+ Reply to Thread
    Registered User ShutterPriority's Avatar

vzw PRL 50386 - sucking battery life?

All,

I just upgraded to the 2.04 ROM/HA01_151 radio [many thanks to all the posters here who made it possible] and during that process decided to update PRL's via *228.

So I get PRL 50386 downloaded, and VOILA! I notice an EVDO icon at the top bar! I'm near Raleigh, NC and had only 1X icons before with my old PRL (haven't updated since I provisioned in April 2005). The only time I saw EVDO before was in Washington/NY/etc.

Nice downstream speeds, etc. Browsing is fast.. VZW speed report is 480kb.. except JEEZ is this thing sucking battery now! I'm not seeing the 1X/EV 'flicker' that some others had reported earlier in other markets.. it stays solid EV.

Is this just a factor of EVDO, or is this related to some far-off EVDO enabled tower now being preferred over some local 1X only tower? I've noticed the signal strength _appears_ to be a little lower, but I'm not sure if I paid enough attention to it before and this might just an illusion.

Is there an older PRL I can test to see if this problem goes away?

--sp

Common problem with "Switching 1xRtt/EVDO" problem. Check this reference:

EVDO/1xRTT switching - Battery Draining
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Registered User ShutterPriority's Avatar
    Ok, so those threads were some of what I based my question on.. however for clarity I'm _not_ seeing the EV/1X flicker that others have described.

One thing that wasn't clearly outlined in those posts is where I would get an earlier PRL besides Verizon tech-support hell, or hacking it out of the install for another platform (and possibly not having an optimal PRL - I travel a bit).

Which, I guess is why I was looking for a more recent PRL from the 6600 to load with ##PRL# - thought someone else might have gone through this already.

I don't know whether this is a change in the 2.04 CE ROM or something else, but I've noticed my data connection stays connected even if I switch the device to off/standby - which is a different behaviour than before. I'm trying to manually clear the connection before shutting off to see if that's part of the problem and battery life increases.
    -SP
    VZW XV6700 - 2.07.20 WWE/1.10.00

Interesting. It has been my anecdotal experience that EVDO access does negatively impact battery life to a degree. Anecdotal as I haven't yet tried to quantify the difference.

I suspect that you are correct in guessing that this is so.

It will be interesting to see if shutting the data connection down has an impact.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.