+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Factory Backup

Factory Backup

First couple of times I used the installed XV-whatever backup program, it seemed to work fine (although I haven't had a hard reset to really test it).

Now everytime I use it I get these continual "file sharing violation" messages. Usually an unintelligible string of unknown numbers. You can skip them but that means you have to sit there staring at the screen waiting for the next one to come up or you'll never finish your backup. I've tried soft reset just before commencing along with turning off the phone radio, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas on what could be causing these?

Not sure about the errors, but do yourself a favor and get Sprite Backup.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

What does sprite backup do that activesync backup/restore can't ?

To backup my SD card I just do a file copy.

Thanks !

DLD

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Subject has been thoroughly discussed. Search.

Originally posted by RacerX10
    What does sprite backup do that activesync backup/restore can't ?

To backup my SD card I just do a file copy.

Thanks !

DLD

Don't care enough

DLD

Not to beat a dead horse, but I still have to ask one of two things:

Does anyone know how to make the onboard backup program function properly without all these file sharing/show stopping violations?

Are there more reasonably priced 3rd party back up programs than Sprite that people have had good results with? $29.95 is just too much.

I use xBackup that came with the XV6600. My routine is to soft reset, turn the radio off, then shut down any running programs using settings-system-memory-running programs. It almost always works. You may have a program that starts up on soft reset that is interfering with the backup.

Techie in a Cowboy Town
    Originally posted by halbender
    I use xBackup that came with the XV6600. My routine is to soft reset, turn the radio off, then shut down any running programs using settings-system-memory-running programs. It almost always works. You may have a program that starts up on soft reset that is interfering with the backup.
    Okay ... maybe I'm missing something .. but that seems like a whole lot of trouble to backup ... my entire business is on my phone ... I use Sprite to back it up AUTOMATICALLY daily after the work day ... seems like $29.99 is relatively cheap to ensure I can get it back when the dang thing crashes. I haven't had a hard reset yet ... on any ppc ... but I haven't wrecked my truck either ... and I have insurance on that ... why not on my data?

I will admit that someone screwed the pooch on this phone ... if your going to put a backup program on the phone ... make sure it works ... I couldn't even get it to work without 3rd party apps installed ... and the activesync backup/restore is not that reliable IMHO ... or maybe I just don't trust M$.

Just my two cents ... but the bottom line is we spend big bucks for the high tech data platforms ... why not fork over a little more for a reliable backup program?

Fuzzy
    Fuzzy
    Kyo 6035, Sam I300, Sam I330, Kyo 7315, Treo 600, Sam I600, Sam I700, GL1000, HP6315, SX56, PDA2K, Jam, Xv6600 W/cam, Treo 650, I730 Wm2K3, Treo 700W, I730 w/WM 5.0, XV6700, Moto Q (Silver), Treo 700WX, xv6700 wm6, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9m, Sam I760, xv6800, xv6900, Q9C, Touch Pro, iPhone 3G 16G, iPhone 3gs 32G ... not even gonna list the non converged units

You should, you bought an expensive piece of equipment. Now you should run the Rolls Royce of Backups on it. Heck, on my computer I use programs to do defrag, backup, etc. that didn't come with it by MS, so why would I use the low end version and risk losing anything.
    When I've had to hard reset, I've never lost anything using the Sprite backup. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Originally posted by RacerX10
    Don't care enough

DLD
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    > Don't care enough

That's ok. None of us care about your data either.

If you choose not to backup or not to backup using real backup software, that's ok. It's YOUR data loss.

Ehud
    p.s. It's not "xv-backup or whatever" nor is it "factory backup". If you can't describe what you already have, you can bet you're not going to get to what you need.

Originally posted by Ehud
    > Don't care enough

That's ok. None of us care about your data either.

If you choose not to backup or not to backup using real backup software, that's ok. It's YOUR data loss.

Ehud
    p.s. It's not "xv-backup or whatever" nor is it "factory backup". If you can't describe what you already have, you can bet you're not going to get to what you need.
    And I can bet that Ehud is not alone in this attitude.
    Imagine the sequence of events: Post here asking about backups; get good suggestions; ignore them; have a spontaneous hard reset and lose all your data; ask for help recovering it; listen to the laughter.
    I can hear it now.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Thanks, Halbender for the suggestion. I had tried that but it didn't seem to stop the errors. Maybe as Fuzzy says its just a flawed program or maybe I need to hard reset some bad mojo off my ppc (although I'm worried about what kind of restore I'll get with all the skipping I had to do just to get through the backup process)

Would still be interested in any ideas about a more reasonably priced 3rd party back up program. I thought there were a few out there but I'm not having much luck searching.

Just to be clear, I did not and am not denigrating the Sprite backup program, everyone seems to like it a lot, I just thought it a little high-priced.

Oh and E & T, I didn't ignore anyone's advice, I'm just pursuing alternatives and answers to my original question about the "factory" program (which I think would have been clear to anyone). So why don't you two toads just hop off my thread and go cyber-mug someone else?

Originally posted by zagleft1
    Just to be clear, I did not and am not denigrating the Sprite backup program, everyone seems to like it a lot, I just thought it a little high-priced.

Oh and E & T, I didn't ignore anyone's advice, I'm just pursuing alternatives and answers to my original question about the "factory" program (which I think would have been clear to anyone). So why don't you two toads just hop off my thread and go cyber-mug someone else?
    Wow. First time I've been called a toad, or any other derogatory name on any thread.

Pardon me, Z.
    I suppose I was just in a mood of sorts.

But it did sound like you were doing a little more than just looking for alternatives & answers to questions that, it looked to me like had already been responded to. And by the way, most of the software mentioned in these threads can be acquired for less than the sometimes unreasonable prices the major retailers ask for them. You just have to ask the right people- in the right way. [hint-hint-nudge-nudge]
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Thanks for the reply, Trident. I'm sorry I guess I was in my own mood. I do appreciate the advice you offer regularly. Have a good one.