+ Reply to Thread

Emails being Deleted

I use Wirelss Sync to our companies Outook Server. The handheld only keeps 3 days of messages to keep the storage size down. After the messages are three days old they get deleted, the problem is when I log into outlook through my laptop those messages are the Deleted Items folder and sometime get accidentally deleted, how do I prevent this, I just want them to be deleted off the phone and kept in my inbox on the server???

PDA User since 1997
    There are two ways to sync with exchange using wireless sync. One is using your laptop as a gateway to the office exchange server, the other is accessing the exchange server over the web and entering the web address in activesync [server setting] on the handheld.

If you are using your laptop as a gateway, your laptop will emulate your handheld, thus placing old email in the delete folder. If your company permits web access to exchange, you should remove wireless sync from your laptop and use activesync on the handheld to directly access the exchange server via the web (cell network). Direct access will NOT delete mail from the server.

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/stay...e/connect.mspx

Good Luck...!

I am having a similar problem with wireless sync and push enabled.. i get duplicate messages that seem to multiply over time. I have not been able to track down the reason for this, except to disable push and sync manually.

I finally called Verizon and got an answer. The way Wireless Sync works is that it pushes emails to Verizon's website (www.wirelesssync.vzw.com) and then syncs with the phone. After 4 days the website deletes emails (which results in them being moved into the "Deleted Items" folder in Outook).

The way this is handled is poor because you must make sure you don't have the "Empty Deleted Items on Exit" checked in Outook and every few days you must move the emails you don't want deleted back into the Inbox or you risk losing them.