+ Reply to Thread

Broken touchscreen, skip alignment?

I have a broken touchscreen that I've been putting off replacing. In the meantime I've been getting by using the phone buttons and keyboard. However something happened to cause the phone to do a reset (hard, likely...) and now it's forcing me to do an alignment to proceed. I can't do an alignment because my touchscreen is broken though Does anyone know of a way to bypass the alignment at startup...?

Anyone have any ideas?

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    I'm sure there are freeware ones out there (search the board), but I use Soti Pocket Controller to control my XV from my PC. I figure you can connect once to align the screen, although this is just a guess.
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    create "welcome.not" on sd card.

E

Originally posted by sputnik
    I'm sure there are freeware ones out there (search the board), but I use Soti Pocket Controller to control my XV from my PC. I figure you can connect once to align the screen, although this is just a guess.
    I am by no means an expert, but I think it's going to be fairly difficult to install Pocket Controller (or any other program) onto a device that's been hard-reset if you can't get past the touchscreen allignment.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Ehud, could you explain (or point me to a link) how to setup welcome.not. I did some searching and could find people talking about it, but now how to do it. It sounds promising for my problem. Thanks.

Activesync.

Create an empty file "welcome.not"

move to \ directory of storage card

ehud, enlighten me, what will this do? Im assuming skip alignment, but what else? whats the full purpose?

Unsubscribed.

E

Originally posted by robplatt
    ehud, enlighten me, what will this do? Im assuming skip alignment, but what else? whats the full purpose?
    It skips the welcome screen (thus alignment sequence) after a hard reset.

Take a gander at this post and this post, which allude to welcome.not.

Ok, I used another device to create an empty file named "welcome.not" and put it in the root directory of the SD card (I didn't have my pda sync cable at work, but had access to another device with a SD port). Then I did a soft reset, and still got the align screen.

Then I looked at a few of the posts calgarybear suggested. There ehud listed a few other steps:

Copy entire extended rom to \ on storage card.
    Edit config.txt and remove the call to TPDisable at the top.
    Add welcome.not empty file also in \.

I will try the above when I get home. So that leaves me with a few quick questions:
    1) Do I need the "extended rom" files, do I need to remove the tpdisable in the config.txt?
    2) What is / where can i find the "extended rom"?
    3) Can I access the pda file system if I haven't completed the align screen? I guess I'll find this out later at home... If not, is there some resource online that I can download those files from so I can gain access to my device?

Thanks

>... hard reset...

>...hard reset...

>Then I did a soft reset and...

Never involved in a flame war! sputnik's Avatar
    Originally posted by Trident
    I am by no means an expert, but I think it's going to be fairly difficult to install Pocket Controller (or any other program) onto a device that's been hard-reset if you can't get past the touchscreen allignment.
    Probably not

(but worth a shot, if nothing else works!)
    _______
    Spu|nik VZW Kyo 7135 / VZW XV6600 / Sprint Mogul / Sprint Touch Pro / Sprint Touch Pro 2 / Apple iPhone 4 / ???

That worked!!! I did the hard reset with welcome.not in the root directory of the SD card and it skipped the alignment screen. At first it came to the windows screen "touch the screen to begin calibration", then after 1 second it jumped straight to the today screen. My phone is usable once again! Thank you to everyone who replied with suggestions. Special thanks to ehud for the solution and calgaryben for the links.