+ Reply to Thread

Do you 2-3 soft reset a day?

I love my XV6600. I truly use it to the max - music, internet, goodlink email, tom tom gps, hotmail, and lots of other things.

I have owned it for about 9 months now and I find that I have to soft reset it 2-3 times a day. I have been basically learn to live with it this whole time.

I would now really like to get to the bottom of this. Here are the programs I have loaded. Anyone have any ideas what is causing my lock up?

SPB Plus, Goodlink Mail suite, Laridian Bible, Peacemaker, eWallet, ListPro, Pocket Launcher, Tombo, Worldmate, Picture Perfect 5, and TomTom GPS.

Does everyone else out there have the same issue and simply learn to live with it? Is it a program I am running or is it basically the Windows PPC OS on the XV6600?

I go weeks and weeks without having to reset mine.

I use voice command, SPB Pocket Plus, Marsware WeatherPanel, and a few other apps.

Don't really have any problems. You just have to learn what works and what doesn't over time.

DLD

Re: Do you 2-3 soft reset a day?

Originally posted by jackofalltrades
    I love my XV6600. I truly use it to the max - music, internet, goodlink email, tom tom gps, hotmail, and lots of other things.

I have owned it for about 9 months now and I find that I have to soft reset it 2-3 times a day. I have been basically learn to live with it this whole time.

I would now really like to get to the bottom of this. Here are the programs I have loaded. Anyone have any ideas what is causing my lock up?

SPB Plus, Goodlink Mail suite, Laridian Bible, Peacemaker, eWallet, ListPro, Pocket Launcher, Tombo, Worldmate, Picture Perfect 5, and TomTom GPS.

Does everyone else out there have the same issue and simply learn to live with it? Is it a program I am running or is it basically the Windows PPC OS on the XV6600?

My guess would be that your reset need is based mostly upon your loaded software. I run SBP PP , Sprite, Mapopolis, and few others and reset only about an average of once per week.

I guess that you should be happy that you aren't running a 6700. Those folks report very slow reboots after a soft reset and its doubtfful that you would have room for all your programs.

Bob Duckworth

With TomTom, I have to soft reset a lot, it's a memory hog I think, I find that even if you open it and close it after, do that a couple of times and you have to soft reset or nothing works right. Still TomTom is awesome so it's worth it.
    Tom

I reset daily on average. I think it is insane for this day and age, but I live with it because I know of no other better option. Only thing I have running is VoiceCommand.

NetFront, Pocket Player and Webis Mail are all memory hogs that seem to require frequent soft resets.
    YMMV,
    Mick

BA with wifi still can't be beat
    Jack,
    I feel your pain. I prob have 3 times as many apps loaded on my PPC. And I have no problems with any of them except for one.

Goodlink. It is the devil. When I uninstall Goodlink I can play games, movies, internet, you name it, with no probs, no resets. Once Goodlink is back in the picture everything goes to pot. Unfortunately Goodlink is not an option but a necessity for me to access my corporate email server. Search under Goodlink and you will see all the probs it causes different people. For such a well known company/software, I have never seen a more poorly designed software for the PPC. Good luck.
    SX66 (PH20B1)
    ROM: 1.40.00 WWE
    Radio: 1.13.00

Hey,

Limit as many StartUp folder apps as you can. Once I took Verizon's Intellisync agent out of there, NetFront 3.2 worked like a champ again. Does anyone know of a utility to kill processes like these that do not register as "Running Programs"?

I have SPB PP and eWallet in common with your list of applications and go weeks without needing to reset my PPC-6600.

Mine was bombproof for days at a time until I added Egress and large downloads of podcasts... it led to problems with ActiSync which is notorius if you are moving large files.

I would just try to debug it systematically. Uninstall half of the programs (the likely suspects) and see if the problem goes away. If it does, add them back until you find the troublemaker. It may also have been a bad install and you may fix by a removal and reinstall.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    I was running the 2.03 ROM with a ton of crap on it and had to reset 2-5 times per day. It got to the point where it was interfering with my ability to take calls, so I did a reinstall of 1.36. I'm limiting my installs to critical programs now, and I haven't soft reset for several days.

think it was the hard reset/lack of new programs that put the spring back into my 6600, not 1.36. I went to 1.36 for two reasons: 1) BT 3600 build, and 2) My ability to take calls was so degraded that I was desperate enought to consider calling Verizon for tech support and thought I'd get better support results with an official ROM.

Turned out the reason for my hard crashes was Egress. I returned to my solid installation but when I added Egress I got the hanging problem. I am communicating with the developer to find out what is the problem and if it can be fixed with settings changes. I have my installation stripped down to essentials and I think this is one piece of software that is not going to make my essentials list. I guess others have it working fine.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

SPB Plus

For me the culprit was SPB Plus. When I uninstalled it, the HARD reset problems seemed to vanish. I also noticed that the need to soft reset was greatly diminished.
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaMan
    For me the culprit was SPB Plus. When I uninstalled it, the HARD reset problems seemed to vanish. I also noticed that the need to soft reset was greatly diminished.
    I haven't used SPB Plus on my 6600, but I did use it on prior Pocket PC Phones and came to the same conclusion.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I'm using SPB Pocket Plus but I don't use it on my today screen at all except for the battery bar up top. I use Launcher and Magic bar as they seem to be MUCH more stable to use on my todayscreen. SPB Pocket Plus has a few other features that I like that don't include today screen features.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I have been using WisBar Advance for control of the top bar display/alerts and it seems to be stable. My problem seems to be the podcast reader.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz