+ Reply to Thread

XV6600 Easier to set up than Blackberry?

I have had a "normal" cell phone and seperate PDA for quite some time.. I've had Palm based and Windows based PDA's. I was looking at replacing both with either a Treo 650 or a XV6600/SX66 when work handed me a Blackberry with unlimited Data plan on it - ...

After about a week with the Blackberry, I don't think I am overly impressed (it's with Cingular). I think I can transfer the money the company is putting in the data plan to another device, if I purchase the device myself, so I am back in the market, so to speak.

E-mail on the Blackberry is awesome - web browsing is pitiful, and I have been fighting for about 3 days to get Instant Messenger to work at all, but it keeps giving an error - the folks on blackberryforums.com have had the same problem, and apparently you have to say exactly the right thing in exactly the right order to exactly the right person at Cingular to get the account set up to allow *something* to be done so that Instant Messenger and many other web type apps to work.

Realizing that this is probably carrier dependent, is getting stuff like this to work on the Treo this difficult? I don't want to go through the trouble of convincing work that I need to change the data plan, plus buying a new device for myself only to end up with the same problems I am having now. I think I know that the Blackberry data plans are different from the PDA phone data plans, so I am hoping that is the difference that would make a xv6600 or similar easier to get working.

My long term goal is to have e-mail, IM, web browsing, and remote desktop ability from the handheld with reasonable performance. Am I asking for too much?

Yes, I am posting the same thing on the treo650 thread because I am also looking at a Treo, - if you see it both places, pls don't yell at me about cross posting - they are different devices, and could have different answers to this...

What does your IT department have setup? Easy/Hard is relative. They already have BES setup (I am assuming that is why you got a blackberry) Most companies focus on one technology and deploy it.

You need to ask your IT department if they have Exchange Activesync setup. (If its not Exchange you have other options but it isn't easy) If the answer is yes, then you can go with either the 6600 or the Palm and sync directly to the Exchange server.

If you have an extra computer that can always be attached to your network, you could also setup (Since you said XV6600 I am assuming Verizon) Verizon's Wirelesssync which again works with the Treo or the XV6600.

Check this thread for details
    Wireless Sync

I have a feeling that IT won't support much outside the Blackberry but I've been wrong before. That makes it HARD to do anything.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

No - no BES here - the reason I got the Blackberry is just that the GM had one and liked it, so he wanted me to have one to be able to stay in touch with e-mail. No Exchange Server here either.

Syncing isn't really the issue as much as being able to access stuff when away from the office.

Well, what do you use as a mail sever? You won't have mobile calendering without some kind of groupware such as Lotus or Exchange.

If you are connecting to Pop/Imap you can get your mail wirelessly. Verizon's wirelesssync now supports Outlook and Pop to sync everything. (It used to only do pop email but now you can sync everything if your Outlook connects to a pop server without exchange)

PPTP VPN and you can access anything inside your internal network. (Cisco VPN and you are pretty much screwed)

Without information on what your setup is, no one can tell you what it will take to get a mobile device setup. I am done guessing as I have been completely wrong.

All E-mail is standard internet mail - pop3... syncing will be via cable connected to desktop (currently sync my Axim via Wi-Fi, but that isn't that big of a deal). Syncing calendar, contacts, to-do, notes, etc would just happen when back at the desktop.

I want to be able to get POP3 e-mail, AOL Instant Messenger, HTML Web Browsing and access via Windows Remote Desktop to a server at work while on the road.

With everything you mentioned go with a Pocket PC or a Treo. Pocket PC with Thunderhawk is probably the best for web browsing but also the most expensive. AOL IM is available for the Pocket PC. Most people said it worked.
    http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/wince/index.html

You can remote desktop with Terminal services or VNC.

Again, Verizon has Pop3 wirelesssync now available for all outlook data. I haven't used it but it seems to do what you want. You just need to keep a machine always on, on your network and you can do everything wirelessly.

Pocket Outlook (built-in), WebIS, QMail (free) all work well for POP3 mail.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

But how difficult is it to set this stuff up and make it work? I figured all of the pieces were available for either Palm or Windows Mobile - I was kinda surprised that some of it is available for the Blackberry.

I guess I need to investigate the verizon wirelesssync thing to see what all it does actually give you. I get the idea that it does more than just sync your contacts and stuff wirelessly (like I am doing my Axim)

Thanks for all of the help/thoughts/advice.... keep 'em coming!

I found it easy but I have been doing this for several years. If your server is setup correctly it shouldn't be that hard. There isn't much to setup as far as Pop. Wirelesssync, there isn't much to setup either. All the programs Beryl mentioned work well for pop. Profimail is another good one.

You have a 15-30 day trial period with any phone you buy depending on what state you are in. The only way you will find out is to buy one and try it out. If it doesn't work, return it.

I think PocketPC is your best bet for remote desktop. VNC isn't the same, I believe the citrix client for palms will also allow you to remote desktop but the native terminal services client that comes on the PocketPC out of the box is probably the best way to remote desktop. To get into servers at your work though, you'll need to have a VPN, I believe it's much easier to VPN than on a palm but someone else might have more information on the palm side as I'm not honestly as familiar with those devices as I am with PocketPC. From what it sounds like, a PocketPC based device, with the larger screen and native MS connectivity tools, will meet your needs more than anything else...
    Tom