+ Reply to Thread

Use camera as comptuter's webcam?

Is there a way that when my phone is connected to my computer via USB that I use the camera on the phone as a webcam for my desktop?

nope

Rats. Well maybe I can write a device driver for it somehow. I'm suprised that no one else has wanted to do this.

CJG
    you do realize that the camera on this device basically...um...sucks?

even if it were possible, i doubt anybody on the receiving end would be able to make anything out other than some really big pixelly things

Originally posted by CJG
    you do realize that the camera on this device basically...um...sucks?

even if it were possible, i doubt anybody on the receiving end would be able to make anything out other than some really big pixelly things
    mmmm...well its 640x480 though right? Seems like that's what my webcam is. I think it'd be alright. I'm just trying to elimante the need to carry around as much stuff as possible - my laptop bag is getting heavy...haha

Yeah, my webcam is 640 x 480 too. Using the phone as a webcam would be sweet. I'm sure it's possible, but someone would have to write a driver, and probably write some app for the phone as well to make it work like that.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about here and just giving my best guess, lol.

I don't think you'd need to write any software that would go on the phone itself, but yeah - I'll have to make a device driver for the desktop.
    There *might* be another way to do it too. I know there is software that lets you see your phone's screen on yer desktop, so if you had the camera running, you would then see the image on yer desktop - from there its just a matter of capturing that part of yer desktop screen and using that as yer webcam source...maybe something similar to virtual camera would work... http://www.soundmorning.com/ ... or maybe setup some kinda video-stream.... mmmmm... guess I'll have to think about it for a bit - but I still think it'd be cool to be able to do it....

Techno you reminded me, there is a way. and it was a setup like you just said. mirror the pda to the desktop pc. then there was a program that recorded a region on the screen and outputted it as a web camera would. now if i just remember where i saw it.

i swear your the one that lead me to that, back when i was asking if there was a way to use the pda as a webcam over 1x or evdo while on the go.

go look up our old thread.

That would be cool. My xv6600 doesn't have a camera but my ux50 does and I already have an app that sends output to my desktop wirelessly. A program that captures a screen region and outputs it as a web cam probably wouldn't care what device sent the data.

thats correct. i just forgot what its called. but google around for webcam desktop app or something

just thought i would point out this new software at pocketgear.com, http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=1962
    Support the fine arts... Shoot a Rapper!
    Phone/PDA: Audiovox XV6600

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    It's Deja Vu all over again.

Is it my imagination, or did this thread get re-dated and bumped? I would *swear* we had this exact thread, even down to the detail about device drivers and such, about three months ago.

Weird.

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Does seem that way....
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

ha...well it IS the same thread.
    Thanks sevarious for pointing out the piece of software, but this isn't really quite what I'm looking for. This doesn't really do 'streams'...it merely takes a snapshot and uploads it somewhere so it can be downloaded somewhere else. I' want something that does streaming.

your wrong, thats simply a front end for viewing the pictures remotely. wrong direction.

we want to take photos/stream off the pda and put it on the computer not off the computer onto the pda.

well...actually what I want to do is video chat....so I want both.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Oh right - it is the same thread. (sheepish grin)

I was still thinking it was October... man, that month went by fast!

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'