+ Reply to Thread

Search contacts via telephone number

Is there a way to search contacts on the PPC by phone number instead of name?
    On the regular Contacts list in Outlook, there is an advanced search feature that allows this, but I haven't found a way to do this on the PPC.
    I did search and found FingerClix, but it would be nice to just have an app that integrates with POutlook.
    My issue is that sometimes when a call comes in, it is not recognized as being in my contacts list, so it doesn't show the name of the person. I haven't figured out why it works only about 80% of the time on random names. If a number shows up without being recognized and I want to check to see if it is a number I have in my contacts list, I'd like to be able to search using just the number.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-25-2005 at 02:50 PM.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

i hear that.. it annoys the hell out of me, i wonder if one of those callerid picture apps would help...

hell... sometimes, nothing shows up in the balloon
    PPC6600
    2.04.00 WWE
    HA01_151 IS-683A+1xEV converted 10029 (with no EV entries :( )

Originally posted by celiruss
    i hear that.. it annoys the hell out of me, i wonder if one of those callerid picture apps would help...

hell... sometimes, nothing shows up in the balloon
    I'm using PhotoContacts 1.2 and have started using the pictures part of it. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Like I said, 80% success; sounds good to some, but I find it very annoying. I don't know everyone's numbers and certainly don't recognize an odd client number or friends second cellphone just by the number.
    And you're right, about 5% of the time, the balloon is just blank.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

the weird thig is that it's actually kinda consistant as to who it shows up for on my phone.
    PPC6600
    2.04.00 WWE

Not me. Some people show up 5-10 times on a "missed call" list with the name, then the same exact number shows up, but no name.
    I have quite a few numbers listed with *67 before them to block my number from showing up when I dial out, so I thought it might be because the PPC/contacts/caller id couldn't extract the number from the number as listed with the prefix. So I put the number in a secondary listing (like mobile2 within the same contact) to "help" get it recognized. No difference.
    [By the way, those numbers with prefixes attached DO show up correctly even without secondary no-prefix numbers included with the same frequency as non-prefixed numbers.]
    Peace ~ Trident

that's weird.. it's only certain phonebook entries that i have problems with no matter what rom i've used... i have however restored the same phonebook since i got the phone, so maybe that has something to do with it...
    PPC6600
    2.04.00 WWE

Pocket Informant will do this...very nicely actually....I enter in an area code to find people I know in an area....of course there's other data....805 will yield all those with 805.555.1212 as well as 213.805.1212 as well as 805 south 1st street.....

But it still does the trick for what I need it to do

OMG.
    I think I'm in love.
    Pocket Informant is Awesome!

Please just tell me that it isn't going to have a bunch of conflicts with everything else (mainly the usual culprit, VoiceCommand) or that it isn't going to get to be a buggy memory hog.
    Peace ~ Trident

jt3
    With ANY Windows Mobile PDA, you can search by phone number by going to Start --> Programs --> Find. In the "Find" field there, just enter ANY PART of the phone number, and it will come up with any items that contain that information, including contacts.
    Last edited by jt3; 10-26-2005 at 09:22 AM.

That does seem to work, but not as effectively or efficiently as Pocket informant. It doesn't catch numerical sequences if they are seperated by a "-" or other punctuation and only works in MS programs... not 3rd party software.
    But thank you. Good to know in a pinch.
    Peace ~ Trident

People have had good luck with idial and fingerclix.

Dial a name
    Cab files on Ehuds site?

I bought pocket breeze and contact breeze. Contact breeze is another tab within pocket breeze and works great. I can get to my contacts straight from the today screen.
    http://www.sbsh.net/products/contactbreeze/

I use Voice Command for most of my dialing needs though.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

jt3
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. PI is very nice, but not everyone uses it, and there are certainly limits to what you can do with the OEM software. Still, it does work for the most part. I typically just use it to scan for the last four digits of the phone number. That gets me around the "-" issue.