+ Reply to Thread

Question Any way to receive calls/notifications w/ PPC-6600 modem?

Is there -any- way to receive calls or at least a notification that someone called or sent you a text message while using the PPC-6600 as a modem for your laptop?

Administrator
    you should atleast get a text message and vm icon when your phone is receiving and transmitting data...

Not gonna happen until the 6600 gets the EV-DO upgrade from Sprint. EV will allow a voice call to trump the data session.
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

Administrator
    yeah if my post was not clear,

you can not make phone calls when using vision.. but you should get text messages and VM notifications. those alerts operate on a different frequency than voice

skippyrq: Could you give some details? How does the EV-DO update achieve this?

Is it due to the listing order in the PRL or is it some function of the radio stack or am I totally off?

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    you should atleast get a text message and vm icon when your phone is receiving and transmitting data...
    Nope. After I end my modem session and stop the WModem application, then I'll get any text messages that were sent and and calls I've missed. But if those missed calls left a voicemail, I won't get a new voicemail notification.

I think people didn't understand that you were using wmodem.

There is no way that I know of to receive any notifications (incoming call, VM, SMS, etc.) while tethered.

When the phone is acting as modem it basically shuts off the intelligence that receives those notifications and channels the data connection direct to your PC.

It works exactly the same way in 1x and EV-DO areas. Sorry.

Dan

If you use BT to tether, you will receive (and possibly be able to send) SMS. If you use wmodem, it makes the OS think the phone is off (note the differences in the signal strength indicator).
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.