+ Reply to Thread

SDIO WiFi Cards which support Host AP Mode, Could we build an Access Point for WM?

I know this may seem rhetorical, as most people use their PDA as WiFi clients. However, i've noticed a plethora of cheap SDIO WiFi cards, many of them OEM's. In fact, I have an Ambicom branded SD WiFi card which is actually the same OEM card as produced by spectec in Taiwan. Unfortunately i haven't seen a pocketpc driver by them that supports the softap function. The specs for the cards show that they can do "Host AP Mode", which is what it takes.

What this means, is that with these cards it should be possible to turn the Harrier/(Blueangel with SD Wifi Card) into an actual Access Point.

My knowledge of how the Windows Mobile kernel operates and its packet routing infrastructure is pretty much nil. I have seen that you can add ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as a catalog option when compiling a rom for Windows CE. An older product called Segue SoftAP by PCTEL actually did something similar while running under Windows XP, and utilized the built in ICS on it. I'm just curious if anyone knows of a way to build a ROM that something like this could be done through. I've never even seen a DHCP server for pocketpc, so there would need to be a few new things written for sure.

I would just like to know if this is absolutely impossible to do because of the operating system, i know that the hardware can do and handle this, easily. Also, to know if there is an interest in having something like this by the users in the community.
    Last edited by ParMaster; 10-11-2005 at 09:30 AM.

I guess i'll answer my own question. Apparently there is no routing built in to the OS (PocketPC).

However, companies like airscanner have managed to write drivers which interface to NDIS 6.0 for a firewall. Someone writing a packet router would be really cool.

Convergitated
    The only thing I've accomplished is to allow packet forwarding over an ad-hoc network through a ssh client. I created a port forward for openvpn. Not very user friendly but it did work. Unfortunately as far as I know there is only one ssh client supporting port forwarding and it's not easy to use either.

Thanks Kher,

Yeah i've seen the pocketpc ssh port forwarding application out there, i'd just had my hopes up for something that actually routes packets. I've even seen an http proxy someone made for pocketpc called pocketproxy. I think maybe i'll write to spectec and see if i can convince them to write host ap mode into a driver for their sdio card. That'll probably be like asking a wall though.