+ Reply to Thread

Windows Media Player, Version 10

I am considering upgrading my XV6600 so that it has Windows Media Player, Version 10. From what I've read at myehud.com/xv6600, it looks like a hard reset is required as part of the process. Since I have a fair number of 3rd party programs on the XV6600, a fair amount of time will be required. Is WMP10 for the XV6600 "worth it?" Any details about what will be gained (or lost) would be appreciated.

Also, if WMP10 is really the only upgrade I'm seeking, is there an easier way?

Finally, I recently upgraded the Bluetooth so it now supports Hi-Fi. Will that be affected if I install WMP10?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Re: Windows Media Player, Version 10

Originally posted by PPC_LAW
    Also, if WMP10 is really the only upgrade I'm seeking, is there an easier way?

From what I've read, 2.03 gets everything that 2.04 gets except for the BT 3600 stack. Both have WMP10 and improved SMPT handling. Both will require the addition of the A2DP BT upgrade to use stereo equipment. I'm using 2.03 with the 3900B BT + A2DP upgrades and and am quite satisfied. I'm just not willing to put out the effort to do the 2.04 upgrade- 2.03 is much easier.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-25-2005 at 11:25 PM.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

2.04 was an easy update with the supplied instructions. All you have to do is be able to read. (Thanks to the guys that put the instructions up!)
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Originally posted by BetaMan
    2.04 was an easy update with the supplied instructions. All you have to do is be able to read. (Thanks to the guys that put the instructions up!)
    While I certainly don't want to debate your opinion about the ease of the update for someone like myself whose ability to perform tasks is being equated with reading ability... all I pointed out was that 2.03 is much easier than 2.04 since it has an installer and doesn't require the use of command lines, SD cards/readers or anything else other than an activesync connection. I'm quite confident in my ability to read, but a little less so to take on the somewhat complicated & technical instructions, despite the "encouragement" of a few people. I know my limitations & my needs. And since I can read, when I look at those instructions I know that they require somewhat more than just that ability and that the results are more than I need.

For someone, like myself, who is only asking for an easy way to get WMP10, it was my opinion that 2.03 was easier. Since this person also has only 2 posts, it might be good to guess that they are not that experienced with the machine yet and don't want to make the additional effort. But that's just my guess.

I'm sure that the people that did the difficult work of finding, experimenting and writing out the instructions (for both 2.03 & 2.04) did awesome work and in no way find my comments insulting as they were not intended to be.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

>PPC_LAW

What kind of law do you practice?

Ehud

Before we go about saying how easy it is to go to 2.04, I would like to remind people that one person lost his hard drive by doing it. You can too. I agree with you Betaman, if you can follow instructions it isn't that hard, but obviously there is some danger involved if you can format a hard drive in the process. Heck, people have superglued their Stylus to their pocket pc following your instructions and you only had one line!

2.03 is far less risky/far easier if all you want is WMP 10.

--------------------------
    Ehud -
    Stupid Question #1
    What are the two stupid questions?

And - I don't agree
    There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitve idiots.
    http://www.despair.com/cluelessness.html
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

It's not that there are "two" stupid questions, it's that there are too stupid questions.

As in:
    "there are no such things as stupid questions."
    Yes, "There are TOO such things as stupid questions."

...and if you think there are no such things as stupid questions, you need to
    a. Check out "Here's your sign"
    b. Listen to the Miers confirmation hearings
    c. Listen to any question Jesse Jackson asks the Bush Administration that starts with "Why for"

E
    Disclosure: I'm not a member of either party currently leading the washington media cesspool.

Any details about whether WMP 10 is worth it? What do you get, and what do you lose?

Of course I mean WMP10 as applied to the XV6600!

My law practice is pretty comprehensive. I handle mostly civil matters, including estate planning, business activities, litigation, and almost anything else that I find compelling, interesting, or just plain old "worth my time and effort!"

C'mon E, you didn't give me the benefit of the doubt. I put the wink in and everything. I guess I should have quoted two too.

As far as WMP 10, if you want to use DRM music from subscription sites then its worth it. I am using Yahoo unlimited. Downside is you'll have to reinstall everything as restoring is not recommended after a rom update. 2.03 you have a chance of ending up in bootloader but that is easily fixed. 2.04 you have a chance of formatting your hard drive as stated earlier.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

>Ehud

So what do you do to make a living?

PPC_LAW

I thought I read somewhere about problems in Bluetooth head stereo phones with WM10 on build 2.03-4. Some thing about not being able to use the play, RW, FW and stop buttons of the blue tooth head sets. For the like life of me I am unable to find it.

Can anyone fill in here.
    HTC8925 Tilt ATT
    VX6600WC Rom 2.07(Wanted WM5)
    (on hold)I730WOC-WM5 Upgrade
    HA01,151, Moto850HS, 2GB SD, Moto BT Head Phones

PPC_Law> Ehud makes a living scanning/scrutinizing all the messages posted on this website.............spends way too much time on it so I would say he doesn't have a job if he has too much time on his hands/fingers to be live on this website.

It did seem a bit odd that Ehud would ask me about my career, and then ignore my similar inquiry. Oh well...I guess it's none of my business. Fair enough. I can live with the suspense.

Anyway, I have another WMP question. I'm still using version 9. On my VX6600, it lists and plays all tracks in descending order. Is there a way to correct this so the tracks will play in the correct order? (Perhaps I reset some other list order somewhere and this was an unintended consequence...?) Of course, I know that I can manually reorder the tracks, but there must be a better way than that! I have not spent time on the Microsoft website to see if the answer is there, but perhaps someone already knows the answer and will share the info here.

Also, any more feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of WMP Version 10 would be appreciated.

LOL, hes like Bobby Brown, no one will ever understand him. I have had wm10 for a while. The reason I updated was because it allowed me smtp auth. on my server. But a update to wm10 is not worth the update unless you are using your xv for fun and games . no offense!!!!!!!

ok PPC_Law and Ehud... just whip them out on the table, Tom you got your ruler?
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Yahoo Unlimited and Windows Media 10

I loaded 2.03 it seems fine except Windows Media 10 will not play anything saying the file is corrupted or the wrong file type. I have tried WMA files both licensed and not, along with movie clips and music that played fine in WM9. I am also trying to use it with Yahoo Music Unlimited.

Another poster claims to use this service after upgrading to 2.03, WM10. Has anyone else had any luck here, or advise for me?

Yahoo Unlimited and Windows Media 10

I loaded 2.03 it seems fine except Windows Media 10 will not play anything saying the file is corrupted or the wrong file type. I have tried WMA files both licensed and not, along with movie clips and music that played fine in WM9. I am also trying to use it with Yahoo Music Unlimited.

Another poster claims to use this service after upgrading to 2.03, WM10. Has anyone else had any luck here, or advise for me?