+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Charging problem via USB

I have been using a USB sync/ charge cable at work. Sometimes when I plug it in the amber charge light comes on but the phone does not charge in fact with only active sync running it discharges. I start the day at 80% and by lunch down to 45-50% with little or no use. I have to unplug it to make it to the end of the day. Most of the time it works fine, charges to 100% and holds. The only difference I have noticed is that on days that it discharges I started with less than 90% battery level. Has anyone else had a problem with this or any ideas what it may be? Thanks

PS. I found a post that had a similar problem but there was no response as to what it may be.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Yes. I have two cables.
    One is a Lil' Sync Pro, that used to work great... BUT NOW while it still charges fine shows up as "unknown device" instead of a pocket pc.

The other is the coiled one with changeable ends sold by someone here... which glows amber, but DOES NOT CHARGE. not only that, because it "thinks" it's charging, it runs with the screen on bright, and discharges even quicker.

Ehud

Thanks E. Any ideas... bad cable conection (it seems nice and secure).... USB port on computer (tried two different computers same problem)... the only thing I have noticed that is different is the battery level when I first connect it. Another interestesting thing is that the screen is not on and I have no other programs running but it discharges quickly, would not make it through the end of the day if it was left plugged in.

Ok I will bump this just once and then I will let it die. I have found 2 posts with the exact same problem but no solutions. Of course there may not be a solution other than trying to get a new phone or buying multiple a/c chargers. Thanks

kiteboarder, why dont you just cradle it at work? then carry around a datacable + ac/dc (combined unit) adapter.

I use the cradle at home. I could use it at work but then I would have the same problem at home. That is that the sync/charge would not charge my phone if the battery level is below about 80%. The whole point of buying the sync/charge cable was so I did not have to carry or purchase another a/c charger. I commute by bicycle as often as I can and if I leave the house without the battery at 100% and I listen to music on my ride chances are I am going to be below 80%. Also since it shows that it is charging, unless I check it will fall below 20% before I start my ride home.
    If I understand what Ehud is saying is that he uses his Lil' Sync Pro to charge his phone and his other sync cable to sync with his computer. I would guess that this is a pain in the ….
    Mine seems dependant on battery level which just burns me and also means purchasing another USB charger will probably do me no good. It also seems that it is the phone. What I was hoping for was for someone to say that they had the same problem (which I have found) until I did this….. run the update form Audiovox, switched charging/sync cables, whatever ( which I have not found).
    BTW I have been a long time lurker on this forum and appreciate all of the help you, Ehud, Hobbes, d2tw4all (tom) and many others have been. Thanks guys.

try turning the light off while its plugged in to your usb and see if it'll charge at that point..

usb charges very slowly. thats why the cradle comes with a wall adapter.

On days when I noticed it was not charging (plugged in with the amber light on) I made sure the back light was off and watched the battery level falling. It falls much faster plugged in with no programs running (other than active sync) and the backlight off etc. than if I unplug it. Even with all of the above it seems like not only is it not charging at all, not even slowly, but discharging relatively quickly. This can be explained I guess by active sync running.
    On days that it is working (like today I rode in but had 100% charge when I left the house so was about 90% when I plugged it in) it was fully charged green light by 10:00 and I used the phone about 7-8 times.

were you in low service?
    where you in 1x or evdo?

No, 2-3 bars of service everywhere around my desk and today it is plugged into the same lcoation as it was last week when it would not charge.
    1x I am on Sprint

under that circumstance your phone should charge or hold a current charge, not discharge.

i take it your using the oem battery. my big battery takes more than a night to charge fully off usb only. but... man i dont know.

pick up that ac/dc adapter and use the wall at work and just sync before you leave.

I am using the oem battery.
    I guess it is a problem with the phone but since I don't want to send it back I will just buy an ac adapter and be forced to carry both sync and charger with me.
    Thanks again for the help.

reemmber to buy the charger that has the ac AND dc adapters (car and wall). its a combo unit.

I've been using a sync cable from SuntekStore and it charges both the OEM and Mugen v3 2400 batteries just fine - fairly quickly too. I've used it in both USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports without issue. It even has a place on the connector to plug in a power brick should you need it. The picture they have of it on their website isn't exactly like the cable I received.

http://www.suntekstore.com/audiovox-...rge-cable.html

Nice to know I'm not alone

Kiteboarder -- thanks for your post. At least I know that the on-again, off-again charging capability of my charger is shared by others. I couldn't may any sense of it.

Doug
    Doug Coates

Not enough current?

I have bought a charging USB cable + Wall2USB adapter + Car2USB adapter.

My understanding is that the device providing current/voltage to charge the phone needs to provide more than it takes off of the phone. Pretty much like 2 tanks of water connected by a pipe: if the pressure on tank A is larger than the pressure on tank B the water will flow from A to B.

Now, the USB cable charges well from Laptop/Desktop to Phone at about 1% of battery every 1 minute and 10 seconds (same as the factory wall charger).

If there is a non-powered hub between the desktop's USB port and the current that it puts out is a fraction of the standard USB port and the phone quickly discharges.

When the cable is plugged into the Car2USB, the phone charges the fastest (1% every 1 minute).

When plugged into the Wall2USB, it charges for a while, especially if SD card is removed, lights are off, network is off etc... and most importantly, if the battery is low. Once the phone' battery starts to get higher in voltage and the phone still expects to draw the same current from the Wall2USB adapter, such adapter seems to be unable to keep up and shuts on and off continuosly.

The guess I made from my experience is that the phone draws a lot of current (not surprisingly so: it has a typical capacity for the battery, a really short charging time = 2 hrs, a typical charging voltage).

The stronger the source you are charging from, the most likely your cable will work.

In particular, try to use another computer (desktop probably better) with no other USB devices connected (they might share from the same 500 mA). Try using the cable on a Car2USB adapter (12-14 V DC of the car and lots of Amps available seem to satisfy the phone).
    Try using a powered USB hub to see if you get better results.

Finally, if your cable has some resistive component built-in, it might be dropping the voltage a little (or a lot, given how much current the phone draws) and that prevent your phone to charge when it's voltage gets higher.

I returned my Wall2USB for a different one that hopefully will be able to supply more current and still hold the voltage to 5V.

I found that since I am at work 8 - 10 hours a day, I have my main charger at work and when I get home I use the USB cradle to charge the phone. I find it a great way to always have my phone fully charged. Plus while at work I listen to streaming music nearly 7 hours a day (glad sprint vision is just 1 price) so I'm not so sure the USB charge would keep up w/ that type of demand.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Curt.. the cable you reference is very similar to the one I have. Mine is actually the Pocket Solutions coil charge /sync. It does not seem to be the cable or the connection since it works 90% of the time and when it does not I have tried adjusting the connecter, changing USB ports etc.

''Once the phone' battery starts to get higher in voltage and the phone still expects to draw the same current from the Wall2USB adapter, such adapter seems to be unable to keep up and shuts on and off continuosly.'

Clappy, the problem I am having is exactly opposite of the problem you are describing. My phone will not charge when the battery level is below about 80%.
    I also have tried it with 2 different desktop computers with the same results. There were no other USB devices pugged in. I guess it could be that when the draw from the phone exceeds a certain level and the USB ports are shutting down the charge (if that is even possible).

kiteboarder,

It is possible that when too much current is drawn from the USB, the motherboard shuts it down to prevent damages. In fact, I had an older laptop that would even blue-screen Windows when that happened. To check that, you may want to try an externally powered USB hub and see if that can handle it.

Originally posted by kiteboarder
    Curt.. the cable you reference is very similar to the one I have. Mine is actually the Pocket Solutions coil charge /sync. It does not seem to be the cable or the connection since it works 90% of the time and when it does not I have tried adjusting the connecter, changing USB ports etc.
    The one I have isn't coiled and has a socket for the power brick on the connector that plugs into the phone. I have used mine to charge the phone when it had 20% battery left and I've never had a problem. My phone is normally turned on, plugged into my laptop sync'd up. I've also turned off USB sync and connected to the internet via Bluetooth and it still charges.

I looked the cable over - I can't find any distinguishing markings on it anywhere.