+ Reply to Thread

64$ bluetooth gps? good deal?

You might have better luck finding reviews over at GPS Passion. I tend to stay away from lesser known companies. I've been using the Socket GPS unit for 2 years now and it has performed flawlessly.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Hi Big,
    What software do you use for socket?

i really would like to order a gps unit asap because of an upcoming trip but I really dont have time to read about them. I heard tomtom is the software to go.

if i do go to the tomtom route, is this all i need?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=1&Language=4

tomtom is the bomb! the $299 package you listed includes the GPS and the software, that's all you'd need.
    Tom

hi, why such a bad review? 1 star out of 5?

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=394

There are two different chips out now for GPS. I have the high rent Holux 236 which cost me about $130, but it picks up a signal at the bottom of a well. Its cheaper cousin costs about $80 as is just as good as the top of the line a year or so ago. This puppy might have the older cheaper chip in it and so might be a bargan... but would make an informed choice on chipset before buying.

I have used both DeLorme and iGuidance software. The later is easier to use for me and costs extra. This thing seemsto come with software... if so might be a real buy if it covers the ol' USA. Otherwise software might just be to check connections. Holux comes with that for free.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Almost any GPS reciever will be adequate for auto navigation. The software and maps are the key ingredients for a useful setup. I am very happy with my GPS 10 from Garmin (~$200) which comes with software and maps for the US and Canada. There are several other packages out there, I have no experience with them. I have heard from people who have been unhappy with the maps and software. Make sure you can return whatever you buy.
    Stairman

hi,
    can your software do 3d maps, have voice prompts, and reroute when you take a different turn?

Originally posted by stairman
    Almost any GPS reciever will be adequate for auto navigation. The software and maps are the key ingredients for a useful setup. I am very happy with my GPS 10 from Garmin (~$200) which comes with software and maps for the US and Canada. There are several other packages out there, I have no experience with them. I have heard from people who have been unhappy with the maps and software. Make sure you can return whatever you buy.

Get TomTom (software only) and a Globalsat BT338 - you won't regret it.
    Verizon XV6700 - Sony HBH660 - Globalsat BT338 GPS - AData 2GB miniSD - Parrot CK3100.

Mine has voice navigation and reroutes "on the fly." No 3d views. I think the voice prompts are the most important feature. The 6600 screen is hard to see in some light conditions, and I don't want to look away from the road too much anyway. The next feature is going to be turn by turn voice navigation that will pronounce the street names rather than just "Turn left in 400 feet." I believe that some of the high end dedicated units have this now, I don't think any of the software packages for ppc have it.
    Stairman

With the Socket unit, I have been using TomTom. I've also used it with Navigon but had terrible stability problems. Went over to TomTom4 (now TomTom5) and can't complain too much. Somie intial problems with the application, but that was traced back to trying to install on the memory card instead of Main Memory. Also had some issues with Phone Alarm; after installing PhoneAlarm wouldn't show up on the Today Screen. Did some tweaking and got past that. The only thing left is I've noticed the GPS cutting in and out...but usually while I'm dorking around with preferences. So I have to take a road test to get a real understanding of that situation.

But the Socket GPS unit itself is great, no complaints. If you live in an area with heavy foliage or tall buildings, you may want to spring for one of the newer units that uses the newer chipset...I forget the name. As mentioned before, those new chipsets have excellent reception qualities.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Convergitated
    Originally posted by mlr69
    Get TomTom (software only) and a Globalsat BT338 - you won't regret it.
    This is what I have and I second this recommendation. The only weakness of TomTom is it has no ‘map cutter’ for you to make your own map sections. Because of that, some other packages may be better suited to cross country travel.

You might check out iGuidance too - I think that seems to be what most of the folks around here are using (including me!) - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Originally posted by sheureka
    You might check out iGuidance too - I think that seems to be what most of the folks around here are using (including me!) - sheureka
    I concur. I have the newest version (2.1.3NA) of iGuidance and I love it. I have the BT iTrek M3 and it works flawlessly w/the iGuidance. It has turn by turn voice, auto color change for day & night driving, comes on 1 dvd AND you get it for BOTH the ppc & your laptop. You don't have to decide if you want one or the other. It also has points of interest like FOOD and stores, which is helpful as I just moved from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale & don't know my way around yet.

As for the iTrek M3, I work in the main FPL building in Juno & I can still pick up 6-8 satellites from inside the building.

David
    Last edited by diveriter; 11-03-2005 at 10:52 PM.
    If those who know share.... More can share to those who don't.