+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy 6600 help overseas in military

Hello everyone,

I have been reading these forums for about 6 months now and had every question I have ever had about my G1000 and now my PPC6600 answered. I have nevered posted any questions for fear that it has already been asked so i just looked on and on...lol... I unfortunately can't find an answer to my newest problem. I am still fairly new to the whole Pocket PC thing so I don't know everything but I get my way around pretty well with all the help from you guys here... But here goes.... I am also fairly new to the Air Force.. I have been stationed in California for almost a year now and have fallen in love with my PPC6600 and now I have to move to Guam... I didn't know what I was going to do about not having my phone with me down there. I thought about getting a GSM version unlocked and using it down there but the data plans are unreal for the GSM carriers... They have one CDMA carrier in Guam called IT&E wireless that works on the CDMA 1900 band and is a PCS 3G carrier...From what I can tell they are very much like Sprint... I have found in other threads that I need to put in the MSL unlock code from Sprint but after that I am lost and cannot figure anything else out... So I leave with high hopes that someone can help me save my phone...lol... And I leave great thanks to Ehud for most of the answers I have needed have came from his posts.... And thanks to Tom in the G1000 Threads for all of his help when I had my G1000....

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    There was one guy in (indonesia?) who claimed but didn't verify that he got his sprint phone to work with his local carrier. Other than that claim, nobody has gotten their phone to work with a carrier other than the selling carrier.

That discouragement aside here's what you need:
    1. Your Guam CDMA carrier to give you a PRL file in a usable format that you can load into your phone. You can ask for this before you move. If you can't get this, the rest is meaningless.
    2. Your MSL. SPRINT will give this to you so long as your account is active. So, before you disco your account, call up and ask for the MSL. The general concensus is if you're told no just hang up and call again. The key is to ask for the "unlock code".
    3. If you got far enough to have the PRL and the MSL, ask your Guam carrier for all the "parameters". Here I'm beyond my knowledge, and someone else can add. These are what you enter in ##PST# to talk to your new carrier's network.

If you actually get this working, please document it... it would be the first such.

E
    p.s. You're welcome... and thanks for putting your life on the line to help protect our country from terrorists, insurgents, and idiots in Washington.

Thank you Ehud!!! That is actually very good news to me.. I got the MSL from Sprint but I am sort of affraid to ask how to actually upload the PRL that I get from IT&E in Guam onto my phone...I have never done that manually... as far as the parameters I understand that somewhat....

I will post anything I can accomplish also

Jason

And you are very welcome...I take an enormous amount of pride in wearing the uniform and I like to give thanks to anyone who appreciates that....so thank you

Ehud.... I found this you might wanna check it out... your information plus this has helped and i think i have gotten it to work...let me know what u think.. http://www.bridog.net/cellular/msl.txt

Originally posted by HighFlyer04
    Ehud.... I found this you might wanna check it out... your information plus this has helped and i think i have gotten it to work...let me know what u think.. http://www.bridog.net/cellular/msl.txt
    Getting a CDMA phone to work on another network is not difficult as long as the carrier will work with you. Many people have gotten phones activated on Verizon in the past, though Verizon has been cracking down on these.

The PPC6600 series have proven more problematic at least on the data side.

I also don't think you can use the Sprint website to switch between data devices. On my screen with Sprint (I"m a data only plan), I did not see the option. When I've switched service to my datacard, it has required a manual swap and some initiation procedures.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by HighFlyer04
    Thank you Ehud!!! That is actually very good news to me.. I got the MSL from Sprint but I am sort of affraid to ask how to actually upload the PRL that I get from IT&E in Guam onto my phone...I have never done that manually... as far as the parameters I understand that somewhat....

I will post anything I can accomplish also

Jason

And you are very welcome...I take an enormous amount of pride in wearing the uniform and I like to give thanks to anyone who appreciates that....so thank you
    Just put the prl file in your phones my documents folder. Enter ##prl# and input the msl. Then browse to the prl file and click update.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

what kind of file extension will the PRL file be... I may look like a moron asking that since it is probably .prl but i just wanna be sure

got it

hey ehud i just wanted to update you and everyone else who helped me out with ths but I got it to work... I was able to get a technician from ITE Wireless to help me out and got the PRL and all of the settings.... my phone works just as well on Guams ITE as it did with Sprint I still use it as a modem and everything... just wanted to say thanks a million

Good to hear! I love seeing posts like this, it just shows how great these forums can be!
    Tom

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Hey - that IS great! Can you share the details so that they will help others with the same question? (whatever details you have... what you had to do to the phone... what you needed... what you entered... what happened..)

E

no problem.... all I did was get the MSL from Sprint... the key is the ITE worked with me.... they gave me the PRL and i just updated it in my phone by myself then i gave ITE my MSL then my ESN they did the rest over the network they said leave my phone on for and hour and leave it alone.... i set it beside me and watched it update then it reset...... i tried it and everything worked like a charm