+ Reply to Thread

Verizon's Unlimited EVDO Plan Apparently Has Some Limits

The Cartman of Convergence
    Yea, old news. It's in the TOS, which by the way, we all agreed to.

"Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess services cannot be used (1) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games, (2) with server devices or with host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, Voice over IP (VoIP), automated machine-to-machine connections, or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, or (3) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.

l. Network disruptions and unfriendly activity: Using the Services for any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either Verizon Wireless Services or other parties' Internet-based resources. This specifically but without limitation includes excessive consumption of network or system resources whether intentional or unintentional.

Furthermore, Verizon Wireless has the right to terminate access to or use of the Services as set forth in the Customer Agreement and the VZAccess Terms and Conditions."

Onstjohn

Re: Verizon's Unlimited EVDO Plan Apparently Has Some Limits

Originally posted by stufried
    http://evdoforums.com/about1004-0-asc-0.html
    Everything has limits. Read the data terms of service.

Re: Re: Verizon's Unlimited EVDO Plan Apparently Has Some Limits

Originally posted by fixn278
    Everything has limits. Read the data terms of service.
    I'm a Sprint User. I just thought that the thread would be interesting to folks out there.

One problem with these terms is the fact that people don't exactly know where the boundaries are. It sounds like the old obscenity standard -- I'll know it when I see it.

To Verizon's credit, they appear to give you some notice. If any of you follow VOIP stuff, there are several VOIP providers that retroactive bill you once they decided that your usage is unacceptable on their "unlimited access plans."

Stu

The guy was downloading movies and mp3s (10gig/month usage), i'm not suprised at all at Verizon's action.

Re: Re: Re: Verizon's Unlimited EVDO Plan Apparently Has Some Limits

Originally posted by stufried
    One problem with these terms is the fact that people don't exactly know where the boundaries are. It sounds like the old obscenity standard -- I'll know it when I see it.
    Actually, it's pretty clear. Problem is, most people don't read it.

Here's a snapshot.
    Attached Images

I don't think they monitor it too much....I called to check how much useage I was using....He said "850 meg last month....Yeah, I'd say you need the unlimited"

seriously...unless they are watching your packets...how can they tell what you're downloading....they're too busy trying to sign up new customers to worry about a gig or two of network traffic....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Verizon's Unlimited EVDO Plan Apparently Has Some Limits

Originally posted by fixn278
    Actually, it's pretty clear. Problem is, most people don't read it.

Here's a snapshot.
    Bear in mind, in the instance at the beginning of the thread, he is using an EVDO DATA CARD with an unlimited data plan, NOT a pdaphone tethered. I believe this is a HUGE difference, he is paying for "unlimited data" through the card but they are still saying he used too much. The quote from the PDA TOS doesn't exactly pertain to this situation...
    Tom

Couldn't the problem be solved with the unlimited broadband service for $59.00 (for laptops)? Wouldn't Verizon assume there would be high usage? Why try to max out a PDA/Smartphone data plan that explicitly disallows tethering?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/promotion/controller?promotionType=miniPac&action=miniStart

OA

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Verizon's Unlimited EVDO Plan Apparently Has Some Limits

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    Bear in mind, in the instance at the beginning of the thread, he is using an EVDO DATA CARD with an unlimited data plan, NOT a pdaphone tethered. I believe this is a HUGE difference, he is paying for "unlimited data" through the card but they are still saying he used too much. The quote from the PDA TOS doesn't exactly pertain to this situation...
    Tom
    I am not sure I see what you are saying. Where does it say he was using the card?

Originally posted by xxplosive
    The guy was downloading movies and mp3s (10gig/month usage), i'm not suprised at all at Verizon's action.
    I routinely stream over a gig a day with Sprint, totally within the TOS, as I don't tether the device to a PC.
    Not only have I never had a problem, but I verified with Customer Service that my usage is within the TOS.
    It's kind of bizarre that if I can stream an unlimited amount directly to my PPC-6601, but would violate the TOS if I downloaded as little as one email with the device tethered to a PC.
    Mick

On the first page he posted the following:

mostly typical browsing i have download games, but nothing p2p.
    there is nothing wrong with downloading games from direct2drive
    they are large but how can they say that's "misuse" when it's unlimited

i have had the service for almost a year now.

i can't seem to find where it lists mb downloaded on the verizon's site. it only shows minutes used which of course is 0 min. cause it's data

I assume because of the last part of his comment "cause it's data" and through reading the entire thread that he's using a data card.
    Tom

I'm curious enough to bump this thread and ask if anyone has tracked down the data limit for Verizon. How much is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabey8
    I'm curious enough to bump this thread and ask if anyone has tracked down the data limit for Verizon. How much is too much?
    10 Gig/month seems to be the trigger point. Haven't heard of anyone actually getting shut down for violating specific terms of the TOS. VZW just assumes that if you have 10 gig of data, you must be violating one or more of the terms.

Alan

Fully Converged
    It's 5GB...theyve spelled it out in their revised TOS
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

I was canceled for downloading vongo movies with my pc card and without any warning. I went over 5 GBs.
    XV6600
    JBT350
    There's no place like pdaphonehome, There's no place like pdaphonehome, There's no place like pdaphonehome!

Quote Originally Posted by tlarson
    I was canceled for downloading vongo movies with my pc card and without any warning. I went over 5 GBs.
    You list your carrier as Verizon. Did they let you join back up? Or is the VX6600 on a different plan?