+ Reply to Thread

SMS to Landline works great from the 6600

So the other day I accidentally sent a SMS message to someones Land line. My phone got an SMS saying that it wasn't a Cell phone, but that with Sprint's new Text to Land line service, they were going to make the attempt to send the message anyway. SO I tried it again last night. I sent myself an SMS to my home number, my home phone rang, Caller ID showed my cell number. I answered the phone, the female operator said I had a message, press 1 to hear. The digital operator read my text message to me and asked if I'd like to reply. I said yes and was able to select 1 of 5 replies or record a voice message, which in turn was relayed back to my 6600 (works on my 6700 too and perhaps all phones?). Pretty cool stuff. I guess its limited time Beta, so try it out. (Standard SMS rates apply).
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Doesn't work for me. I do have the unlimited SMS on my plan and use SMS to mobile phones all the time. Let's try to narrow this down:

Phone: Sprint PPC-6600
    Location sending from: Salt Lake, Utah
    Roaming: No, had Sprint service
    Location sent to: Salt Lake, Utah
    Phone company of landline: Qwest
    Result: never got message, never got SMS saying it was going to a landline

Anyone else?

I just tried it. I got the call on my phone and the text message was read to me. I replied back with voice, but haven't gotten it yet. Does the reply come back as a text message or a voicemail?

Just to keep it going:
    Location sending from: York, SC
    Location sent to: York, SC
    Phone company of landline: BellSouth
    Result: Recieved text message on phone, haven't recieved reply on PPC-6600

EDIT: Took a while, but I finally got the responses back on my phone.
    Last edited by Bearxor; 10-24-2005 at 11:07 PM.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

heh.. i just tried it out

Location sending from: Novato, CA
    Location sent to: Novato, CA
    Phone company of landline: SBC
    Result: Recieved text message on phone, haven't recieved reply on PPC-6600

*edit* just received the confirmation saying i sent it

*edit #2* just got the response
    Last edited by celiruss; 10-24-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    PPC6600
    2.04.00 WWE
    HA01_151 IS-683A+1xEV converted 10029 (with no EV entries :( )

just tried it.. and it works... is there a cost for this or does it just use your minutes for making the outgoing call to the landline

I've used it a few times.
    Works well.
    I believe that if you have a compatible caller ID on the landline, it will just print on that. Otherwise, it will have the electronic voice read it. (SU posts say that it only does the text to voice conversion.)
    The replies come back to you as voicemail.

I heard about this a little while ago and believe that it was free for a little while (was supposed to end October 12, but extended).
    According to the thread at sprintusers.com the testing will be over on January 12. Don't know how they are charging, but I'm guessing that they are doing so. A few posts indicated that it would be $0.99/msg assessed to the sending party. Seems kinda steep to me. I wouldn't do it for that amount.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

me either... thx for the rapid reply and good info

Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

lol it works nice! I sent a message to my girlfriend saying "I love you" and she replied back calling me a geek LOL.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png