+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Searching for method of removing 1X/EVDO icon (and notification bubble)

The file that SuperDave located on the i730 (datamodeicon.exe) as responsible for the p-i-t-a 1X/EVDO status/notification bubble is not on the xv6600. I'm using Resco to locate under several variations of the name, but still, no joy.

Has anyone been able to identify and remove this icon yet? Thanks, in advance.

I know it isn't what you want, but I ditched the bubble completely with phone alarm and Wisbar Advance 2. With Wisbar, I just turn off the Notification Icon. The bubble is the crappiest system I've ever seen for giving alerts. PA 1.26 is now working quite well for me on Verizon. (I was having trouble with VM alerts but it seems fixed)
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Thanks, Ivan. WA2 is exactly what I was using prior to a planned hard reset. I had shelved PA until Bruce got the app more stabile (I'm adding it back on) and I'm not planning to put WA2 back on (though I may change my mind down the road).

I just figured that since the i730 is using the same basic OS and on the same network as the xv6600, I might be able to ditch that chronic nuisance, once and for all.

If I can't locate the file, I'm hoping that Alex Kac at PI can incorporate a hack to kill it from from within WebIS Mail.

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    I know it isn't what you want, but I ditched the bubble completely with phone alarm and Wisbar Advance 2. With Wisbar, I just turn off the Notification Icon. The bubble is the crappiest system I've ever seen for giving alerts. PA 1.26 is now working quite well for me on Verizon. (I was having trouble with VM alerts but it seems fixed)

Please confirm, Wisbar Advance does get rid of the lousy bubble? Are there not some incompatibilities with it and some other programs, maybe including Phone Alarm? I have Phone Alarm and it works fine for me.

PS If Wisbar can get rid of the bubbles, would perhaps imply there is a registry hack that might do it, or is that too optimistic?
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Jerryyyyy - My original post was a reference to a very simple method that SuperDave came up with for the i730 of eliminating the bubble/icon.

Yes, WA2 masks the icon/bubble but the notification still occurs in the background. I'm looking for the equivalent file on the xv6600 for the icon/bubble so I can rid myself of that icon/notification-of-stupidity, once and for all.

Originally posted by jerryyyyy
    Please confirm, Wisbar Advance does get rid of the lousy bubble? Are there not some incompatibilities with it and some other programs, maybe including Phone Alarm? I have Phone Alarm and it works fine for me.

PS If Wisbar can get rid of the bubbles, would perhaps imply there is a registry hack that might do it, or is that too optimistic?

Wisbar doesn't get rid of the bubble per se. What is does is completely replace the start bar. You can then choose what buttons to have on the start bar, including notifications (the bubble). You can choose to have a seperate button on the start bar for notifications, or asssign it as a tap and hold to another button. (I hope that all makes sense to someone who hasn't used it) It "gets rid of the bubble" by not having any notification icons on the startbar anymore. I can do this because Phone Alarm acts as my notifier now. Both are working great together.

What you and br549 want is a simple hack, like you said, that gets rid of the 1x/EV icon completely. I presume once that icon is gone, the notifier only shows the bubble when an event occurs, not just when you have a BT headset connected. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that fixes that problem on this phone.

Well, I threw caution to the wind and bought the sucker for $10 less my $1 discount for Avantgo and it works as advertised. No incompatibilities yet with Phone Alarm or Weather Panel. I hated the bubble.....

I guess there must be some nice skins around for it.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I hate that bubble too. Plus Wisbar gives the top and bottom bar a modern look.

For skins: Juni does some good stuff. So does piXel. I am using piXel's carbon fiber theme.

From the lakerigedsoftware homepage
    http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/wis...ins/index.html
    http://members.chello.nl/ddelug/skin.htm
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/anders.ruohio/skinz.html

Would Wisbar work well with Magic Button and/or spb Pocket Plus, or might they conflict? I've been an spb Pocket Plus user for awhile now, but have lately come to think that the only feature of it I really need is the "close button that really closes feature", so have been thinking of switching to Magic Button, instead.

Having read Ivan's comment that "Wisbar completely replaces the whole Start bar", I thought there might be some problem with the two operating together.

Originally posted by SteelWheel
    Would Wisbar work well with Magic Button and/or spb Pocket Plus, or might they conflict? I've been an spb Pocket Plus user for awhile now, but have lately come to think that the only feature of it I really need is the "close button that really closes feature", so have been thinking of switching to Magic Button, instead.

Having read Ivan's comment that "Wisbar completely replaces the whole Start bar", I thought there might be some problem with the two operating together.
    Good news... Wisbar has that same functionality (i.e. truly closing apps). I would most definitely not run it in conjunction with Magic Button or Pocket Plus.

Dan

Cool! Wasn't aware of that! Is this in a beta build or a release? Since WA Desktop is rapidly moving along, I may have to seriously consider including it in my rebuild. I was pleasantly surprised to find that WebIS Mail now includes the *close* versus 'smart minimize' function too. Think MS will ever get a clue on this? Naaaaaahhh! Who am I kidding?!

Originally posted by luv2chill
    Good news... Wisbar has that same functionality (i.e. truly closing apps).

Dan

There are released versions and betas, depending on OS and type of device (whether it's a phone edition or not). To be honest I haven't kept up with it lately, but just go visit their forums--quite a happenin' place. The developer is pretty responsive and releases updates fairly often.

Last time I tried it, WA wasn't working correctly with CDMA signal strength. But in all likelihood that is fixed now. I haven't tried it on my 6700 yet. Like SPB it is a monster resource-wise, and I want to give invasive programs like SPB and WA a few months to work out WM5-related bugs before I try them again.

Dan

From reports both here and on the WA2 forums, signal strength is functional now with CDMA.

I know what you mean about both it and SPBP+ being resource hogs (one of the main reasons I wanted to hard reset and clean it up a bit). Sluggish and a bit buggy was how WA2 had left my 6600. I'm hoping that WA Desktop will be a bit more streamlined since it's a unifying theme throughout the system. Then again ... may be just the opposite.

If no one knows what the file name is for the network status icon which is also responsible for the notifications (and I'm still unable to locate it), I may have to resort back to WA2 with my latest build.

Originally posted by luv2chill
    Last time I tried it, WA wasn't working correctly with CDMA signal strength. But in all likelihood that is fixed now. I haven't tried it on my 6700 yet. Like SPB it is a monster resource-wise, and I want to give invasive programs like SPB and WA a few months to work out WM5-related bugs before I try them again.

Dan

I got rid of SPB Pocket Plus because of the resource problem. I am quite happy with the task management that Wisbar 2 provides. The bar stays on top so I can always see the battery. I also use PHM Task Launcher to get to programs quickly, replacing the SPB today screen plugin. Wisbar has alt-tab and I have mapped it to a button on the Wisbar. I also mapped that same button to tap-and-hold -> Rotate the screen, which is something you could SPB PP put into the close menu. I liked Pocket Plus but I don't miss it now. Signal strength is working for me. The only problem is I never get all bars. I think it may be the skin but the indicator is good enough to tell me if I have signal.