Closed Thread

Thread: Compusa Tap

Compusa Tap

Well good news out there to the folks that bought there ppc6600 from Compusa and bought tap. the are starting to carry the PPC6700. so today was a good day for me as anyone here that buys there pda's from compusa knows how that works. took my 6600 in and exchanged it for the 6700 at no cost just bought the new tap for it. on there combo devices like phone/pda's are still a instore exchange with tap. just thought there would be a few out there that would like to know this.

spr
    Cool so does that mean that sprint will release the 6700 on the consumer side now or soon?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    > Cool so does that mean...

/SNIPPED/
    E
    p.s. It's called Fraud if you do it. If you plan to do it and tell others how, it's Conspiracy to Commit Fraud. Either way that's not what these forums are about.
    Last edited by Ehud; 10-26-2005 at 10:29 PM.

What is tap? I've never bought a phone from Compusa, but I might be getting mhy next one there after hearing this.

How much does tap cost? Anyone have any details on what tap is and all the associated fees and limitations?

spr
    /SNIPPED/
    Last edited by spr; 10-26-2005 at 10:44 PM.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    /SNIPPED/
    Last edited by Ehud; 10-26-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Come on folks, stop the flames, they only burn and cause more pain. Be nice, play nice...

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Ehud / spr, this kind of stuff is not allowed and uncalled for. NO personal insults, attacks, etc. will be tolerated, regardless of how justified YOU think you are. It always spirals, and has NOTHING to do with the topic... and has NOTHING to do with helping other people with PDAPhone issues. It simply takes up our bandwidth and wastes people's time. This incident has tied up a moderator and administrator's time and we have better things to do that this.

Now, back to the topic. TAP is CompUSA's extended warranty program. I have had mixed results with it, and it seems like its more geared toward people that want to commit fraud, than those that simply want to warranty their PDAPhone. Regardless of what the thing says in the contract they give you (it says they'll replace your PDAPhone with the same or similar... simply that), what they actually do is give you a gift card equal to what you paid for it. At least that was my experience. If you are dealing with a device that you bought from them without a cellular plan, then this isn't necessarily a problem. If you are working from one you bought for a low price with a plan, then it might not work out so good for you... because your replacement would be without a plan. I had a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone on that plan. It broke, and I wanted the exact same one as replacement. I was offered a gift card, and then I would had to pay another $250 to get the replacement... because thats what their price was for it at that time. Ironically, there is no mention of a gift card anywhere in the TAP documentation or contract... it is simply their internal policy. The TAP contract says they'll replace it... period.

Here is where the fraud thing enters. TAP is $99 replacement for 2 years... from breakage or defect. So, people might be tempted to drop their PDAPhone on purpose so that the screen breaks, and then take it in for replacement. Of course, they'd wait until the one they have is discontinued and replaced by a newer model to do it. While this is completely illegal to do, it is virtually impossible for them to prove. In my case, I dropped mine and wanted to have it replaced by the exact same device.... and they wouldn't do that. After much argument and escalation to different parts of CompUSA, I finally retreated and waited until a new PDAPhone came out that I wanted. Fortunately I could still use the broken one with the cracked glass.
    Mike - Been Converged?