+ Reply to Thread
    Convergitated

A procedure that may help fix problems with memory cards

This process would work for me even if windows refused to format the device or assign it a drive letter. Be warned winhex is designed for raw disk editing, it can do serious damage. If you are not sure of something you are doing, stop right away!
    1. Start WinHex
    2. From the tools menu, pick ‘Open Disk’
    3. Under Physcial Media, select your SD card. WARNING: BE SURE YOU ARE CHOOSING THE CARD YOU WANT TO ERASE. THE DRIVE YOU CHOOSE HERE WILL BE PERMANENTLY ERASED. YOU CAN ERASE ANY DRIVE INCLUDING YOUR SYSTEM DRIVES AND WINHEX WILL HAPPLIY DO IT! NO DATA RECOVERY OF ANY KIND IS POSSIBLE AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THIS!
    4. Go to the edit menu and choose ‘Fill Disk Sectors’
    5. Choose ‘Fill with hex values’ and leave the number at ‘00’
    6. Wait for winhex to finish.
    7. Remove the card. Then format it, preferably in the device you are going to use it in. You can also use the windows format if you need to but check what kind of format your device requires first. If you don’t know then try FAT32 first, then FAT second. Do not choose NTFS.

Would love to try this procedure on my Sandisk 2GB Card that went "belly-up" last week, but I have lost the card! (Not that it matters, didn't work anyway...)
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

spr
    cool to know. As I posted also if you use a program to erase all blocks it works as well. e.g. xp format doesn't do this. Dos or another prog which does a full format will. I use the toshiba format util for the sd port on the laptop. This came to me once I erased the sd, then put stuff on, then loaded it into the 6600 and it showed the old files that were on it but could not open them etc.