+ Reply to Thread

Setting up ActiveSync over BT- cannot add com or serial service>?

hi-

can't get AS working over Bt. I have a DLink dbt-120 with widcomm drivers, laptop uses xp pro. This is my work laptop, so my access is limited for security reasons (ie, no regedit, etc.). everything pairs just fine.

When I go to Advanced config in BT settings, there is no Bluetooth serial service listed. When I click "Add Serial Service", it goes thru its gyrations, tells me Windows is adding the service, but nothing ever gets listed in the servcies window. Same for adding com ports on the client apps tab.

In devcie manager, com ports 4-19 are listed as BT communications ports. I assume it is adding one every time I click "Add COM Port". I can't delete these ports either, because of the user level security.

Any ideas?

tia
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    In order to sync with a Pocket PC and/or a PALM device, you must have Administrator access on the laptop. I don't believe even Power User access has the rights.

I assumed you are using Windows XP or 2000.

Hi, John, thanks for the reply!

Using win xp pro, and I have been syncing with the cradle for a long time, just now trying to switch to BT. I did have to have a tech support person log in as admin to install the dongle. When the software was first installed, it had the bluetooth serial port listed, but it didn't work, so I tried to delete the service and start over per instructions I found in a posting here. But now it won't do anything when I click "add service" to reinstall the serial port, also nothgin when I click add COM port.

My suspicion is that it is the user access rights, but it usually explicitly tells me that with a warning window. In this situation, it acts like it's doing something (i get a "please wait while windows installs..."), but no new services appear in the window.

getting the feeling that this is more trouble than it's worth. i won't be able to go back to the admin person too many more times for login access, as we're both pretty sure this is against policy even though policy never specically mentions bluetooth, just wireless in general.

any other thoughts?
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

Club Pocket PC Louisville JohnBecker's Avatar
    My only other suggestion would be to see if there is an update for the Bluetooth drivers/software that is on the laptop. Since it's a dongle bluetooth, try finding an update on their website.

You may still have to get an Admin to install the update. I've set up several different bluetooth dongle devices at work and each have their own quirks. No two have ever been the same with various manufacturers.