+ Reply to Thread

Question ActivSync with Exchange 2k3 Server?

A client of mine has an AudioVox XV6600 running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, v.4.21.1088 and Microsoft ActiveSync v. 3.8.0. Currently he syncs to the Desktop via the USB crable fine.. Recently I configured the server/internet activesync (using SSL) on the XV6600 and when selecting the inbox or calendar options to sync - I receive a notice to overwrite device or allow possible duplicates.. I'm reluctant to proceed at this point, as everything on my XV6600 is sync'd via desktop cradle and current..

Server is Exchange 2003.

If I do proceed by selecting the allow possible duplicates (exact selection description is different but this is close to the verbose) will it just update (sync) my XV6600 with my EX 2k3 server inbox or will it download my entire inbox (everything) all over again?

Or am I missing something? Is the Server considered a different partnership than the PC?

Thanks much..

Syncing to multiple databases causes alot of problems. Duplicates IMHO are the worse of the problems. I would turn off syncing through the desktop, (backup) hard reset the phone, and let it sync with the Exchange server clean. I've found when you don't start clean, its almost a random number generator on what gets synced and deleted.

Hope that makes sense, it kinda came out stream of conciousness.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Partnership

Thanks for the reply..

So will a server sync provide the same sync (attachments and all) as the desktop sync?

Do other people try and sync both via desktop and server?

Can I sync with the server via the cradle too?

btw-
    This site (forums) is the greatest..

Assuming your Outlook connects to the same exchange server then yes it should provide the same as the desktop.

I have tried doing this, and have had nothing but headaches. You are welcome to try it but after three different users coming to the same conclusion, that you should only sync in one place, I'd highly recommend not trying to sync to both the desktop and Exchange Activesync.

In essence the email, contacts and calendar sync with the Exchange server(which is why you see status on the device), everything else syncs with the desktop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ActivSync with Exchange 2k3 Server?-.jpg  

This is the ONLY area that the Palm is better than the Pocket PC. Palm's Hotsync is superior to Microsoft's Activesync. These problems are a non issue, for the most part.
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Question Outlook-Sync

wow- thanks for the help!!

So I should still use the desktop sync for 'my documentss' and clear the outlook sync (Cal, Inbox, ext..) and then use the Exchange server for that?

Again- Most appreciative!!

When you setup the partnership is where you setup what gets synced where. Since you hard reset (to avoid duplication as I suggested) you need to delete the partnership on the desktop anyway.

When you rebuild the partnership, one of the choices in the dialog boxes is
    -sync with this computer
    -sync with this computer and an exchange server

Select the computer and exchange server. It will then guide you through setup for both the server and the desktop.

PDA/Phone Junkie

No Reason to Hard Reset

When you opt to sync with the Exchange Server it is asking whether you want to overwrite the information on the device or add it. Just overwrite the information on the device. Since you are now syncing with your desktop, which is syncing with Outlook, which is syncing with Exchange, if you select overwrite, it should be the exact same information on the device once the sync is done and you don't have to go through the headache of backing up and restoring.

As far as the going back and forth, if you change the device to no longer sync with the Exchange Server, it automatically deletes (on the device) whatever you are choosing to not sync with Exchange Anymore.

Dennis

Question ctive Sync 4.1

Well I guess back it up and try the easy path first- If that doesn't work try it the other way..

Have you tried active sync 4.1? I'm wondering if the known issue's - would prevent me from wanting to install it?
    • ActiveSync 4.1 does not support remote synchronization.
    • ActiveSync 4.1 does not support Backup/Restore of mobile device data

What do you think?

Thanks again for the valued information..

dmackdaddy seems to love being on the cutting edge. I think he'll have more to say about 4.1 than me. Many of us with WM 2003 have stuck to 3.8 because it allows remote sync. So if you have wifi, or try to connect through the internet, 3.8 is the way to go for now. You can give 4.0 and 4.1 a whack but know that getting those uninstalled isn't all that easy. Most people suggest setting up a system restore point before installing either so its easy to get back to 3.8.

Its up to you but I've done this long enough to say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you have a backup and lots of time.