+ Reply to Thread
    BA with wifi still can't be beat

Uninstall Programs - Who writes them

Is the developer or is Windows Mobile OS responsible for the uninstall programs on the PDA? I know on a desktop machine the developers write the uninstall routines (sometimes well, sometimes horribly) and Windows simply facilitates their execution. Is the same true on the PDA? I uninstalled Goodlink and it left files in Program Folders, all of its shortcuts, and dozens of entries in the registry. Should I blame Good for that or good ol Microsoft?
    SX66 (PH20B1)
    ROM: 1.40.00 WWE
    Radio: 1.13.00

Goodlink would be the culprit here. Perform a soft-reset and manually delete the files/folders.
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Even on PC's, it's not always the OS that performs install/uninstalls, if the application installer was writting in MSI format, which is a Microsoft installer standard, then the OS takes care of the installation based on the MSI file from the vendor. As for PPC's, the uninstall technology isn't nearly as advanced and it's built into the activesync add/remove programs functions which should reverse the actions taken when the .cab was originally installed. I don't believe the software vendor has much control over the uninstall process so I'd say blame MS.
    Tom

Sorry to disagree with you, but most programs uninstall fine. Some don't. Why would Microsoft pick-and-choose which ones it will uninstall and which ones it allows to stay against user's wishes, unless the software is controlling it?
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I have a suspicion it's because maybe some aspects of the program were in use or something that might cause it not to be installed, from what I can tell of the .cab based installations of PocketPC, once you package the .cab the uninstall is handled by activsync and is essentially the reverse of the installation. If files are in use I believe it will just leave them, hence why junk might be left behind. The installer tech. on the PocketPC's is very primitive compared to MSI technology on the PC's, it's like old school win3.1/95a installer technology.
    Tom

Maybe you're right. Could be a combination of both.

I just know from the pocketPC installs I've written, that I didn't have any control over the install/uninstall process, even using a professional repackaging tool like Wise Package Studio...
    Tom