windows Mobile 5.0 platform in multiple ways, offering Outlook Mobile, Office Mobile and Internet Explorer Mobile built into the smartphone, as well as direct access to Exchange Server 2003 for mobile access to information.(2) In addition, the new Treo will operate with Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service, the largest high-speed wireless broadband network in the United States. Verizon Wireless expects the new Treo smartphone to be available to its customers in early 2006.

"We've long believed that the future of personal computing is mobile computing, and our collaboration with Microsoft is a historic step in delivering that vision to a larger market," said Colligan. "We're confident customers will see a differentiated smartphone that delivers our world-class usability on Microsoft's flexible and robust Windows Mobile operating system. We collaborated with Verizon Wireless first because of its high-speed wireless network and growing footprint of BroadbandAccess cities."

"This is a landmark alliance that will help businesses remain on the cutting edge of competitiveness," Gates said. "Demand for accessing information on mobile devices is soaring, and businesses want a low-cost, scalable solution. We're excited to team with Palm and Verizon Wireless to deliver a winning Windows Mobile solution that connects professionals to their critical information while on the go."

The Treo smartphone on Windows Mobile is a CDMA-based phone targeted for the U.S. market and takes advantage of Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service on its EV-DO network with download speeds averaging 400-700 kilobits per second. Today, about half the U.S. population, in more than 84 metropolitan areas and in hundreds of airports across the nation, can access download speeds comparable to DSL or cable-modem connections. Verizon Wireless has been expanding its BroadbandAccess service area steadily since its debut in the fall of 2003.

"The new Treo smartphone running Windows Mobile will highlight the speed and power of our BroadbandAccess service," said Strigl. "The Treo will deliver fast downloading of email and attachments as well as quick access to critical-business information, providing businesses with a great return on investment. Our strong relationships with Microsoft and Palm continue to provide real value for our customers."

The new Treo smartphone is powered by an Intel processor and joins Palm's award-winning family of Treo smartphones, which includes the Treo 600 and Treo 650, both offered today to Verizon Wireless customers.

The Palm Experience on Windows Mobile

During the press conference, the companies demonstrated the Palm experience now brought to life on Windows Mobile. The audience saw a sampling of Palm's award-winning hardware design integrated thoughtfully with a rich Palm software suite, including the ability to:

-- Contact someone quickly from the Today Screen and choose between home, office or mobile numbers, or select email or SMS. With only two letters entered, a customer can find a record from among thousands of contacts;

-- Reach people most often called via photo speed dials visible as a band of images on the Today Screen;

-- Decline a call with a friendly SMS, signaling "In a meeting" or "Talking with the boss" instead of simply ignoring the call; and

-- Rewind, delete or fast-forward through work or cell phone voicemail with familiar and consistent on-screen icons.

Full product details will be disclosed when the product is available for purchase in early calendar 2006. No plans were revealed for additional mobile operators. Palm indicated that a Treo smartphone using Windows Mobile based on other wireless technologies was not anticipated to be released earlier than the second half of 2006.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Yeah, a phone that won't be released for nine months and has a screen EVEN smaller than the 6700 is gonna kick the 2004 released 6600's ass.

Riveting.

E

Originally posted by Ehud
    Yeah, a phone that won't be released for nine months and has a screen EVEN smaller than the 6700 is gonna kick the 2004 released 6600's ass.

Riveting.

E
    Sorry to say it, but just the fact that it will have the 'Palm Treo' name will drive a lot of sales to it. People are brand name conscious and will buy something with the Palm brand even if it a inferior product. Also people will hold off purchases and wait for a newly announced product, so expect sales of the XV6600 to decline more as the release date of the Treo Pocket PC to approach.

Look, if you wanna troll for a palm vs real stuff debate... this isn't the place.

Nine months from now when you're proven irrelevant you won't be here.

I've said my piece. You can go in peace.

Ehud

You are talking 9 months away, there could be even better than that released by that time. A Palm is still just a Palm....
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    yeah i watched the press conference (available here)

you have to see the part where the guy from palm is going on and on about how innovative palm is and the camera cuts out and you can see this look on bills face that looks like hes about 1 second away from rolling his eyes.

other highlights for me were:
    the palm guy holding up the "windows treo" (they refused to give a model#) and saying "this is our first 3g device!"
    no really he said that. he forgot (or wants to forget) about the treo 300, 600 & 650

when they asked the verizon guy if they would be carrying a palm based device when the "windows treo" launches, he stammered and says yes we'll be carrying the treo 650 alongside this device (not a direct quote but close)

people SMSing bill and the palm guy 'cause they showed their demo treo numbers on the screen during a demo

the demo itself. it wouldnt be a microsoft press conference without a botched demo. the guy goes to show off how great Verizons network by using Resco radio and after it doesnt work right, he say 'looks like a network problem' or something to that affect and then doesnt mention Verizon for the rest of the demo.

but E is right. any device released with a screen that tiny isnt gonna fly. some of the 6700 people have switched back to the 6600 because of the loss of screen real estate. If this treo hit market today, it would be set to compete directly with the 6700 but in the press conference the palm guy said this treo would launch early next year (mention february later on) and would cost a little more than the previous treos which would put it greater than or equal in price than the 6700 and it might even approach the i730s price. but if they are expecting to get more for this device than they got for the 650s at launch, they had better launch tomorrow or all they are gonna get for buyers in 3-9 months are the people that have no idea what they are buying they just know there is a new treo out and they have to get it or their coworkers wont think their 'techy' (what I like to call blackberry syndrome)

this attempt at innovation falls under the 'too little(no pun intended), too late' category for me. palm knows both their desktop software and OS peaked long ago which is why they dumped chapura and attempted to slap together some outlook conduits in time for the 650 launch. they succeeding in stopping me from griping about how the palm desktop software hasnt changed in years to praying to god that theyd just change it back instead of trying to update it.

and then theres the Palm OS itself,
    got an error? -oh just reset and hope no one notices! it worked for microsoft in windows 2000+ -wanna know the difference? corrupting a single non OS file didnt repeatedly crash windows until you formatted the drive morons.
    and im not even gonna start on a rant about versamail or blazer cause then i'll just be so far off-topic it'll open a rift in the space time continuum and the universe would implode as a result.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

Disgruntledtech - Hats off to ya! That's one of the best and funniest posts I've read, period!

Trying out the 6700, and yeah ... the screen lacks especially for older eyes, but I've got another week before I can return it. Memory management problems too. My 6600 is beginning to look like it may be here for the long haul afterall. All these sexy new players makes it difficult to stay married, ya know?

I think the new Palm Pocket PC will have a market share. Not for me, though. I haven't found a device even CLOSE to the 6600 I would even consider.

That said, I used to be a Palm junky. My last (and still have it) is a Sony UX50 - the best Palm OS device there is! However, it doesn't even come close to the power and versatility that the Pocket PC has to offer, which is why I switched, AND why PALM is moving into the REAL world, and coming over to Pocket PC!

Some people will like the Treo experience because they're used to the form factor. Some will jump on the, "I've got the latest and 'greatest' (*sic*)". It DOES feature the latest Pocket PC Version, which is it's only claim to fame, IMO. However, in keeping with Microsofts SOP, (Standard Operating Procedure), it will be riddled with bugs, and being so new, will be over a year before it starts to get stable.

After all, the public IS Microsoft's beta test group! I speak from experience!
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    thanks br, i figured if i forced myself to suffer through the webcast, I might as well summarize the stupid points for other people to mock. There were too many morons in suits on that stage. The only person I have any respect for on that stage was Mr. Gates* The other guys were friggin' clueless. the palm pissed me off 'cause I could tell he is the type of overstuffed executive ******* that makes his secretarie setup a new PDAphone every week so he can carry the latest 'techy' status symbol on his belt. the verizon guy didnt want to be there and really didnt try to hide it.

*if you knew me that statement would seem out of character but I have to respect anyone that can earn enough money to purchase the state I live in while still providing me with job security by releasing his companies products well before they are market ready.
    Last edited by Disgruntledtech; 10-01-2005 at 04:11 AM.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

I also think that many people will think that Palm doing a Pocket PC is an act of desperation. People don't want to invest in a product from a company that appears to be failing. I don't know how this will factor in. Remember that most members of this forum are not typical of the buying public.

6700, Treo 700w vs 6700

No comparison or contest!!!

I played with a 6700 and found it to be nothing like the hype. Cheap feeling and IMO that slider mechanism should break in less then a year.

As for the screen size. Watching a video on that thing sucked, much less reading an email. A Treo with M5 in it sounds nice but in the end it does nothing for me.

My XV6600 rocks!

Overall my only issue with all the devices with sliders is the fact that over time the mechanism will deteriorate to the point that if held upside or sideways the unit will slide out. My XV6600 already slides about 1/16 inch and I never use the keyboard.

Which brings me to another point. I would prefer a device that offers what the XV6600 and use whatever space or capacity that a keyboard takes up and increase the ROM/RAM. Or make the BT better, etc.

It seems that the manfacturers of these units have all been blinded with the mindset that they have to create the ultimate "balckberry killer" How about they just make a killer device! (they are close)

Personally I dont care about a keyboard, cant use it while driving or if you have large fingers, etc. Its a waste of space that can be used for better served technology, such as GPS.

A little off subject.

As for the 6700 and 700w, limited market share and alot of returns are what I see coming for those units.
    XV6700- Awesome!

I'm a grafitti kind of guy myself, but I think we are in the minority. Treo offered a keybaord a grafitti version of their units and I don't think I ever saw one of the the keyboardless versions.

I would love to see them do a keyboardless version, but my #1 add-on would be built in Wifi. My #2 choice would be a CF slot so that I could shove a GPRS card in the unit when I am outside of the US.