+ Reply to Thread

Cool reconditioned permanent save

I just discovered something only lightly touched upon in this forum.

I received a new/reconditioned 6600 a few days ago. After a spontaneous hard reset this afternoon, I tried to restore from a previous permanent save (that was, of course, on my dead phone sitting at home). To my surprise, the phone started to restore, but when I looked at the contacts they were from the previous owner! I eventually figured out how to clear out the memory location, but lacking the ability to wipe out just my contacts and appointments "en mass", I spent a little while deleting this other guys contacts/appts from mine.

[You may ask,"Why not just hard reset again?" I did. But since I thought that after the second hard reset, and then syncing, I could do a permanent save as I was walking out the door again... ho ho ho. Checking those boxes after a sync will just combine what is still in the permanent memory with my currently synced machine. And since I had already reinstalled most of my software, I didn't want to do another hard reset. While I was in the car, I figured out how to clear the memory and after dinner I started the deleting process.]

So now I'm going through and finishing the final touches on reinstalling, backing up and putting CABs and an installer for Sprite B/U on my my SDcard and then and only then will I try the new spare battery that I also just received today.

The moral: If you get a reconditioned L/L phone, make sure you erase all of the current owners data! And keep backups where you can actually access them!
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

I recently got a refurb 6600 as well. How do I erase the previous owners stuff and replace it with my own?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    make sure permanent save is off
    go to \storage and erase everything.

E

Mine was supposedly officially refurbished, but apparenty they forgot about that part.

To clear the old Permanent Save memory:
    Start-->Settings-->System-->Permanent save. Clear all four of the check marks. Click OK, or X or whatever you have to close the window. You'll get the message that it will clear all the data; press OK.
    Done.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Of course, Ehud's answer is much easier.
    Peace ~ Trident